Hunting clothes advice

luckystryke

I hunt in central Alabama. I will be walking about a mile or so in then getting to stand or shooting house. ? It gets 20s to teens at night and 40s or so during the day during the season. Do I need first lite/sitka base layers or just buy some merino wool blend or are base layers the most important? I was thinking of base layers, hoodie or long sleeve and pants, then maybe a set of bibs then a jacket? Would it be better to just get jacket and pants that are outer layers? I need good gloves and socks as well . Been out of the game but getting back into it since we got some land again. I dont wanna spend a ton but I need a solid set up. I do get a discount with both first lite and sitka.

First, welcome to HT.

I am a huge fan of wool, so I would highly suggest a good merino wool base layer (I use smart wool, but other brands would work), that will breath and keep you warm at the same time.

After that layering is key. you will get sweaty walking in if you dress too heavy, so when you leave the truck have minimal layers so, then when you get to the stand add on clothes.

For stand hunting I think a good set of bibs and a heavy jacket would be plenty at the temps you expect. If it will be windy or a cold snap just keep adding layers to stay warm (hoodies or whatever you have laying around).

First, welcome to HT.

I am a huge fan of wool, so I would highly suggest a good merino wool base layer (I use smart wool, but other brands would work), that will breath and keep you warm at the same time.

After that layering is key. you will get sweaty walking in if you dress too heavy, so when you leave the truck have minimal layers so, then when you get to the stand add on clothes.

For stand hunting I think a good set of bibs and a heavy jacket would be plenty at the temps you expect. If it will be windy or a cold snap just keep adding layers to stay warm (hoodies or whatever you have laying around).
Great advice and just what Im looking for thank you!

I’ve done quite a bit of that type of hunting. I use a base layer of underarmour coldgear, which has always worked well. A bit cheaper too usually. Over that I’ll go with bibs and a heavy jacket that fit a little big. If it’s on the colder side of your range I’ll throw a couple layers in between the base layer and the bibs/parka.

Good socks and boots are helpful too. I prefer a muff with hand warmers and liner gloves.

I usually walk in wearing just the under armour and put on everything else after I get to the stand.

I usually walk in wearing just the under armour and put on everything else after I get to the stand.

That's how we always did it in the Northeast too. Coverall's or Bibs are better IMO since it allows heat to flow better without chance for exposure to the cold, with coveralls being the better option. A warm hoodie as you're outer layer for the walk in is great, because once you don the overalls (or a heavy jacket if you've opted for bibs) you can put the hood up, and it allows heat to flow from your body and around your neck which a toque/beanie cannot do. I always thought your neck was just as important to cover for cold weather comfort as your hands and feet. a good fleece balaclava is always a wise thing to keep in your pack. Basically, you're trying to keep the avenues that would allow cold air to touch your body to a minimum, while keeping warm air circulating around your body and keeping you comfortable. the more comfortable you are, the less you'll move. the less you move, the less chance a buck has to see you first.

I recommend saving money on baselayers and get merino wool layers from nonhunting brands. I'd take the money you save and get a layering system from which ever hunting company you prefer or mix & match brands

Welcome to HT

No need to spend a lot of $ for this kind of hunting. I'd invest in a quality uninsulated water proof jacket and bibs, and upsize on each one. Underneath I would have a base layer, then a middle layer for warmth. The underlayers I'd just get costco or walmart. I typically walk in with few enough layers that I am still shivering, put on the remaining layers when I get there, and then peel off the middle layer when I leave the blind/stand.

I often hunt here in NC in a similar situation. As has been said above I have found that if I'm going that far to my stand I carry in my outer layer (bibs and coat) and don't put them on until I get to the stand. I don't get sweaty and am a lot more comfortable for a cold morning sit. Also, I try to have plenty of time to walk in so that I don't get in a hurry and my feet don't start to sweat. I don't waste time but I don't get in a hurry. I also have a fleece gaiter and stocking cap I put on when I get to my stand. If its really cold I have a turtle neck base layer top I also wear. You'd be surprised how much more comfortable you can be if your neck and head stay warm. Also, arctic shield boot covers are handy if it gets down into the teens and below.

I wouldn't recommend wearing a base layer for that kinda of walking and then hunting stationary for several hours, especially wool. If you want, you can put that on when you get to your stand. I usually walk in wearing regular bdu type pants and a tee shirt and maybe a thin long sleeve shirt, if it's really cold. I carry my fleece, bibs and a warm jacket attached to my pack and put them on after I cool down from my walk in.
If it's private land, leave a buddy heater in the shooting house or ground blind.
On really cold days, I'll take a thermos of coffee with me. I like coffee and it helps warm me up. I killed 2 good eight points last year while drinking coffee. Lol
Just cause it's in the South doesn't mean that it's not cold. Temp in the 30s with high humidity feels a lot colder to me here than in the teens with low humidity and double digit winds out West. The key for me is to not build up a sweat before I get to my stand.

I prefer Drake brand bibs and jackets or 1/4 zip pullovers.

Hi guys, I'm a novice hunter. I would like to ask you what brands you prefer to wear for hunting and if you answer, then tell us who you are hunting. I discovered hunting quite recently. In my family, no one does this and once my friend took me hunting and I really liked it. He said he would definitely buy an ozone generator here at Damage Control. What do you think about this? I will be happy to receive any useful information. I believe that you can achieve success in any business, the main thing is to spend a lot of time and effort on it.

Last edited:
Echoing what everyone said so far. Just remember "cotton kills" .
You don't need camo. Earth tone colors are good enough if your quarry sees color. Regardless of color or camo pattern, what will get you busted is movement and/or smell. Forget the scent covers just mind the wind.

I'm with glass eye on colors - earth tones for that type of hunting is as good as any fancy camo gear. Get a good fleece sweater to conserve the heat after the walk, a warm jacket on top and you're good to go. Don't forget the non-reflective glasses - took me a while to figure this one out...

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back