Hunting and Bipolar

I am feeling better as I adjust to the new med. I coordinated with my wife to do 2 honey-do project days and some dad duty in exchange for time afield. My energy is not 100%. I can be active about 2/3 of the day for max of about two hours at a time before I need a rest break.

Friday I went after birds in a different spot for a couple hours. Quickly spotted a group of six loafing birds. They were obscured by brush and it didn’t look like there was a tom in the group. I snuck in to about 130 yards and watched them through the binos for 45 mins before confirming 2 jakes and 4 hens.

Sunday I hunted the whole day. Set up in a different spot near a likely roost. I got lucky and the only bird gobbling from a tree was about 150 yards away. We talked back and forth for 45 mins until he pitched down in the opposite direction and headed off to see his girlfriends. I followed his gobbles until l caught up with him and tried to fan him to me, but he wasn’t interested.

I took a snack break only to find I forgot my bag with lunch and snacks on the kitchen counter. With brain fog this sort of thing occurs frequently.

Next I went on a long hike, run and gun. I heard one gobbler, but he went quiet after I called back.

About 2 PM I had put maybe 5 miles in, and I was getting really hungry. I found some ramps under an oak tree and chowed down. Several mouthfuls later I got a funny tingling feeling in my throat. I checked on my phone and confirmed these plants were not ramps! Unlike ramps these get dark mottling as they mature, have a single leaf instead of three, and have a deeper root. They did have a pleasant leek flavor, but I end up paying for my impulsivity later 🤢🤮

I heard gobbles from where I started the day, so I headed back there. At 250 yards I found a strutting tom. He was in a good spot to crawl in with a fan though the young grass. After maybe 60 yards though I bumped into 4 jakes. They were curious and nervous and kind of paced and crept closer over about 20 mins. I finally convinced myself to take one and end my hunt…I doubted I’d ever get past them to get to the tom. Except, I missed 🤦‍♂️😆😆 I must have pulled the shot or didn’t line up the sights.

Great day for sunshine, exercise, and wildlife viewing. I probably spent a good couple hours watching deer, coons, squirrels, waterfowl, hawks, owls, and songbirds.
3AE66925-5293-4445-984C-81528CCCF71E.jpeg4EFD84C3-3750-4E32-A93E-D3FBCD8E773D.jpeg9A846555-1CB0-401D-930C-D54B6FC9CC76.jpeg

Next up, last season turkey and morel finding.

Found some REAL ramps today. They taste much better than the poison stuff I ate the other day.
365485A3-630F-4D73-9576-16BA797C2412.jpegA6A78E19-60F0-4773-AC6C-B1F93E9EE7EA.jpeg

Called in a jake to 10 yards. He poked around for about 15 mins, very determined to find the “hidden” hen. Then I went after the roosted tom from last weekend and he paid me little attention again. Next I think I’ll try to decoy on the opposite side from his roost, or else just ambush along his daily routes. I have him patterned pretty well.

My energy and motivation are back to about 75% of normal. I’ve been able to stay productive with intentional planning, and pacing myself with breaks. Between the last 2 weekends I was able to re-grout the master bath, and check off 18 other honey-do tasks.
9E707822-01A6-4016-A4D4-5717982A54B5.jpeg

Thursday arrived at the hunting spot and realized I had forgotten my boots. I have ended up walking barefoot gingerly for 3 1/2 miles, noting all the cockleburs, nettle, and thistles along the way.

Once I set my decoys I called and had a jake come in within 5 mins. Later had two adult coyotes trot in, one to 50 yards and the other to 15. They seemed to sense something fishy, ran off and circled back around downwind.

I have a couple more times out to find an elusive tom.
3A7B07A9-F44D-45B1-A61D-AA2E6B7C1224.jpeg18A01949-E79A-4CC7-8A1E-51DD283E43D0.jpeg

Sunday followed gobbles and tried to intercept a strutter and his hen. After I lost them in tall grass I climbed a tree to try and relocate. Heard and saw him fly across a creek about 400 yards out, then I made a big 1/2 mile loop around to head them off. First set up I tried calling and nothing. Relocated to another route he could have took, and set up. I got the location correct but selected a poor set-up as it was thick cover and only 10 yards of visibility. I had moved within the tom’s comfort zone of probably less than 100 yards, and he came right in to some soft clucks. But when he popped out behind a shrub he was only 10 yards away, immediately saw me and flew away.
B39FCC35-6AD4-4055-8BD4-D08B568BEAF6.jpeg

Wife called about 6:30 PM to report our property had 2-3” hail. I just repaired $25k storm damage 2 years ago, and have about the same amount again - summer projects are now 3 new roofs, siding, gutters, doors/windows, etc.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back