Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Hunting Rifle Purgatory

3 years ago I would have said 300 Win Mag. Today? 300 PRC. It's a "new and improved" 300 WM. I was also after a bigger, longer, more ballistically efficient, hard hitting caliber and ended up deciding on 300 PRC. Its a real pain to find ammo for it right now but it's out there and seems to be available in waves. So when you find some anywhere buy as much as you would reasonably need because when its gone it will be a while before its back again.

I feel your pain, I too have convinced my wife that I need a new rifle and it just so happens that she needs a new something or other that cost a lot of money too. Now sportsmen's just needs to get the rifle and scope in that I want to buy. Any idea when Weatherby and Leupold are going get stores fully stocked?
Keep an eye on 2023 or 2024

Last edited:
By this time you may have made your choice, but I doubt you would have gotten a rifle much less ammunition for it. The 6.5 Creedmoor has been mentioned already and not really a viable alternative to the 270 you already have...

It seems that you should look at a 30 caliber and probably the most common would be the 300 Winchester magnum. I prefer the 300 WBY, however, the available ammunition in a retail store would probably be in the Winchester magnum over the WBY.

To continue with the 6.5 to .280 calibers doesn’t really add to what you already have, therefore, the .30 is certainly a good choice.

3 years ago I would have said 300 Win Mag. Today? 300 PRC. It's a "new and improved" 300 WM. I was also after a bigger, longer, more ballistically efficient, hard hitting caliber and ended up deciding on 300 PRC. Its a real pain to find ammo for it right now but it's out there and seems to be available in waves. So when you find some anywhere buy as much as you would reasonably need because when its gone it will be a while before its back again.
Did you end up building a 300 PRC...I'm debating calibers right now and really like the idea of a 300PRC

Did you end up building a 300 PRC...I'm debating calibers right now and really like the idea of a 300PRC
You might want to look at the availability of ammo and components for the PRC before jumping. Why are you liking the PRC? mtmuley

I‘m into quality over quantity when it comes to rifles. I say have a custom built with exactly what you want that comes in at a weight you are willing to carry. I wish I did that earlier on in shooting instead of wasting a bunch of money trying to upgrade factory rifles into what they could never be.

I‘m into quality over quantity when it comes to rifles. I say have a custom built with exactly what you want that comes in at a weight you are willing to carry. I wish I did that earlier on in shooting instead of wasting a bunch of money trying to upgrade factory rifles into what they could never be.
This hits too close to home right now, but good advice!

Alright, I've done my work at home and convinced my wife that buying a new hunting rifle and scope is a great idea...she bit and I've got the green light to get what I want! Problem is, I'm not a huge "gun guy," as every firearm I have is a hand-me-down from my dad. I know, what a terrible problem to have...

I've been big game hunting most of my adult life and have really gotten in to western big game hunting since I moved to Colorado back in 2013. I've had amazing success with my Weatherby .270 and that rifle has put a lot of animals down, but I'm looking to up my game with respect to distance shooting. Now, let me be clear, I'm not interested in distance shooting just because, I considered myself to be extremely ethical when it comes to taking game and ensure a clean kill is top priority. That said, I want to be able to take an animal at 400-500 yards if the terrain forces the situation. I prefer to hunt open sage country for antelope, and more specifically mule deer, and taking longer shots is starting to creep in to my head as I get older and less sneaky. I'm comfortable shooting up to around 350 yards with my .270, but would like to get comfortable shooting a little further.

With all the said, I'm in the market for a new gun and am looking for recommendations on caliber, and whether or not now is the right time to buy a new gun to begin with. With respect to caliber, I already own the aforementioned .270, but I also have a .243 Winchester and .264 Winchester magnum. It's a good array of firearms, but I'm looking for that next step up caliber to effectively hunting mule deer, elk, caribou and larger animals, with more knock down power, in a flat shooting caliber, at long ranges. With recent research I've keyed in on the 6.5 Creedmoor and also the 28 Nosler, but I'd like your thoughts and recommendations.

Also, I'm having a really hard time telling myself that now is the best time to buy a new rifle given the ammo shortage and that I can't waste round after round practicing with my new firearm.

With respect to optics, again I don't consider myself a "gun guy," so your thoughts on easy to use scopes that help you adjust for distance are appreciated. I like the simplicity of the Leupold CDS system, but convince me there's something better our there and I'd love to take a look.

Anyway, I'm curious to see what you all think/recommend and feel free to send me any information/articles/etc. that you think I should check out to inform my decisions.

Happy hunting!

Mike
another 'wild card' to look at is the 280 Ackley Improved. That is what I purchased up here in Alaska for my one and done rifle. I was looking at the .30-06 or 280AI.
Also with you having the 3 smaller diameter bullets I'd look for something a little larger just because. I am really glad I didn't go with a Magnum myself - but the .30-06, 300 WinMag, 300 Short, 35 Whelen (one I'm interested in), .30 Nosler and I'm sure more.

But I'm super stoked for this 280AI.

Having said this I see a few people saying the same thing I did.

I sold 2 rifles and got one SemiCustom done. I couldn't afford the full Custom but am doing a 75%. And so far I am LOVING it. Harvest 2 Caribou Sunday and shot some great groups at the range.

Alright, I've done my work at home and convinced my wife that buying a new hunting rifle and scope is a great idea...she bit and I've got the green light to get what I want! Problem is, I'm not a huge "gun guy," as every firearm I have is a hand-me-down from my dad. I know, what a terrible problem to have...

I've been big game hunting most of my adult life and have really gotten in to western big game hunting since I moved to Colorado back in 2013. I've had amazing success with my Weatherby .270 and that rifle has put a lot of animals down, but I'm looking to up my game with respect to distance shooting. Now, let me be clear, I'm not interested in distance shooting just because, I considered myself to be extremely ethical when it comes to taking game and ensure a clean kill is top priority. That said, I want to be able to take an animal at 400-500 yards if the terrain forces the situation. I prefer to hunt open sage country for antelope, and more specifically mule deer, and taking longer shots is starting to creep in to my head as I get older and less sneaky. I'm comfortable shooting up to around 350 yards with my .270, but would like to get comfortable shooting a little further.

With all the said, I'm in the market for a new gun and am looking for recommendations on caliber, and whether or not now is the right time to buy a new gun to begin with. With respect to caliber, I already own the aforementioned .270, but I also have a .243 Winchester and .264 Winchester magnum. It's a good array of firearms, but I'm looking for that next step up caliber to effectively hunting mule deer, elk, caribou and larger animals, with more knock down power, in a flat shooting caliber, at long ranges. With recent research I've keyed in on the 6.5 Creedmoor and also the 28 Nosler, but I'd like your thoughts and recommendations.

Also, I'm having a really hard time telling myself that now is the best time to buy a new rifle given the ammo shortage and that I can't waste round after round practicing with my new firearm.

With respect to optics, again I don't consider myself a "gun guy," so your thoughts on easy to use scopes that help you adjust for distance are appreciated. I like the simplicity of the Leupold CDS system, but convince me there's something better our there and I'd love to take a look.

Anyway, I'm curious to see what you all think/recommend and feel free to send me any information/articles/etc. that you think I should check out to inform my decisions.

Happy hunting!

Mike
I would stay away from the 6.5 needs more, it's one of the most overrated cartridges in history. The 264 WM is awsome but it is not a step up from your 270. You are in really good shape with the rifle that you hunt with now but if you really want to kick it up a notch go with the 28 Nosler hands down.

You might want to look at the availability of ammo and components for the PRC before jumping. Why are you liking the PRC? mtmuley
This.

While the PRC looks cooler than 300 WM on paper, the difference is minimized by the fact that there is still 300WM ammo and components out there.
I saw a bunch of it on the shelf today.

BTW- Vista Outdoors must be running the Remington plant in Arkansas at capacity now. At least for the 30s.
I saw a ton of 30/30, .308. and .30-06, and 300 WM in green and yellow boxes at a store in Idaho today.

This.

While the PRC looks cooler than 300 WM on paper, the difference is minimized by the fact that there is still 300WM ammo and components out there.
I saw a bunch of it on the shelf today.

BTW- Vista Outdoors must be running the Remington plant in Arkansas at capacity now. At least for the 30s.
I saw a ton of 30/30, .308. and .30-06, and 300 WM in green and yellow boxes at a store in Idaho today.
If I was new to the big .30 game, I'd go .30 Nosler. mtmuley

300WM is my primary big game caliber. While there are certainly advantages to the 30 Nosler and 300 PRC, particularly with the heavier bullets, I am completely happy with the performance I get with 180gr Accubonds over H1000. And, availability of factory ammo and components has to factor into the decision.

300WM is my primary big game caliber. While there are certainly advantages to the 30 Nosler and 300 PRC, particularly with the heavier bullets, I am completely happy with the performance I get with 180gr Accubonds over H1000. And, availability of factory ammo and components has to factor into the decision.
If I wouldn't have stopped by the Remington booth at the RMEF Rendezvous in Reno back in 1999, I probably would have ended up with the .300 Winchester when upgrading from my '06. But, the .300 RUM got stuck in my head. Still shooting one over 20 years later. mtmuley

Oh man, I love how bad the Corelokt sucks. Interlock too. I honestly prefer the suckiness of the Interlock, because they are available for reloading. One of these heavy for caliber sucky ass bullets has never let me down
It’s the deadliest mushroom in the woods.

I will go out on a limb here and say get a 340 Weatherby or a 375 H&H. The 340 with 250 gr Partitions or Hammers will definitely take anything in NA and any African plains game. If it was legal it would work on cape buffs. The 375 H&H with 300-350 gr will do the deed on Brown bears and pretty much everything in Africa. Make sure you have a well fitting stock with a decent butt pad (Decellerator, Kick-eze etc.) and recoil will not be a problem. Incidentally, you will not lose much meat. You just eat right up to the bullet hole going in and out. FWIW. GJ.
I completely agree with this advice related to the 340 Weatherby. All the other recommended calibers will not have any meaningful difference compared to your 270. If you buy a 340 then you have two distinct rounds to use in different situations for different game. I use my 270 Weatherby for deer and antelope, and use the 340 Weatherby for elk and hopefully eventually moose. I’ve killed 20+ elk with my 340 and those elk haven’t run off very far after being hit. Placement matters of course, but I’m a big fan of the “knock down power” of the 340.

It's a good array of firearms, but I'm looking for that next step up caliber to effectively hunting mule deer, elk, caribou and larger animals, with more knock down power, in a flat shooting caliber, at long ranges. With recent research I've keyed in on the 6.5 Creedmoor and also the 28 Nosler, but I'd like your thoughts and recommendations.

Mike

To be honest, nothing is really going to get you what you don't already have. Your .243 would cover all of the things you want to do out to 350 yards. Your .270 Win does all those easily, and the .264 WM does it as well...just better!

If you want a new gun, to buy a new gun that fits your of the ones you listed, it's easily the 28 Nosler. Build you budget for buying ammo if you don't reload. Hell, even if you do reload.

If it were me, I'd get a .308 Win.

Yes, .270 is another overly long bullet in hunting weights. I am not a fan. The problem with bullets that are too long is, as I said, they often go awry on impact. Their butt tends to overrun their shoulders due to improper center of gravity. Not nice to shoot a deer broadside in the boiler room and have the bullet ruin the back strap on exit ... or worse. Splatter factor can be improved with fancy bullets (sometimes) but they won't help improve center of gravity. If anything those lighter specific gravity metals will make it worse because the bullet needs to be longer for the same grains as cup and core.

LMAO.

Back