PEAX Equipment

Hunting/Hiking Calories Burned

JoeSchmo

Every formula that I have found shows that a guy my size, 160 pounds, burns about 425 calories an hour of hiking. I think this might be on the low end since I'm hiking tough terrain and also have my 40-50 pound pack on... after thinking about it, no wonder I get so hungry!! I make it a point to drink plenty of fluids but I can only eat so many protein bars and candy while hiking around for 8-10 hours. What snacks do you guys pack to make sure you're getting enough calories and not becoming hypoglycemic or digging a caloric deficit? Any ideas other than the protein bars, jerky, snickers/payday, mountain house?

Personally I like taking a short break and making a cup of noodles, especially if it's on the chilly side. Would like to here other ideas though, I'm not sure they are good calories.

Your body is a pretty amazing machine. For most of us, your body has the ability to convert stored fat into usable energy as it is needed unless you are way into the anaerobic zone (i.e. breathing hard on a continuous basis).

For folks running marathons and ultra marathons they may need to consume calories as they go. They refuel from 100% liquid to just eating normal food. If you are working really hard your stomach might not be able to digest regular food though.

Most runners do a mixture of liquid (powerade, etc.) and GU energy gels.

Lots of people think they need more replacement calories than they really do though. Even running a half marathon from a physiological perspective 99% of the people don't need to refuel any calories during the run. On a marathon a big guy like me (210 lbs) needs to consume somewhere around 600 calories over the 26.2 miles.

One thing that a lot of ultra runners use that isn't on your list is fruit snacks. They add some flavor to the mix and a bag of fruit snacks can be a couple hundred calories. Gummy bears, worms, etc. are also popular.

You don't need some expensive sports recovery super product that costs a bunch of money.

My 2 cents. Nathan

I'm a big guy that could stand to lose 50-80 pounds even before pack weight so I burn a LOT of calories hiking even on pretty tame terrain. I try and eat pretty regularly (every 30 mins to an hour depending on intensity) when hiking, cycling, or doing any other activity for more than an hour or so. Doesn't need to be a large snack, but 100 calories here and there helps keep energy levels up.

I'd use a heart rate monitor to track your heart rate during a training hike with pack to see what your exertion level is and calculate what your caloric output is then work take a look at your typical intake and see if you are at a deficit.

As for types of snacks, I usually bring Clif bars, crackers, tortillas, mountain house, etc. I also will bring a few Clif Gel packs or chews with caffeine for a bit of a boost here and there too. Just make sure that you are bringing/eating stuff that you can handle during a long day in the field. I can handle like 5-6 of the Clif Gel or chew packs during a long (3-6 hour) bike ride or hike but my stomach is much happier if I mix some real, solid food in there too.

Nuts are another good source of calories if you are wanting a variety. They are generally high in calories per ounce as well. One of my standard backpack snack items are bags with mixed nuts, dark chocolate and marshmallows.

Dried fruit. Your favorite nuts. Peanut butter/almond butter and crackers. A cheese and dried salami roll with mustard is my favorite field lunch.

Stinger honey waffles. Taste really good, and gives you a kick in the butt for energy.
Camofire has them on sale regularly. In fact, they are for sale on Camofire right now for the next 90 minutes.

Last edited:
I hope to dig a calorie deficit. Means I'll drop a few pounds and have a better xcuse for a beer and bacon double cheese on the way home.

Not try go to make to light if it but unless one has a serious medical problem I doubt too many of us are pushing ourselves to the extent of needing anything on a hike. That said I lik had candy, especially atomic fireballs, on a good pull. More to hop keep the spit flowing that for the actual calories.

Typical as others have already stated. I carry a couple small baggies of trail mix and gummy bears. High calories and low amounts. Also I drink 150 oz of water or better during these times I'm scouting/hunting. At night or for meals I try to pack on heavy foods, like pastas, chesse's and meats. In a 3 days hunt last year I dropped 7 lbs after hiking about 20 miles total, 8 of which was the pack out of my elk.

i like PBJ(or honey) sandwiches and cheese sticks along with trail mix. I'm in a constant battle with calories and being a fatass so I keep it simple and only snack when hungry and stay as hydrated as possible as sometimes I think thrist is often confused as hunger.

Cliff bars are just expensive candy so I only eat them when I have long trips for work. If you need real calories; olive oil in your Mtn House & other meals is what you need to do.

I drink about between 3-6 liters or more water a day while hiking/hunting. I typically don't take much other than a small bag of jerky or almonds with me. The last two seasons I was keto adapted before the season started so I was able to hunt all day without getting weak or hungry.

I eat a high fat very low carb diet year round, my body is use to burning fat for energy so when I am not eating enough calories my body just burns fat. Most days I eat more than enough calories to keep a good supply of calories on my belly in the form of body fat.

I remember the first time i noticed this I was on an elk hunt several miles and hours into the hunt and my buddys were both starving and having to stop and eat for the second time that day. They couldn't believe that I wasn't even hungry and hadn't eaten yet that day. I still had plenty of food in my pack when we got back to the rig we all split what I had left because they had burnt through their supply and were starving.

The only time i typically feel like i need to sit down and eat something is when i am bored. If i am busy i can easily go all day without even thinking about eating.

I always thought hunting was suppose to be fun? All this stuff about ketos(whatever the hell that is), , formulas, just sound incredible to me! This new wave of hunters(?) blows me away. Sure it is nice to be in shape , buttttt. Wonder if Jeremiah Johnson stopped to figure all this out?

I always thought hunting was suppose to be fun? All this stuff about ketos(whatever the hell that is), , formulas, just sound incredible to me! This new wave of hunters(?) blows me away. Sure it is nice to be in shape , buttttt. Wonder if Jeremiah Johnson stopped to figure all this out?

Jeremiah Johnson (Liver-Eating Johnson) spent 25 years hunting down black foot indians, killing them and eating their livers after one killed his wife. It is also rumored that he cut off the legs of a black foot guard after being captured and took them to eat on his journey back to his trapping cabin;)

The movie star Jeremiah Johnson (Robert Redford) probably sat on a catered set and most likely has never even really hiked all day in the woods and would starve to death if he ever had to fend for himself:)

Last edited:
Water or some liquid to drink and candy bars, problem solved.

Well, it's just nice to be able to not be wiped out after only one day of hard hunting into a three day trip due to improper nutrition or hydration. Generally I'm already pretty exhausted before even stepping onto the trail due to a 12+ hour drive (typically overnight) to any western hunting grounds. Keeping up energy while hiking/hunting helps to not make things too miserable before getting the first real night's sleep after a full day of hunting.

Lots of good things to try as mentioned - only thing I will add is to test new stuff first during training / exercising before going out on an extended hunt and/or long distance event.

I always keep a quart bag of pumpkin seeds and raisins (around 70% seeds) and a couple of pieces of fruit in my pack. I graze on that all day. Better to stoke the fire little by little. Keeps the energy up. I like to buy those carob energy nuggets you can get in the bulk section of the health food store or Whole Paycheck as well. I can only eat a few of those a day and they get rock hard in the cold but they offer variety. I stay away from any refined sugar (e.g. candy, power bars, cliff bars, etc). Looking for long lasting slow burn food. I carry three freeze dried meals with me and a stove. I read the ingredient deck on the meals to maximize calories and protein and make sure they aren't too full of extra stuff. Nothing beats a break and a hot meal! I figure I always have an extra meal with me that way. I start the day with egg, cheese and meat burritos using whole wheat tortillas. I pre-make enough for two a day and eat one first thing and munch the other as I drive to the starting point for the day (I don't make them very big). Wrapped in foil they warm up nicely in a fry pan on the stove. Last year I left a peanut butter and honey sandwich in the truck and ate that on the drive out in the evening. I figure hunting season is the wrong time to loose weight. If I can eat enough to maintain my weight I'm doing pretty good.

Your body burns a ratio of fat and carbohydrates to keep going during aerobic exercise. Initially its almost all stored carbs in the form of glycogen being used for the first 30 minutes or so then it trends towards more fat. Lower intensity allows you to use fewer carbs and more fat. You body only has the ability to store enough glycogen (carbs) for about 90 minutes of all out exertion, so that might equate to 4.5 hours of hiking in moderately steep terrain before you have run out of carbs assuming you are topped off from the day before. Once your body runs out of carbs it starts converting protein to carbs very inefficiently with a lot of nasty by products while accelerating dehydration. This is what a lot of people call a bonk. Once you are into really sustained endurance the carbs you take on might only need to be 20% of your calorie burn as you might be 80% fat/20% carbs while still sustaining good energy. This is why a 100 calorie GU is good for 45 minutes when you are burning 600-1000 calories an hour.

How does this apply to hunting? Well it may not if you are only walking in 30 minutes and hunting half a day with out successive days afield. My experience is that I usually hit the wall around lunch the first day of a hunt if I don't eat enough the second day is always brutal when I'm putting in 10-15 miles a day hiking as is my norm hunting out west.

Generally whatever you are craving is a result of what your body needs whether that be sweet, salty savory etc. I find that simple carbs are going to hit quicker where protein stuff like nuts and jerky is more to simulate a normal meal and keep my stomach settled. I have personal rules I've established as a distance runner and cyclist about how many gu packets/shot blocks/Honey stingers I'll take before I switch to something else. The longer you go the more real food you eat with more fat salt and protein. What I'm eating for a 2 hour bike race and what I'm eating on the second day of a multiday even are much different.

Everyone has their own tolerances and limits and has to find those things before it really matters. Its much better to try a new product scouting or training that in the middle of you 9 day elk hunt.

I have found that eating a good breakfast before heading out for the day keeps me going much better that when we used to just have coffee and some cookiesat 4 am. We stay out all day long so we eat trail mix with lots of nuts in it, jerky, candy bars. apples. We have also started bringing pb&j sandwiches. They will keep a couple of days even in hot weather hunts if you don't eat them for some reason. Lots of water is very important too.
This seems to work pretty good for us, though everyone is different.

My friend wore a heart monitor all day for a couple days when were hunting and adding in the 30# pack, we were cranking 4000 calorie days. From what I understand, a marathon is around 2600 calories.

There some sites that focus on foods that are best calories per oz and obviously the focus on those that don't take up much room. I normally pack nuts, peanut butter, cheese, salami, cooked bacon, peanut m&ms, etc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back