Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Hunting/Survival knife suggestion?

Billy02

When hunting a deer, what knife can be used to slice a deer after you have hunted, lets say you want to bbq its meat, what knife is best to be used in the wild?

Most people don't take a knife to slice off a steak in the field. They might have one back at camp though. Any good quality chefs knife you have at home will do the trick.
That $18 knife will give you $1 worth of value on a piece of junk. Swords.com, really?
Don't waste your money.

The first 5 posts are always the most entertaining and this one is no different. I have a feeling that there will be a lot of these as more folks who are not hunters get interested in the food aspect of hunting and start looking for information.

To the OP, most any knife will cut deer meat. Some people will slice off a piece of backstrap or the heart to cook at camp.

I am partial to knives with D2 steel. I like the steel as I can get it really sharp and its holds its edge nicely. With respect to what mtmuley points out, I accidentally cut my fingers - took 13 stitches to close it up. I now carry a cut-proof glove with me.

I have a survival type knife. I dont use it for hunting.

It is a SOG Seal Pup Elite.

i mean back at camp, not in the field of course. usually i use a kitchen knife, but i was wondering to get something specific for hunts. if its lost or broken at least you don't worry to ruin kitchen set.

If you are processing a deer back at camp I like a good fish filet knife. I carry two in my RV and can debone a buck and slice anything I want to cook while camping. Normally for us we just cook the heart and or liver but you can slice those with any knife.

Probably the best you can do is haunt the antique shops for an old carbon steel Green River style skinner. For a knife you aren't carrying with you in the field, get commercial knives by Forschner or Dexter-Russell. They hold an edge better and don't have any fancy extras to get in the way. I bought three Forschner "sliming knives"- commercial fishing knives that have since been discontinued- that are my main butchering knives. They don't come out into the field. My carry knife (knives, actually) is a Schrade Sharp Finger. I have one on my belt and two more in my pack. I am thinking of trying the Havalons this year, though. Keep in mind, every cut you make is an oxidation surface. My general approach is to leave meat in the largest possible pieces until I am back home, in a controlled environment, cutting and wrapping for the freezer. If I am going to eat something in the field, it's usually liver, heart or tenderloin.

Get a Victorinox or Dexter-Russell Boning Knife for like $20. They are good knives for the money

This if you want to slice meat in camp and general chores. If you want 'survival' and are going to baton wood, pry stuff, and otherwise abuse your knife, a Becker Knife and Tool BK16 is an affordable choice. I reground my blade to a convex bevel and it actually is nice for breaking down an elk, and it's what I have in camp for just about everything.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back