Caribou Gear Tarp

Hunting and Bipolar

Yesterday was all teal. Jump shot one and spot and staked to get another. Yearling female and an older male. Last group I stalked I was a second away from squeezing the trigger when a hawk dropped straight down and just missed it’s dinner when the target duck dove underwater. Awesome to see close up. I was distracted and missed one shot as the teal flew off.

I also found a buck skeleton, a likely casualty of last hunting season. Pretty cool, he had 2 split brows, left G2 kicker, left G3 double tine, and right G4/F crab claw. I took an incisor for aging. Reminds me how nice it is that IA has no Nov firearm deer season unlike nearly every other state.

I’m getting my Accord as ready (as it can be) for Wyoming in a couple weeks. 3 lights replaced, fixed drooping headliner, new spark plugs and coils, oil change, and battery check. Just tire pressure left and I’m good for a road trip.

Getting busted by my scent a lot lately. Sat AM folding chair sit, and saw a forkie pushing a yearling doe towards me. I had to pick which side of the big tree I was against they would come past. I picked wrong and the doe blew out at 15 yards.

Last night stand sit and a doe came in behind me at 20 yards, scented me and blew out.

This AM glassing tall grass at daybreak and spotted a yearling buck. Getting packed up to leave and a young bedded doe winded me at 30 yards just behind these locust trees. Either she was already there when I arrived in the dark, or else she just walked in through grass much taller than her.

Attachments

• ADB33BEB-7FFD-4A29-B2C3-673B6850FC3A.jpeg
    ADB33BEB-7FFD-4A29-B2C3-673B6850FC3A.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 5
“Do you want to go hunting with me tonight?”
“Yeah.”

Today’s yeah was far less enthusiastic than the last time I asked my daughter. A couple weeks ago the mosquitoes were bad and she came away with 18 angry welts. I am not allergic to mosquito saliva and I didn’t think to bring bug dope.

She asked what we were hunting for, and I said whatever she wanted.

“Deer. Are tacos deer? I like deer because they’re big - there’s a lot of meat.”

I’m laughing so hard on the inside, but I don’t want to show it. These little phrases of hers melt my heart. Last month she was disappointed and a little confused after she asked the meat counter guy at Fareway if he had deer. They have this huge showcase of meat, and none of it is deer??

Our freezer is out out. I gave too much away from last season and my twin 4-year old boys started consuming far more meat than they did as 3-year-olds. I’m keen on filling at least one of my two archery doe tags.

Much to my chagrin, my wife came home with $80 of beef. “There’s no guarantee you’re going to get one opening day.” I could have filled my buck tag on a forkie the first weekend, but I decided I can eat beef for a minute so I can still hunt the rut.

Back to today. I picked a spot that is a bit of a drive, a long walk in, but it’s a flat easy path. On the drive there I told her we can also shoot rabbits, squirrels, and coyotes.

“What’s a coyote?”
“It’s kind of like a dog?”
“I don’t want to shoot a dog.”

I queued up some YouTube recordings of pheasant, bobcat, and coyote vocalizations for the drive. She commented that the coyote didn’t look at all like a dog.

Getting closer to the access point we played our regular game of what first wild animal we’d see. I’m playing from behind as she’s up on me 3-0 from previous outings. I took pheasant and she guessed squirrel. We didn’t even open the car doors in the parking area when a rooster glided over our hood. 3-1 😁

Five minutes of waking and she asks if we can set up. She knows we can kill a deer just as easily 50 yards off the road as a mile in, but I have a spot in mind already. It takes a lot of convincing her to keep moving towards the distant stand, but we eventually arrive after a half dozen proposals to “let’s just hunt here.” My intended ambush won’t work due to shifting NE and NW wind. Kiddo laughs when she squeezes the talc and it blows in her face.

An alternative stand a couple hundred yards off is not ideal, but it’s the best for the situation. I’ve seen deer on this corner many times previously.
0B9EA90A-7A80-4059-BA15-33F68F82B601.jpeg
6D6A6E41-8834-41DA-9478-5FDDDE325F0F.jpeg

Shadows deepen and the sun sinks below the hedges. A rabbit peeps out 10 yards away.
“Hey, do you want me to shoot a rabbit?”
“WHAT??”

OK…rabbit is definitely off the board.

20 mins to go, and I spy a yearling doe right where I initially wanted to sit.

“Don’t move! I’m going to go get that deer!”

Kiddo watches from her pink butterfly folding chair as I creep like a cat, closing the distance to 25 yards. She sees me draw back, hold, then draw down. Walk back bummed.

“Did you miss?”
“No. I only saw it’s head. I wanted a heart shot, and didn’t get it”
[5 mins of silence]
“Why can you not shoot a deer in the head?”

We have a little chat about ethical shooting in 6-year-old language. Some other day I’ll tell her about the “deadliest mushroom in the woods” I put between a buck’s ears 20 years ago, mistaking lucky for good.

It’s dark now, and we’re packing up.

“Dad, can you stop talking for a minute so we can hear the animal?”

A pause, and then distant shrill yips and a short howl pierce the silence.

“Is that a coyote?”
“It is.”
“I knew what animal was speaking!”
“That’s fun, isn’t it? What do you think he’s saying?”
“…Hi.”

She appreciated having her own headlamp for the walk back. The sky is clear and we click our lamps off at the car.

“It’s so dark…I can’t see anything.”
“The moon hasn’t come out yet.”
“Yeah, but there are all the stars.”

Monday morning ambush for deer and turkeys. Nothing spotted. No hard frost yet and the woods are still very green.
ED72879B-BAEA-4050-8EEA-75B2DA149B04.jpeg

Tuesday ambush for turkeys off a busy road. The local police called me asking if I was broke down. Then on the way out a guy and a gal passing by on a motorcycle shared their opinions:

Woman: GOOD LUCK!
Man: YOU GUYS SUCK!!

Apparently a divided household, and I’m still not sure who “you guys” referred to. Accord drivers? Guys with full beards? Who knows.

Next hunt is in the mountains. I’m looking forward to hiking far off the roads and hopefully catch some mulie bucks on their feet in temps dipping close to 0.

Currently have my longest tag drought going since my bull elk last year - 0/9.

Not ideal timing being the eve of my big trip for the year, but the blahs have begun creeping in. Work has been exceptionally stressful this year, with the last couple of weeks being some of the most challenging.

Disclosing my diagnoses and seeking some basic work accommodations to be able to continue in my position has resulted in dramatic shifts in the landscape of my professional social support network. Some of my closest allies and longtime supporters have distanced themselves from me, which is something I never could have imagined. It seems to be a combination of others’ skepticism of the gravity of my chronic illness symptoms, and the reality of having to make a degree of personal sacrifice to stand with me when I’m not at my usual best. I didn’t know who my fair weather supporters were until the weather was no longer fair. It is acutely painful, and I feel a tremendous and unrelenting sense of loss and sadness. For the first time in my career I don’t see any path to being able to continue in my field long-term.

Some days I regret opening up about my mental health struggles, and I wonder what life would be like if I had just continued to suffer silently.

On the plus side, I have gained new friends and supporters, most from some unexpected corners. Many are colleagues I’ve had for years but knew only as acquaintances. The common thread among new contacts are their own longtime struggles with anxiety, trauma, and/or depression, and the corresponding challenges of navigating a demanding career in public safety. They know because they’ve lived through those dark times, or still do.

FWIW, a week of vacation alone in the mountains and foothills is good medicine. I don’t have the giddy sense of anticipation and excitement I always do with a couple of decent tags in my pocket, but I’m hopeful that once I am out in the field I start to feel differently.

Wednesday I got off work and went straight to bed for 13 hours. Thursday I still lacked the motivation to pack my gear, and the best I could manage was just to dump all my gear in my car in a big pile. Last night was time with family whom I will miss dearly over the next 8-9 days.

Time to hit the road, WY by nightfall.

Arrived and picked out a good camping spot.
D6F09BA5-EF1D-4E30-836C-A9834135DCB4.jpeg

I sorted though my gear and identified a few things that I forgot to bring - nothing too important, and stuff I can also buy in town.

The antelope are piled up across the unit boundary where they got pushed out of my limited access unit to one with good access and fewer tags. There are about 30-35 antelope bucks and does in 4 groups right by camp. I’m guessing I’ll be spending much of the day hiking in aways to find animals my tag is good for. I checked out the access point and there was just one rig pulling out.

I’m still pretty indifferent to being here. Camping with a view of stars that are not visible in Iowa due to light pollution is always wonderful.

View attachment 298226

I sorted though my gear and identified a few things that I forgot to bring - nothing too important, and stuff I can also buy in town.

The antelope are piled up across the unit boundary where they got pushed out of my limited access unit to one with good access and fewer tags. There are about 30-35 antelope bucks and does in 4 groups right by camp. I’m guessing I’ll be spending much of the day hiking in aways to find animals my tag is good for. I checked out the access point and there was just one rig pulling out.

I’m still pretty indifferent to being here. Camping with a view of stars that are not visible in Iowa due to light pollution is always wonderful.
Hopefully you can get a little more into it once you start putting a couple stalks on animals.

View attachment 298226

From one Iowan to another good luck and enjoy the hunt.

Not ideal timing being the eve of my big trip for the year, but the blahs have begun creeping in. Work has been exceptionally stressful this year, with the last couple of weeks being some of the most challenging.

Disclosing my diagnoses and seeking some basic work accommodations to be able to continue in my position has resulted in dramatic shifts in the landscape of my professional social support network. Some of my closest allies and longtime supporters have distanced themselves from me, which is something I never could have imagined. It seems to be a combination of others’ skepticism of the gravity of my chronic illness symptoms, and the reality of having to make a degree of personal sacrifice to stand with me when I’m not at my usual best. I didn’t know who my fair weather supporters were until the weather was no longer fair. It is acutely painful, and I feel a tremendous and unrelenting sense of loss and sadness. For the first time in my career I don’t see any path to being able to continue in my field long-term.

Some days I regret opening up about my mental health struggles, and I wonder what life would be like if I had just continued to suffer silently.

On the plus side, I have gained new friends and supporters, most from some unexpected corners. Many are colleagues I’ve had for years but knew only as acquaintances. The common thread among new contacts are their own longtime struggles with anxiety, trauma, and/or depression, and the corresponding challenges of navigating a demanding career in public safety. They know because they’ve lived through those dark times, or still do.

FWIW, a week of vacation alone in the mountains and foothills is good medicine. I don’t have the giddy sense of anticipation and excitement I always do with a couple of decent tags in my pocket, but I’m hopeful that once I am out in the field I start to feel differently.

Wednesday I got off work and went straight to bed for 13 hours. Thursday I still lacked the motivation to pack my gear, and the best I could manage was just to dump all my gear in my car in a big pile. Last night was time with family whom I will miss dearly over the next 8-9 days.

Time to hit the road, WY by nightfall.
When the chips are down, you find out who your real friends are. Never mind those fair weather friends, those folks come and go. I’ve been there. Count your blessings in those who stick by you through anything. Those are the ones worth expending energy on. Good luck in WY!

I hiked about 10-12 miles today and I’m still in the field. Weather is beautiful and I’ll have a moonlit walk back to the car over the next 4-5 hours.

First group spotted was a doe and fawn pair. We played cat and mouse most of the day and they busted me at least five times (2 dots on the hilltop)
58E4BCD8-A2DA-4BE3-AF08-EEEA9E29CBEA.jpeg

Second group was 5 does and fawns. I spotted them twice from far away, and when I got close they were gone. Very low density antelope spot, which is actually very nice since I didn’t see another person all day. Maybe this owl will have better luck catching game.
C53CC4C0-C90A-4726-A2CD-F885583ECB46.jpeg

I took a second look at my miles backpacked yesterday and it was more like 27-28 miles over 19 hours. I hunted hard but I messed up my feet. I knew I was pushing my body way too hard, and I didn’t care. Normally I’ll stop and change socks, doctor hotspots, etc.

On the way back to camp I could not locate my tent. I looked for about a half hour and gave up. I figured it either blew away, my waypoint was not accurately marked, or someone took it. My only eyewear not in the tent were the dailies in my eyes, so I just sat awake in the car until daybreak. Turns out I marked camp about 125 yards from my actual tent 🤦

Drove into town for a shower and the missing gear I forgot to bring. Now I’m off to sleep, possibly until tomorrow morning. Forecast is very cold by the end of the week which are my best deer opportunity days. Feet should be in better shape by then. I may be doing some glassing and light scouting over the next few days.

Ended up napping 4 hrs, feeling refreshed. Closer inspection of my feet revealed many blisters and a couple bruises, but no ruptured skin. I put my backup boots on and went for a brief 2-mile hike/glass outing to keep my muscles loose. Saw no animals. Back at the tent a light rain put me to sleep like a lullaby. Vikings up 10-0 on SF.

Nearly 12 hours later I’m up, sleep deficit is gone. I am certain MN must have blew their lead, but somehow they walk away with a W??? I am feeling my luck is about to turn as well.

As soon as the tent is dry I’m packing up to relocate to deer camp. First spot is a 3-4 mile hike to 11 finger ridges. I hope to glass the first one at dusk tonight, then if it looks promising, pick apart the other ridges 1 by 1 sunrise and sunset over several days.

Back