MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Hunting Gear and Boots Recommendations for North Carolina Hunting

blueknight99

Hi Folks,

Need some recommendations on some good gear for hunting in North Carolina. Will be going there end of October. My first time there and hunting a gap of a decade. Will be hunting deer. Mostly tree stands but never know if I have to tread. Options are open.

Need recommendations for some good hunting gear and apparel starting with the boots.

- What boots? Any good recommended ones.
- Recommendations on hunting pants,shirts, jacket etc. (basically apparel)
- Gloves (good and weather proof but not should not be too bulky to use with triggers)
- Good powerful flashlight??
- Anything else that might come to mind with your experience.

North Carolina native here. Don't over think it. It could very well be 70-75 in October. If you're going to be in the eastern third of the state it might be a good idea to have rubber boots with enough room to layer socks. That was standard footwear where I grew up. For stand hunting I always wore lightweight and medium weight base layers and put on a Carhartt jacket once I got into the stand. A warm beanie is always nice. I used a handwarmer if it was going to be cold and a pair of leather gloves for climbing in and out of the stand.

North Carolina native here. Don't over think it. It could very well be 70-75 in October. If you're going to be in the eastern third of the state it might be a good idea to have rubber boots with enough room to layer socks. That was standard footwear where I grew up. For stand hunting I always wore lightweight and medium weight base layers and put on a Carhartt jacket once I got into the stand. A warm beanie is always nice. I used a handwarmer if it was going to be cold and a pair of leather gloves for climbing in and out of the stand.

Good advise, thanks bro. I am going to be in Taraboro btw..

I live about 30 miles south of Tarboro and hunt about 30 miles north of there. In late October it can still be pretty warm (up to 80) but the nights can be somewhat cool (50s-30s). Depending on the property you're hunting, rubber knee boots could be very useful. I always have some with me.

Also, if it is warm expect skeeters and have something to deal with them. I don't go out with my Thermacell until into November.

As far as clothes make sure you have something that doesn't get picked up of pill up very easily. We have plenty of briars and other plants that can catch on clothes. Carhart type clothes work well.
For gloves I just use army surplus wool liners. Depending on the weather you may not need any at all.

To get to and from stands I just use a headlamp, but always have a good flashlight with me for trailing deer after dark.

Late October can be a good time to hunt. Pre rut action should be kicking in. If there is a cool snap with nights getting down into the 30s make sure to be in the woods. The bucks can really turn on.

Good luck.

I live about 30 miles south of Tarboro and hunt about 30 miles north of there. In late October it can still be pretty warm (up to 80) but the nights can be somewhat cool (50s-30s). Depending on the property you're hunting, rubber knee boots could be very useful. I always have some with me.

Also, if it is warm expect skeeters and have something to deal with them. I don't go out with my Thermacell until into November.

As far as clothes make sure you have something that doesn't get picked up of pill up very easily. We have plenty of briars and other plants that can catch on clothes. Carhart type clothes work well.
For gloves I just use army surplus wool liners. Depending on the weather you may not need any at all.

To get to and from stands I just use a headlamp, but always have a good flashlight with me for trailing deer after dark.

Late October can be a good time to hunt. Pre rut action should be kicking in. If there is a cool snap with nights getting down into the 30s make sure to be in the woods. The bucks can really turn on.

Good luck.

The best and most suitable (to me) advise that I could get for my trip down there. Can't thank you enough mate.

I live in SC and dont step in woods without snake boots. Likely to be chilly, 40-50 in morning with it warming to 70's during day. Thermacell is a necessity as well. Good luck and enjoy.

Waterproof snake boots is always a huge plus here. I've routinely seen snakes out until November and even December before. Thermacell for warmer days. Id layer light and mid weight so you can shed layers as it warms up.

It all depends on what part of the state. Like mentioned, if Piedmont to coast, it will most likely be pleasant to warm. If so, take a Thermocell! But don't get too carried away or over think on the apparel. Light layers is the way to go during that time of year, due to cool mornings. If mountains, may need a little more layers.

Important thing is to keep yourself dry - both from the outside and from within. Wicking base layer and don't put on your insulation until you're sitting your stand.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back