Hunting is dangerous

The Hedgehog

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Deer hunting could be a dangerous endeavor for men with heart disease or risk factors for it, research findings suggest.

Several men showed potentially dangerous heart responses to hunting that didn't arise on a treadmill test.

In a study of 25 middle-aged male deer hunters, researchers found that the activities inherent to hunting -- like walking over rough terrain, shooting an animal and dragging its carcass -- sent the men's heart rates up significantly.

In some cases, this led to potentially dangerous heart-rhythm disturbances, or diminished oxygen supply to the heart.

Of the 25 hunters, 17 had established coronary heart disease, while the rest had risk factors such as being overweight, smoking or having high blood pressure or cholesterol.

The findings suggest that for men like these, hunting could boost the risk of heart attack or cardiac arrest.

Susan Haapaniemi and colleagues at William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, Michigan, report the findings in the American Journal of Cardiology.

For the study, the researchers outfitted each man with a portable monitor that continuously recorded his heart's electrical activity during a day of deer hunting. For comparison, the men also had their hearts monitored as they exercised on a treadmill on a separate day.

In general, the researchers found, deer hunting put the men's hearts under more strain than the treadmill did. Ten men exceeded the maximum heart rate they logged on the treadmill, and several showed potentially dangerous heart responses to hunting that they did not show during the treadmill test.

Your Health Tools
MayoClinic.com: Men's Health
Healthology: Health Video Library
Three men had signs of impeded blood flow to the heart during hunting, but not on the treadmill. Similarly, three of the men with heart disease had heart-rhythm abnormalities while hunting that did not show up on the treadmill test.

The combination of physical exertion, adrenaline rush and the stress of rough terrain and cold weather may explain the "excessive cardiac demands" seen with hunting, according to Haapaniemi's team.

What's more, they point out, most of the men in the study were taking part in an exercise program to treat their heart disease, or were regularly physically active. Hunting could be an even greater strain on the heart in men who are usually sedentary, the researchers note.

I knew a guy in my chruch 2 years ago who had a massive heart attack and died from it while him and his son were dragging out a muley buck he had shot. It was really sad for the family. He was 56 years old.

I guess we should all just stay on the couch and eat bon bons instead. That way we are not in danger of getting into shape by hiking.

Of the 25 hunters, 17 had established coronary heart disease, while the rest had risk factors such as being overweight, smoking or having high blood pressure or cholesterol.

The findings suggest that for men like these, hunting could boost the risk of heart attack or cardiac arrest.

Looks like they picked stereotypical hunters for the test. The same guys run the risk of having a heart attack while loping their mule. Slobs shouldn't hunt, spank their monkeys, and many other things. What kind of idiots would consider this "research"?

Yeah, it's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. What was the point? Shouldn't the conclusion have been obvious?

They should do a study on hunting cougars. Now THAT can be dangerous.

My uncle in New york was a retired detective, its was in pretty damn good shape.
his partner backed out of a hunt so he went by himself.
he shot one of the biggest whitetails he eversaw, in his life. as he was gutting the deer he had a massive heartattack.
he was found by 2 other hunter who preformed CPR and also got a medivac ( they were also cops but didnt know each other).
My uncle woke up in the hospitol and didnt know what had happened.
a few months later the 2 cops that saved his life brought over the buck he had shot. those guys saved the buck and got it mounted for my uncle. From what I understand he still hunts with them.
My uncle was in some area that very very few people hunt and he hikes pretty far back, I never knew there was such a place up there. anyhow he pretty much has nine lives with a few used up.

While helping someone/ or directing traffic at an accident he was hit by a speeding car in the side, he should have never lived let alone walk again and work on the police force. He was hit so hard that his revolver was imprinted in his hip bones. The docs said the gun saved his life.

A friend of ours from Mass. that used to come hunting elk with us in MT died of a heart atack while dragging his deer out of the woods 6-7 years ago.

If I'm going to go, might as well be with my boots on... literly.

The study of 25 Montana hunters would conclude:

All 25 were at a great risk of HIV due to sexual preferences and practices.

Back