Hunting Corn fields

Moosie

Grand poopa
I have NO experience with it. But my buddy drew a tag in Oregon, and jsut got permission to hunt a river bottom surrounded by corn fields. the owner asked if Warren wanted the corn left on, or cut prior to the hunt.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of hunting ? Would it be better to cut the corn or no? Any other advice on hunting private land ?

His best bet would to be to figure out where the deer are bedding. When I lived in Texas the guys who didn't use feeders would set up their stands at entry points to their fields. They had more success shooting them as they left or made their way onto the field rather than actually on it.

The places where I hunt, the deer bed, live, eat in the corn when its standing. I much perfer it to be cut to force them into the woods where i can kill them. The best would be to have it cut about a week before the season starts or less. Deer love fresh cut/spilled corn on the cob. :D

I second what Bambi said. Tell him to cut it shortly before the hunt. the deer will still feed there....or leave a small piece close to the stand

When is the hunt? How big is the corn field?

The size of the field would be the biggest factor of whether to cut it or leave it standing. Bambi is correct that deer will hole up in corn fields (especially after even light hunting pressure). I love hunting small standing fields at this time though because even a small field will concentrate alot of animals. To me the most important detail of stand placement is not being on top of a trail going in and out of the corn but being able to look down the rows from above (I like a lofty stand for this application). It's amazing how much you can see between the rows of dried down corn and how much those deer will move around all day long inside of that corn.

If the field is large (in excess of 15 or so acres), cut it. To much area for the deer to hide and even if they are moving you may not ever see them. It can often be effective too in long narrow fields to take a strip out of the center of the field leaving corn on both edges. During the rut you will see deer running between stands of corn.

Do not cut the corn, this will throw the bucks pattern, trust me, I have dealt with this the last 2 yrs, in my case the buck I have been watching heads to another corn feild somewhere off the property in adjacent land and kegs up. In your case with other surrounding standing corn I am sure the same thing will happen.

Thats easy, tell the guy you want it cut WHILE your there. Just ride on the combine and whack em as they come out.

His best bet would to be to figure out where the deer are bedding. When I lived in Texas the guys who didn't use feeders would set up their stands at entry points to their fields. They had more success shooting them as they left or made their way onto the field rather than actually on it.

That is one I plan on using in a couple of weeks regardless of whether the field is cit ir not. I will be in the woods adjacent;)

Lots of good advice given.Around my area the deer generally move to the next cornfield when one is harvested.With the last one to be harvested holding the majority of the deer in the area.They generally stay in that area till pressured.Unfortunately corn is the only cover I have to hold the deer so generally I prefer it to be left in or hope to be around when it is going out.Have atleast some of the field harvested as the deer seem to move better when this is the case.

I find it wierd that a farmer would offer the option? Normal routine is, you get your harvest in soon as it's ready, because otherwise you stand chance of losing some or all of it due to factors such as the weather knocking the dead stalks down, getting too wet and not being able to get the combine in, etc.
Is this just a small food plot or something like that? If so, leave it stand.

Hunting in and around corn fields is a way of life in the midwest, you just deal with it. Corn fields are great security cover for deer, because it's near impossible for someone to slip up on them undetected in the corn, and they are well hidden from view.

They are picking corn like mad already around here, and bow season doesn't even start until 10/1. Most of the corn will be out of the fields in a few weeks, before most of the serious hunting gets going.

I like to hunt in and around standing corn because the deer seem to be at ease and feel secure. They move about more freely. A hot set up us a tree stand in a fence row through or alongside the standing corn, or a woods edge adjacent standing corn. In early season, deer frequently bed in the standing corn, then migrate into the timber in the evenings to feed on fallen acorns.

It's not much of a food magnet factor around here because it is everywhere. The deer really don't start hitting the corn hard for feed until it gets real cold and a little snow cover. Then they need the carbs to stay warm, and you'll see bunches of them feeding in the afternoons and evenings in harvested corn fields that have some waste grain scattered in them.

Now if this place has the only corn in a big area, you might have a real magnet to draw them in with. Not knowing any more about the conditions, that's about all I can add. Now if you want some real corn field hunting experience sometime, come to my neck of the woods. We're lucky to have 50 acres of woods and cover in every square mile and the rest is all corn and soybeans. Trees are pretty scarce in some areas. It's different hunting, but we've got nice whitetails, and lots of them.

I've hunted corn fields for over 20 yrs now. For us, the best pratice has been to set up a couple, three stands, and then only mow 10' or so shooting lanes radiating from those stands. Provide cover for the deer, but gives you a clear path to shoot. The deer will also use the lanes as a travel path, if the have the cover on each side to provide a sense of security.

Steiny, surprised you guys out that way don't stalk through the corn.Got some locals that on windy days walk through the corn peeking down the rows until they see a deer and then back off a few rows and put the stalk on them.The deer are usually sleeping and the wind masks the noise you make.They generally use a heavier arrow and a fixed blade broadhead in case of deflection.Some have gotten so close they have touched the deer with their arrows.The past few years the farmers seem to get the corn out so fast that this technique has had limited opportunities.With the high prices this year they will be gun ho to get it out fast this year as well.Good way to hunt the middle of the day while waiting for an evening stand.

Steiny, surprised you guys out that way don't stalk through the corn.Got some locals that on windy days walk through the corn peeking down the rows until they see a deer and then back off a few rows and put the stalk on them.

I have done this w/ limited results. I know a couple of guys that are very skilled at this and take great bucks every year. It's true though that in a 20 mph wind those deer can't even hear themselves think much less hear you cracking stalks 20 yards away. Again it is easier to do in smaller fields rather than those rolling 300 acre plots they plant down in the I states.

Have tried stalking in the corn a bunch. Enough to realize it's largely a waste of my time.
The theory sounds good, but it aint my cup of tea. I have a lot better luck letting these highly pressured, paranoid, whiteys come to me and ambushing them, rather than trying to slip up on them.

Moose I was dove hunting Saturday and walking the corn edges and as I rounded tone corner there were 3 deer standing between the corn and the woods. Good trails leading into the corn.

Once the deer get into the corn it's tough to get them. If you have him cut the corn you'll have a much better chance to kill one. Hunt the main trails leading to the corn if standing. Once cut you need to sit back aways and watch to see where the deer are entering the field to set up for your hunt.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back