Hunting/Survival knife suggestion?

Ask your dad to borrow his old folding buck knife. It will do it all. Learn how to sharpen a knife and you are good to go.

Ask your dad to borrow his old folding buck knife. It will do it all. Learn how to sharpen a knife and you are good to go.

What?! Learn to actually sharpen a knife? That's preposterous in today's instant gratification society. That's why those disposable blade knives are so popular.
Guys will spend thousands on the latest and greatest camo, thousands on the latest wazoo rifle to shoot 1000+ yards, backpack in several miles to hunt unspoiled wilderness, but will not take the time to learn how to sharpen a real knife. :confused:

I've been a fan of Camillus knives for a long time, they come super sharp and stay that way and even if they start to lose their edge a couple strokes across a sharpening pen and you're back in business. The set I carry when I'm hunting has a 4" fixed blade with a paracord wrapped handle and a tiny 1.5" blade that's perfect for separating joints.
Like others mentioned, I use a filet knife to do all my trimming and cutting steaks, that flexible blade makes removing sinew and fat super easy.

As a chef, I have strong opinions about knives. For kitchen knives, I prefer Henckel. They last forever, hold a good edge and are easy to sharpen. The balance is also top notch. For camp, I would suggest an 8" boning knife. If it's sharp, it can do anything from fillet a fish to carving off a steak. For pocket/edc/skinning knife, I prefer the kershaw blur in s30v steel. Super strong and versatile!

I think a havalon or outdoor edge is sufficient for all you want to do out in the field.

I carry /use the Kershaw Alaskan Blade tradder . It has been in my pack for years and years . It's a little heavy but it works just fine for me !
It's going to get its work out again this fall !!

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back