Hunting near a bedding area? Ground Blind or Saddle?

bigbuck247

I recently got a saddle that I will be hunting with this year for the first time. I have several shooter bucks patterned coming into an area that is near their bedding area (within 100-200yards). I have had some practice and have a tree prepped for my saddle in this area but with it still being the first time I am actually hunting out of the saddle do I hunt the saddle and take a chance on messing something up or making too much noise setting up or do I take the sticks and platform in with me and set them up after the morning hunt to be ready for the next 4 days and either hunt from nearby cover or I have a small run and gun blind that I can hunt behind that morning. Leaning towards hunting from the ground opening morning and then setting it up after the hunt or if I can get in there the day before and pre hang it would be great but that will be pushing it plus it is entering the area an extra time that I can not hunt.

Get in the saddle and make whatever mistakes you’re gonna make now. Even if you wait, time is only more of the essence, it’ll still be your first time at that point, mistakes will be made regardless of your decision and you will have a better chance of at least seeing the buck and where he’s going or coming from. I love tree stand hunting even if you see more and shoot less… that’s just my opinion. regardless what you choose, best of luck!

Get in the saddle and make whatever mistakes you’re gonna make now. Even if you wait, time is only more of the essence, it’ll still be your first time at that point, mistakes will be made regardless of your decision and you will have a better chance of at least seeing the buck and where he’s going or coming from. I love tree stand hunting even if you see more and shoot less… that’s just my opinion. regardless what you choose, best of luck!
I agree but just dont want to blow him out of his bed and ruin the first half of the season for one hunt is my hold back. I can still be in their hunting just not out my stick and platform up until after the morning hunt was my thought.

Tr
I agree but just dont want to blow him out of his bed and ruin the first half of the season for one hunt is my hold back. I can still be in their hunting just not out my stick and platform up until after the morning hunt was my thought.
Trust your gut…..

I wouldn't be caught dead using a saddle hunting anything...nerds

I wouldn't be caught dead using a saddle hunting anything...nerds
:LOL:Never thought I'd try it but once I did there is no going back unless Im sitting a ladder stand over a food plot or something like that rifle hunting. For any timber/wooded areas or new areas it is so versatile and way more comfortable than a hang on stand.

:LOL:Never thought I'd try it but once I did there is no going back unless Im sitting a ladder stand over a food plot or something like that rifle hunting. For any timber/wooded areas or new areas it is so versatile and way more comfortable than a hang on stand.
If it’s all that, time to saddle up.

Why not set the sticks and platform at 10 or 11 pm? The bucks should be out feeding and you won’t have to worry about jumping them out of their bedding area. Then you will be all set to quietly get up in the tree.

What kind of sticks and stand we talking? if you got a decent mobile setup and you're well practiced with it you can shimmy up a tree fairly stealthy like but you have to consciously make yourself go slow and be careful not to make a ton of noise. I'm not a fan of the blind idea just because of the fact it's going close to bedding. Deer notice new things, especially the closer the new thing is to their bedroom. I just think whatever bucks your after will have you pegged in a blind that wasn't there the day before etc. I guess given the options I'd go with the saddle although I've never personally used one. Just realize that your first time into a buck bedding area is likely your opportunity and your best off not hunting the same tree more than once. If you don't kill him, he'll know you were there from your ground scent etc, so Make the first hunt count.

I'm getting in close to a buck's bedding area this afternoon. I'll be in a ground blind about 100 yds or so from where he's been bedding. Much prefer it to climbing a tree that close. However mine has been up for a month, otherwise I would choose the saddle, assuming you have practiced with it a great deal.

Why not set the sticks and platform at 10 or 11 pm? The bucks should be out feeding and you won’t have to worry about jumping them out of their bedding area. Then you will be all set to quietly get up in the tree.
Had not really thought about this as a possibility but I very well may do this if I cant get in there a few days early to set them. Thanks!

I’d go saddle. The only way I’d go with a blind is if I had dead fall or thick nasty clump of crap the I could sneak in to relatively quietly. Popping up a blind at this point would be a no go for me. Good luck.

You could also hunt where you can see in the bedding area the first day then move closer the next day. Get the kinks worked out that come with setting up in the dark for the first time with your saddle. But I would still be in the tree if my other choice is a pop up blind.

I would stay out of there until the morning of. Go in early and setup either the saddle or a hang on and hunt. Idea being that you’ll catch them before they get to the bed. If it’s going to be a spot you want to hunt repeatedly for the season I’d probably lean toward the hang on and leave it up.

If you’re going to hunt from the ground skip the blind and just tuck into some cover. I think bucks will key in to that blind showing up out of no where so close to bedding and change their patterns…at least for a little while until they get used to the blind being there.

My .02 is use the saddle. You already have a tree prepped. Give yourself plenty of time to get up the tree quietly and get settled in. Concentrate on being still in the saddle once you get set up. Saddles are awesome because of the mobility but that same mobility can bite you if you are swinging around too much while hunting.

Good luck and have fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back