Caribou Gear

Hunting Boot Advice

JKinds

My dilemma is that my feet sweat, then my feet get cold. Wondering if I should opt for non-insulated boots in hopes of allowing my feet not to sweat. Anyone else run into something similar? Any advice on types of socks, liners, etc would be much appreciated.
Thanks,

I wear uninsulated boots down to zero, even a little under, without issues. I also use the same light to mid weight wool socks year round, no liner. It's not a problem as long as I manage my metabolism and foot moisture. I use disposable toe warmers in the mornings and I'm good all day in those conditions. I wear the same hiking shoe from Sept-November and May-June for spring bear, including some sheepy terrain like so that's hard on feet and footwear.

IMG_1975.JPG

My solution is somewhat unorthodox in the hunting community, but not really overall. I haven't had a blister in many years and feel better after 110-115# loads than I did in mountaineering boots. My feet are pretty screwed up, so I need a softer midsole to cover lots of miles; just the way it is. There is a lot of trial and error (and personal preference) associated with finding the right foot gear in my experience; more than about any other gear I can think of. The best advice I have is just try different combos until something works for you.

My favorite hunting socks are "Realtree Heavyweight Merino Wool Tall All Season Boot Sock". I wear them for every kind of hunting. If stand hunting I wear a 600g insulated boots and an additional thin sock; if doing a lot of walking I wear the one pair of thick wool socks and an uninsulated boots. They dry out easily and don't stink (at least mine).

I have very sweaty feet. I'll run no insulation down to 0, and insulated below that. Dress socks plus smart wools. If it's above freezing I use just the dress socks. If I sit for a while my feet get chilly and I just wiggle my toes to keep up the circulation. I prefer that over wet feet.

My feet sweat terribly as well, I have good boots, lowas and meindls, but until I upgraded to a high quality sock the boot was irrelevant. My lowa tibets are uninsulated and the meindls are the perfect hunters and are 400 gram, I switch to the meindls at about 15-20 degrees and depending on activity level and general conditions. I would go uninsulated first with a high quality boot and make sure not to skimp on socks. I like farm to feet but lots of good socks out there. A couple pairs will last a long time.

You may want to try an antiperspirant aerosol spray, then a good wick sock. I put on a militery green wool sock with N/I Kenetrek boot. If you have to walk any distance to where you are going carry extra pairs of socks and change when you get to where you are going.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back