Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Hunting a good looking spot

brnsvllyjohn

How many days are you willing to hunt a spot that looks great but you can't find a buck in? I am getting better at being patient but I could probably still improve.
I will use a hunt from last year in the California Sierras as an example. I had made 2 trips during archery season and one really good looking hillside was getting a lot of my attention. All I ever saw was a couple of does and a couple of bears. I had a buddy in camp off and on and my son was only going to be able to hunt late Saturday and then all day Sunday of closing weekend. We had no time on Saturday to hunt much so I took my son to this great look out just to show him the area. We sat down and he was on my spotting scope and I was on my 10x50 Swarovski binoculars. After about 30 minutes he said he had horns at 1/2 mile. I found them in the binos and eventually 1 bedded buck turned into 3. The next morning he went in in the dark and he got between the bucks and the timber and waited over 3 hours before he had a 4 point walk past him. He connected. I was a 1/2 mile away watching it all morning with my binoculars. A very interesting morning for me. When I told the other guy who had hunted with me earlier where the bucks were he just kept asking why he never saw them or why I hadn't spotted them on an earlier hunt. Can't answer that but I may be more patient in the future when an area looks right and stay with it a little longer.
My son crawled for about 2 hours without his boots and he didn't think about taking water either. The only good I did was once the buck was hit I was able to watch it bed so no tracking was needed although my son said the blood trail was incredible and he wouldn't have had an issue tracking it. Telling my son to wait an hour before going in on the buck was a difficult argument but it all worked out.

Great story and congrats on the buck. Could you post a picture? I have a real hard time with patience too......

Not sure why it turned sideways. Not real good with computers. I also provide the quad for the 4 mile ride back to camp. This is why I bought a 2 up quad. Polaris Sportsman Touring 570.
This is the first photo I have attempted on this website, maybe I will get better.

I would say you have it figured out but sometimes when it's glass good looking stuff all I turn up is does. Maybe I'm not patient enough either but I tend to keep moving early morning or late at night afternoon is when I see ya put for a while. I hunt black powder mostly and seems to me the bucks get up at about 1:00 pm seems the flys and temps get them to get up and move.

Still turning sideways. One more of his buck and then my rifle season buck from the same general area a few weeks later. His is way bigger.

If your putting pics on from your phone screenshot them first and use it. I think it reduces the size of the photo and it will go on straight. Nice deer!

If your putting pics on from your phone screenshot them first and use it. I think it reduces the size of the photo and it will go on straight. Nice deer!
Well I just spent 30 minutes trying to figure out how to do a screenshot. LOL I think I have it and I might try that next time I post a photo. Yes all photos are from my phone since I have never figured out how to download them to the computer. Yes I am old and I do not like computers.

I had a wise man one time tell me there is a difference in a pretty spot and a good spot. knowing the difference is important. Obviously not the case here....But I'm just sayin:) Congrats on the success!! many times being patient pays big dividends.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back