Hunting MT sheep with a Nikon (pic heavy)

onpoint

Spent the day voyeuristically spying on some of my friends.
One sported a hmm-mm😊. Just barely missed the mount pic. I'm no Miller......
One sported a brutally broken horn:oops:
Hoped for head buttin' - no such luck.

A good day.
notquite (2).JPGbrokenhorn (2).jpg
pose (2).JPGloner (2).JPGscent (2).JPGbuds (2).JPG

P.S.
Saw many many hundreds of NYE elk scattered allover the Gardiner country. Deckard so tracked up in the last few days it looks like a cow pasture.
LOTSA bulls died from lead poisoning above Gardiner the last 5 weeks.
Guess those woofs musta' left a few.....................................

I've seen a few rams. Haven't seen that bad of a break before. He was getting around OK, but I wondered if he was hit by a vehicle or a bad fall, or ???.....

That was my first thought. Seems like it would take more than just butting heads to cause that kind of damage.

Cool pics and those sheep look healthy going into winter.

I've seen a few rams. Haven't seen that bad of a break before. He was getting around OK, but I wondered if he was hit by a vehicle or a bad fall, or ???.....

He was chipped pretty severely last year. Looks like it finally worn through. He was a brute with both sides.
Tribal hunters had been trying to kill him for several winters. I’m not sure why they failed, because as you can see, he’s right there, but they never did catch up to him around deckard when they were looking. Perhaps the break helps his chances going forward.

This guy is back again this year too. He’s the best one I’ve seen down there. I heard the Tribes we’re trying to get him last Year. Bummer if they do

Attachments

• 2EC5824F-C815-4E3D-8C87-C016962C472B.jpeg
    2EC5824F-C815-4E3D-8C87-C016962C472B.jpeg
    533.8 KB · Views: 71
  • DB321272-4A9C-49B2-BADE-C35CB3D521B8.jpeg
    DB321272-4A9C-49B2-BADE-C35CB3D521B8.jpeg
    899 KB · Views: 72
  • D443C839-C505-491F-83EE-0CE0E55239A1.jpeg
    D443C839-C505-491F-83EE-0CE0E55239A1.jpeg
    517.2 KB · Views: 66
@Drake4 I’m not a local so I don’t fully understand the tribe thing. Is there a reservation near there or a specific permit that allows Native Americans to hunt them or what is that about?

This guy is back again this year too. He’s the best one I’ve seen down there. I heard the Tribes we’re trying to get him last Year. Bummer if they do
Yeah, that’s the ram I was talking about. He is broken. I assume it’s the one on point posted but I guess there could be two. Hard telling since we can’t see the right side in his pics.

@geetar, there are several tribes that have off reservation treaty hunting rights. Several hunt bison. The Crow can hunt anything on Federal lands south and east of the Yellowstone River.
I’m not sure which other tribes exercise those rights beyond bison.

Yeah, that’s the ram I was talking about. He is broken. I assume it’s the one on point posted but I guess there could be two. Hard telling since we can’t see the right side in his pics.

@geetar, there are several tribes that have off reservation treaty hunting rights. Several hunt bison. The Crow can hunt anything on Federal lands south and east of the Yellowstone River.
I’m not sure which other tribes exercise those rights beyond bison.
Gotcha! I wasn’t sure how that worked.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back