Caribou Gear

Hunting and Bipolar

Coon was good to eat. Most people would probably believe it was beef brisket if they were told that’s what it was, seasoned only with salt. With BBQ sauce added it’s nearly indistinguishable. The meat is tender, slightly greasy, sweet, and has a very mild flavor. I could not detect any aroma from the raw flesh, and when cooked only the fat has a slight odor, not unpleasant. In my area they mainly eat the same field corn that cows eat, so seems to make sense.

The meat before being shredded.
View attachment 303613
Had BBQ coon sandwiches that were really good.
Used to go to a wild game dinner every year when I was younger, there'd be every type of meat imaginable there, and the BBQ Raccoon was always one of my favorites out of everything.

Yall need help.

Glassed a marsh at daybreak and didn’t turn up anything interesting. I did see a kingfisher catch it’s breakfast on the first attempt.
6821425C-D72B-4E0E-B828-DD7751227D60.jpeg

Later I sat my evening treestand, and was able to finally connect my dad’s shotgun on a deer. https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/se...ctions-for-hunting.320887/page-2#post-3652068
FA57E248-1E62-486B-8DD2-F4B7A42CAF23.jpeg

Pass through and ricochet. 380 gr. slug destroyed the deer’s liver - he only made it about 80 yards.
F0B8646A-8DC6-424A-8E58-FD9C61B6661E.jpeg

An interesting note on the button buck - he was sexually mature. Stubby antlers above the skin, relatively large body size, unusually fat for a fawn, active tarsal glands (the one on the right leg is visible in the pic), and enlarged testes. I’ve read about fawns doing this but have never seen it until today.

D2C2A088-5F29-421F-A86F-D83C90FC1515.jpeg

Bought a couple doe tags for southern IA in an area I’ve never set foot in. Evening ambush with the monopod/trekking pole and my handgun. I fell asleep and awoke to drawn-out breeding grunts beyond the brushy cover to the left of the frame. A doe or doe fawn ran out of there and I never saw the buck - I think he kept low in a washout out of sight.

FE65A0A9-A257-4802-9998-6B4CE5AF5F08.jpeg

December surprise! My wife thought she was putting on a few holiday lbs, but visit to the doctor last month showed positive pregnancy test. Fertility clinic had previously told us we couldn’t conceive. JK, LOL, apparently! Biggest shock was ultrasound on Friday showed baby is due in just 5 weeks 😱😱 We’ll have to go buy back all the baby stuff we donated to Goodwill, haha.

Hasn’t really sunk in yet for me. My wife couldn’t be happier. She has always wanted to carry a baby.

View attachment 305791

December surprise! My wife thought she was putting on a few holiday lbs, but visit to the doctor last month showed positive pregnancy test. Fertility clinic had previously told us we couldn’t conceive. JK, LOL, apparently! Biggest shock was ultrasound on Friday showed baby is due in just 5 weeks 😱😱 We’ll have to go buy back all the baby stuff we donated to Goodwill, haha.

Hasn’t really sunk in yet for me. My wife couldn’t be happier. She has always wanted to carry a baby.

That’s a Happy New Year. Congrats!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back