Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Hunting elk in corn

pointingdogsrule

So I'm reading my Huntin Fool and came across an article on a guy that drew an early rifle tag for unit 19B (Arizona). Now I realize this is an On Your Own site, but this article was interesting. Being a person who has only hunted elk once in Colorado, I imagine high mountains and forests with no people around, for the most part. I just love the beauty of the outdoors (still building points for some quality elk hunts). Anyway the article tells how he met the outfitter and they drive to the place where they hunt on opening morning. "We parked the truck and could hear bugling coming from inside the corn as we walked to our spot along the cornfield". Within 1/2 hour of opening season the first bull was down and 1/2 day later a second bull was down near the cornfield. I actually had to read the line three times to make sure it stated "corn".

We hunt the edges for whitetail here in Iowa, however, I never imagined hunting elk in cornfield. Must be from the dairy farms down there.

To each his own I guess. I'll stick with the wilderness adventure.

good luck to all
the dog

Elk are where you find them. Check out the habitat my buddies and my elk came from on the Eastern plains here in Colorado. Not your typical looking elk country by a long shot. He got his in cactus country and I got mine in a creek bottom on the same place far from any mountains.

Attachments

• Ducks&Elk 007.jpg
    Ducks&Elk 007.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 568
  • PSRElk 006.jpg
    PSRElk 006.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 560
I've seen tons of elk hanging out in pivots of alfalfa, corn, or whatever tasty crop when there is little hunting pressure. I've seen a 330ish bull, 160ish white-tail, 170ish mule deer and, mid 70ish antelope in the same alfalfa field. No pressure and easy food will draw in about anything.

Obviously out in the wide open desert, or in alfalfa/hay, but in a corn field is kind of interesting. I spent a lot of time up on the Mogollon Ridge in AZ, so probably was a little east of that area. But I didn't think 19B was a corn growing area. I thought it was mostly uncultivated juniper forests.

Obviously out in the wide open desert, or in alfalfa/hay, but in a corn field is kind of interesting. I spent a lot of time up on the Mogollon Ridge in AZ, so probably was a little east of that area. But I didn't think 19B was a corn growing area. I thought it was mostly uncultivated juniper forests.

Not sure about what the place in the story was like, but where I've seen elk in corn was just a small field of corn close to alfalfa fields and not too far from the mountains.

I assume that the elk in the story were using other types of feed as well and just happened to be in the corn during their hunt.

For a couple of years when we would cut our corn fields we got to follow a nice 6 point around with the chopper it was pretty cool to watch his rack run in front of you. I have never seen another elk within 20 miles of the spot where we would see him.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back