MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Hybrid Goose - what’s the make-up?

blueridge

Have any of you seen one like this?? Greylag x Canada hybrid? Escaped barnyard concoction?? Said to be fraternizing with canada geese. 42” long, black feet, black beak tip, no nose hump. Weird combination.

9ABFB1A8-91B4-4201-8E1F-ACF624E74F50.jpeg
4CAAB87C-AA9D-473B-8FA1-8685AF6E2622.jpeg
1C03E841-2360-4D43-85E0-820E102529E0.jpeg

Last edited:
I think ya’ll have it right. Juvenile Mute Swan. Thanks for the identification! It was driving me crazy.

Even though I didn’t personally get it, I was glad to see that there are no take restrictions. In fact, as @F250 pointed out its being an invasive species, my state is very against their propagation and has a year round open season.

Last edited:
@F250 What makes you say that is juvie mute swan? I was looking at photos of all the young trumpeter swans from my backyard and it appears to be a match

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure it’s an immature tundra swan. Immature Mute would still have a fleshy knob on the bill. Immature trumpeter would be much larger and have black at both the base and tip of bill, with pink center. Immature tundra is smaller, and have a mostly solid pink bill, lighter at the base.

Edit: I tried to attach pics for each showing the differences, but it won’t let me for some reason.

I’m pretty sure it’s an immature tundra swan. Immature Mute would still have a fleshy knob on the bill. Immature trumpeter would be much larger and have black at both the base and tip of bill, with pink center. Immature tundra is smaller, and have a mostly solid pink bill, lighter at the base.

Edit: I tried to attach pics for each showing the differences, but it won’t let me for some reason.
I'm basing it off the grayish head and neck. Tundra juvie typically don't have the darker head and necks, just the body I thought while trumpeter swans are grey throughout

Interesting, all the tundra juivies I see and have shot here in NC have never had pink on there bill. Is that due to them being an older juvenile at that point around November-January timeframe? At what point does the bill go all black?
That makes sense. By the time they molt to adult plumage it should be black, but they are long gone here by then so I don’t have a good guess when or how fast that transition occurs. Here they often look kind of dusty gray when they come through, but it’s going to vary somewhat by individual. I suppose late hatchers would be behind the curve.

That makes sense. By the time they molt to adult plumage it should be black, but they are long gone here by then so I don’t have a good guess when or how fast that transition occurs. Here they often look kind of dusty gray when they come through, but it’s going to vary somewhat by individual. I suppose late hatchers would be behind the curve.
They are still grey when they make it down here which is how we tell they are the tender ones. I think I met someone on another forum that did a study on them, wonder if he will know.

IMG-20231112.jpg

YUP swan

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back