Hunting or fishing in the Netherlands?

Mountain Man

Hi All,

I will be moving to the Netherlands next summer for 3 years and am wondering if I should bring a rifle and/or shotgun or leave those in the US. Does anyone have any knowledge of the potential hunting (or fishing) opportunities in the Netherlands?

I know this, there is practically no hunting there except bird hunting, then you will need to do some exams etc
But in Europe there are many hunting opportunities outside of there, in the UK no hunting exams required.
Plenty of other places to hunt.
Cheers
Richard

Very little hunting opportunity - very cumbersome and strict gun laws. Will be difficult and expensive, maybe even impossible to bring your guns.

Thanks for the inputs. Your comments reinforce my initial research. I would be able to bring in a rifle and shotgun through my household goods shipment, and then get them registered. There is a shooting club through the command so I will have access to a range. Can either of you expound upon the other hunting opportunities in Europe? Would those be better if I had my own firearms or can I rent them from the host?

I would really like to try and hunt while stationed there, but am gathering that it is complicated.

We have 6 species of deer in the UK, plenty of outfitters around, just do a bit of research as some can rip you off, but equally some great guys who will get you on a deer.
You can use their firearms under a clause we have in the UK, but you can't hunt on your own.
You also need insurance, around $50 annually.
You have plenty of time to find out the rules and regs of the Netherlands, but I guarantee you will come up against some serious bureaucy, it's Europe after all, I think you have to be 'invited' by a person to hunt.
The issue will be that are you are in essence a visitor, it's fine visiting lots of countries in Europe as they will, as will the UK, issue a temporary licence, but its usually on 28 days duration, certain calibre are banned in Europe as well.
Factor in also you might have to do an exam, like hunters ed, but that isn't required in the UK.
I have some contacts in the UK that could help you out, hell if I'm still guiding I might as well!

Cheers
Richard

Last edited:
Thanks for the inputs. Your comments reinforce my initial research. I would be able to bring in a rifle and shotgun through my household goods shipment, and then get them registered. There is a shooting club through the command so I will have access to a range. Can either of you expound upon the other hunting opportunities in Europe? Would those be better if I had my own firearms or can I rent them from the host?

I would really like to try and hunt while stationed there, but am gathering that it is complicated.

I am sorry I missed this, unfortunately at this moment in time my life is not my own to control, especially internet time.

First and foremost, Thank you for your service sir. It is appreciated

Yes you can take them. There will be hoops to jump through, but you can. You can also take them to other countries in Europe, but each of them have slightly different to very different requirements for bringing them into their country, You can definitely hunt with them in Austria, Spain and Sweden and if you only get one hunt per year while there those three are good countries to consider. Look at the species available to hunt in each country and decide what species you want to hunt. Also the terrain you want to hunt, and will your family be going with you when you go, as it can be a combo trip, hunting for you and cultural for the family, as Europe has a lot to offer, both in the big cities and little towns/countryside/mountains/festivals/seaside ( this may be the best and least expensive opportunity you will ever have to enjoy Europe with your family ) and hunt (-:

However, they will also have firearms available for you to use, but again there will be requirements to be met. check with those folks when the time comes. And enjoy.

Thanks for all the advice! I ended up deciding to leave my rifles with my parents and plan to rent from wherever I end up hunting. Seems much simpler and cleaner.

One additional question about hunting in Europe: do you get to keep the meat or does it go to the landowner? I’d love to be able to bring some coolers and come back with the meat.

To answer your last question, in most circumstances, there will be a charge for the meat. As it is a commodity over there and can be market sold. The cost is usually not unreasonable. Here is the link to join the SACS which will give you insurance coverage while shooting and hunting throughout Europe. https://www.sacs.org.uk/join-or-renew I believe it is 43 GBP

I spent a few weeks in the Netherlands year before last, my brother lived there for a few years. I remember talking to his friends about hunting opportunities and the idea was completely foreign to them. The people I talked to who were not immediately opposed to the idea were absolutely fascinated by the fact I actually hunted my own food and provided meat for my family, friends and neighbors. They could not fathom the fact I hunt with a bow. I visited 5 different countries while over there, it was like driving state to state here, and I remember seeing a lot of signs of hunting while driving through Germany. I saw some roe deer in fields and saw many box stands scattered throughout the country side. You might find hunting opportunities in several countries within a few hours drive once you get there. I will say I enjoyed Europe much more than I figured I would. Good luck!

Thanks for all the advice! I ended up deciding to leave my rifles with my parents and plan to rent from wherever I end up hunting. Seems much simpler and cleaner.

One additional question about hunting in Europe: do you get to keep the meat or does it go to the landowner? I’d love to be able to bring some coolers and come back with the meat.
That is the way to go, borrow a rifle, in England we call it 'the estate rifle facility' which enables a person to use another persons rifle in their presence whilst out hunting.

I can only speak for where I live, but regarding the meat, either the landowners gets it, you share it, you get to keep all of it, or it gets sold to a game dealer.

Regarding taking meat home, sorry no chance, check your own import rules on that one.

Cheers

Richard

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back