Hunting day pack info request

prhunter

Hello everyone... I am currently shopping around for a new hunting day pack. I'm looking at bags in the 2000Ci range. Meat shelf preferred and the ability to carry a rifle would be a big plus. I am the owner of an Eberlestock X2. Great pack but no rifle scabbard. I also own an Eberlestock H2 Gunrunner. Really cool compact day pack with rifle scabbard but no meat shelf.

I was considering the Eberlestock X1Euro but this pack does not have a meat shelf.

While conducting my research I came across the Badlands 2200 and the EXO Mountain K3. Both look like good packs but I know nothing about them.

Any thoughts or experiences with any of the bags mentioned above would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Yep add another vote to this I regret not getting a bigger pack when you see how much they compress and the weight difference might as well have that extra space for when u may need it

Honestly I’d just go with a SG/Kifrau/Exo/MR 5000ci pack. They all cinch down pretty small so you won’t really notice. My SG is only marginally heavier than my dakine ski/day pack.
This. You’ll regret going small if you ever want to do overnight trips. My SG 5900 compresses down to nothing. Don’t go Badlands, you’ll regret that as well.

Rave reviews on any badlands products are pretty scarce

I have a big pack and would like to add a daypack, but here’s the issue you run into - the extra 2000 cu. in only costs you literally 3-4 extra ounces, which is why so many people use big packs as day packs. MR Pintler 2500 cu in 5.4 lbs, MR Metcalf 4500 cu in 5.7 lbs. If you’re wanting to shave more lbs you usually have to give up either the scabbard or the meat shelf.

My plan is to eventually add a SG Xcurve Minimalist $400. This is not a bag, it’s just a shelf that can hold a 2500 cu in bag. But at 3 lbs 6 oz you can top with a dry bag, add a gun bearer, and you can save a lb or so on targeted trips.

I've run larger packs but the last couple have been in the 3000-3500ci range. I tend to overpack if I have the space. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the big five hunting pack manufacturers. (Stone, EXo, Seekoutside, Kifaru, Mystery) I ran a Stone Solo for the last couple years and am waiting on a SeekOutside Paragrine 3500 that'll be here Wednesday.

While I don’t own an Exo pack, the few people that I do know that have them, have nothing but praise for them. I do own a Badlands 2200, I think it’s a great daypack, but I use it mostly for eastern hunts and have used it for an overnight stint once or twice.

While I don’t own an Exo pack, the few people that I do know that have them, have nothing but praise for them. I do own a Badlands 2200, I think it’s a great daypack, but I use it mostly for eastern hunts and have used it for an overnight stint once or twice.
My hunting partner bought an exo and I bought a stone, he loved it until he compared the two on our hunt last year. I don’t know if he sold his exo yet to replace it with a stone but he was strongly considering it. Also not sure on the other packs but with the stone frame you can have different packs on the same frame. Small day pack or large 6900 pack on the same frame, both with the lid shelf capability.

I am currently running a stone glacier avail for whitetail and really like the quality and size. My only complaint is no water bottle pocket on the outside. I have their attachment and haven’t been able to adjust to where it isn’t in the way. In hindsight I definitely would’ve gone a little bigger for carrying in a stand or blind set up. Probably lean toward a met calf based on the great reviews it gets here.

Thank you all for the replies. Ended up getting a Mystery Ranch Pop Up 38.

Now the search for some kind of hands free rifle carry begins.

@prhunter good choice I hope for you. This thread shows a modification you may want to do with it when it comes in......

I use the SG rifle carrier with my MR Pintler. I like the set up a lot, but keep in mind it is definitely not a quick draw system. I can get my rifle in my hands without dropping my pack, just not fast. The hang up is the webbing on the bottom portion. It takes a two handed effort to get it off the butt of the rifle.

I use my Crew Cab as a day pack in the rockies or in Missouri whitetail hunting. It can carry a 7 day wilderness camp load in three load cells and the lid.

Like Wlm said, all the big bags cinch down to darn near nothing.

I use the gunbearer by kifaru

Good choice, let us know after the season how it worked out for you, as I've been eyeing up that one as well.

Has anyone found a way to “slick” the gun bearer? My hogue stock really sticks in it, otherwise I could be to shoulder fast.
I’m considering a safari sling to be able and get on target quicker, I just dislike the sling with a pack so much! I missed an elk last year because, by the time I had the rifle up, I couldn’t see if it had brow tines as he had moved his head behind a tree and stood there, but a clear shot at his vitals and I could see the whale tail. He walked up and over the ridge hiding behind that tree and I never could find him again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back