Hunting funds?

If I where in your shoes I'd man up, grab my balls, and place them safely in my wife's purse where they belong until I'd cooled off or they're going to get hurt... I would suggest bringing up the subject of money right after you clean the bathroom including the toilet to a sparkle. Then politely ask what type of improvements she would like to the bathroom before I said a word about hunting with what's leftover. Things could be worse. I see where you are coming from as I have been there scraping by to go hunting only to have it asked of me to give it up. It sucks but the reality is I get more investing time and money into the relationship than hunting. I've saved thousands throughout the year to have a few hundred to go hunting on. She in turn buys me gear to go for christmas and birthdays when she has cash. Talk to her about it. You might not get to go out of state and hunt sheep, but she may be understanding enough to let you go more than you already do if she gets a new sink, stove, or clothes she wants. Like randy said, Spoil her and she'll spoil you. Take care of her like you want someone to take care of your daughter regardless of his hobbies. I would give up hunting for my wife, she would never ask me to do that.

Lmwmihunter76 - you're talking about the woman who lets you share a bed with her. This lady deserves some respect and if you aren't willing to give her that, there's someone else out there who will. If you value your marriage over your hunting, be willing to give up that hunting fund and ask her for forgiveness for being selfish about both time and money.

I work 4 tens and the 5th day I usually watch my daughter so my full-time babysitter, aka Wifey, can get a break. I make a pile of money, but I wouldn't ever trade her job for mine. She works harder than I do, and her job is more important than mine.

50 hours of work per week is not your ticket to hunting adventures, but the phrase, "yes, dear", probably is. I've got a honey do list about a mile long and I work my tail off to renovate and decorate her "workplace" to her liking. The garage, shop, and mancave are mine, but the rest of the house is her domain, and she has expensive taste.

I am proud to say that my wife is my biggest fan, and the #1 supporter of my hunting lifestyle. At least once a month she's telling me to take a break from the honey do list and go hunting. Hunting doesn't compete with my affections, so she is not threatened by it.

Treat that woman like a queen and see if it doesn't improve your lot. I bet it will work out better than just telling her how it's gonna be, yeesh.
Well Said.

Just had my 30th anniversary . While I am the one breadwinner of course she works hard keeping the house going. She does not hunt and does not shoot but understands my needs. However she finds it “fun” to tell me when I spend money she gets to double it to buy herself something. Let’s just say she has upgraded diamonds a few times. Last year she turned 50. I bought her a sports car for her birthday and told her we’re even moving forward. Just remember if your wife is unhappy your unhappy, if your wife is unhappy long enough you’ll be unhappy with half your stuff.

But then the question remains why are divorces so expensive? because they are worth it!

Reactions: FLS
We've got separate bank accounts. I've got my bills and shes got her's. I pay the majority of the household bills as my income is higher. We both have roughly the same percentage of our income left over at the end of the month. The dollar amount i have left over is substantially more than hers based on those percentages.

I spend a whole lot more on recreation that she does, Based on those percentages.

Thanks guys great advice, it's not like we are the brink of divorce or anything like that. I do love my my wife, just wanted to hear how some if you other guys are able to finance your adventures.

I have an old rule that budget and bills get paid first. If house needs maintenance type upkeep, that should be included in bills and that. Personally, I save my income tax refund for my elk hunt which I generally budget between a grand and $1500. Second to that: keep the wife happy.

I make a considerable amount more than my fiance yup not even my wife yet but she moved in last thanks giving so I pay all the house hold bills except food but I still ask about going on hunting trips I dont even want her thinking its mine so ill just do what I want it would hurt our relationship IMO.
we dont talk exact figures due to not being married yet and I take her to several trip every year beach and long weekend trips that I also pay for to balance out my 2 or 3 weeks hunting

Thanks guys great advice, it's not like we are the brink of divorce or anything like that. I do love my my wife, just wanted to hear how some if you other guys are able to finance your adventures.
Glad you took the time to read all those replies and take some heat in the process. I've asked the "wrong" question on HT before and taken a few lumps too, and learned something in the process. I also listened to the 3-hr "Marriage Advise", pt. 2" podcast and realized I have about 16 things I should probably be doing differently as a hunter who is married.

Re: how I finance my hunting adventures - My wife and I have a budget meeting on the last day of every month for the upcoming month. We guess what our income will be, and then allocate every cent to different budget categories. That is, we plan how we spend all of our money before it gets in our account.

We select the lowest amount we both agree on for each budget category. So if she wants us to spend $150 on eating out, and I want to us to spend $100, we budget $100. In reality though, since I know I'm such a tightwad, I let her twist my arm a little and concede to allocating more than $100. After all this is taken care of, we have the "His" and "Hers" categories, which are always equal amounts, but can be more or less from month to month. This money gets transferred to our respective personal checking accounts, and we spend it on whatever the flip each of us want to, short of something illegal, and the other person isn't allowed to complain about it. In March we got a tax refund along with 3 paychecks from me, so the His and Hers categories were large. She booked a cruise that I am not going on, and I am buying a new bow, plus have money for all my 2019 tags.

If something comes up during the month and we have to adjust our budget, we have a quick meeting and decide how we want to do that.

Every married hunter has his own system for funding his adventures, but the one thing in common with the successful ones is that each person's needs in a relationship are equally important, and each half of the couple does their best to honor that. You can be too selfish, but you can also be "too doormat."

My wife and I have separate main accounts and a joint account we put money into for baby clothes, diapers, etc. I make double what she does a month so I cover mortgage, both our car payments, insurance, etc. She pays for food, cell phone bill and nanny. If I want something I just go buy it and same with her. I make more so I cover more but that’s why a marriage is a partnership.

My wife and I share a joint checking account. Each of us buy what we want without restriction. A major purchase we discuss and she does what she wants.

I handled the bills for the first 15 years of marriage; she has done the job the last. She has converted everything online. If she dies, I will be lost. She is much healthier than I.

I do not worry of hunting funds because I hunt in state. Nothing like you guys spend.
I worry about horse racing fund. Family reunion in Ruidoso each fall for the All American Futurity quarter horse trials. In my youth, my bet would change the parimutual odds. I had confidence and made car payments with my winnings. Not so much now as I do not go 4 times a week, but only once or twice a year. Can read the form, but do not know the horses. Watching them run is important!
After all the rambling. I make sure my wife holds back funds for this event only!

My only point if you love the woman you live with; you should share and trust! I do.

My wife is buying a $2200 mini labradoodle dog with our tax refund. At first I flipped out, then I listened to Randy’s podcast. I stopped it and went and got her, we listened together. After reflection on what the other wives were saying, a $2200 dog is a drop in the bucket to my past selfish purchases. That’s her money as much as mine.

How's the pup doing... any ducks retrieved yet?

We didn’t get our stuff together in time to get “the” pup she wanted. She keeps looking at the upcoming litters and keeps showing me pics. She hasn’t pulled the trigger on oneyet.
She also has been showing a lot of love to our GSP lately.

Looking forward to the younger siblings adventures ;)

Gus is pouting because we haven't been out hunting much this winter.
1579728547583.png

All right guys I have a question but need to explain the situation. I work 4 tens for my regular job, so I work a second job on my day off. I have been using this extra money for hunting related stuff like tags, gear ect. The problem is now my wife wants me to start using this "extra" money for stuff she wants to be done around the house. Which I do not want to use that money for obviously.

So the question is how do I go about explaining to her that is not going to happen I want to continue to use the extra for hunting?

Sounds kinda selfish but the way I look at is i am not taking any extra money out of the household income for my hobbies.
Brother- you answered your own question: “Sounds kinda selfish but the way I look at is i am not taking any extra money out of the household income for my hobbies.
You’re right.

Anyone have a link or episode number to Randy's podcasts metioned above? Going on 15 years myself but always striving to do better. Thanks!

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back