Hunters of Color podcast

Hmong people that hunt the woods I like to frequent and they have been maligned by more people than I can count. I've never witnessed them breaking any game laws or even inconsiderate and yet to hear some of these mouth-breathers they're the poachingest, nastiest people on the planet.
Meateater did a podcast on this. It was very interesting and very evident there was racial/cultural issues that need to be resolved in the mouth breathers.

As far as "pulling up bootstraps", my wife lived in West Virginia for much of her childhood. There were kids in her classes who came to school in the winter with their feet wrapped in newspaper and bread bags. And painted their feet with shoe polish in warmer weather so it would look like they had shoes. All white kids.

As far as "pulling up bootstraps", my wife lived in West Virginia for much of her childhood. There were kids in her classes who came to school in the winter with their feet wrapped in newspaper and bread bags. And painted their feet with shoe polish in warmer weather so it would look like they had shoes. All white kids.

I have friends that happen to be white that grew up doing similar. That’s awesome your wife pulled up her boots, and I hope those kids did too. Poverty sucks.

I hope you don’t think I was trying to say that one can’t overcome certain challenges, or that all white kids have it easy. I live in Spokane, Washinton and teach in predominantly “white” district. Therefore most of the poverty stricken families I deal with are white. I have colleagues that teach in Washington’s poorest community that happens to be in the Hillyard area of Spokane. It is by far our most diverse area.

I attached a couple of studies below. The data says that in terms of race the highest percentage of poverty stricken families are black (18.8%). White and Asian have the lowest level of poverty at 7.3%. This cycle will continue due to student dropout; 9 out of 10 students that have never been poor graduate high school. Sadly, 3 out of 4 ever poor students will drop out.

The good news is that poverty continues to drop for all in the US! Life is damn hard for all, but this is a great sign.

Census Data
Child poverty Adult Success Study

I’ve never understood how anyone can think that they’re better than someone else. Period. To think that way because of race is even more asinine to me. I liked that article referenced in the post above. But the writer made me scratch my head when he talked about inalienable rights but left out “endowed by their creator.” You always mess up when you leave out the Creator.

I have friends that happen to be white that grew up doing similar. That’s awesome your wife pulled up her boots, and I hope those kids did too. Poverty sucks.

I hope you don’t think I was trying to say that one can’t overcome certain challenges, or that all white kids have it easy. I live in Spokane, Washinton and teach in predominantly “white” district. Therefore most of the poverty stricken families I deal with are white. I have colleagues that teach in Washington’s poorest community that happens to be in the Hillyard area of Spokane. It is by far our most diverse area.

I attached a couple of studies below. The data says that in terms of race the highest percentage of poverty stricken families are black (18.8%). White and Asian have the lowest level of poverty at 7.3%. This cycle will continue due to student dropout; 9 out of 10 students that have never been poor graduate high school. Sadly, 3 out of 4 ever poor students will drop out.

The good news is that poverty continues to drop for all in the US! Life is damn hard for all, but this is a great sign.

Census Data
Child poverty Adult Success Study
Thanks for the stats. Just so I don't get in trouble, my wife's father was a PhD Chemical Engineer, so she had shoes ;)

This is an issue that is near and dear to my heart.

In the 1940.s a Navajo girl and I were friends. She stayed with me and my family on the ranch and I stayed with her and her family on the reservation .

But when we went to town, I would hear, "she is not allowed in here", so we would both leave. What made this even more ridiculous to me is her brother was a World War II, Navajo Code Talker, but his younger sister was not allowed into a restaurant in Arizona.

It makes no sense to me, but it still exists ( racism ) today, in Arizona and that is one of the things mentioned in the article OAK posted for us that I want to address. The gentleman in the story said he wondered if he would ever think of Montana as his home again. I do and will always think of Arizona as my home, and I love her, it is some of the people in the state that I have a problem with---

There has also been lighter sides to the differences in "us"--our culture, heritage, race. I was never a professional dancer but always loved music and dance. We were in a nightclub in San Diego with friends one night and one of the men at our table, who was a young black man, said white people can't dance ! And some others at the table said "your up April " Fun memory

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Randy and his staff for providing a forum that---- females and people of all colors, races and religions are welcome and protected from racism and sexism. Thank you

I grew up with kids of all races , colors, country of origin, etc. The one thing that separated us from the "others" was wealth. We were middle class,blue collar kids. Cane poles & slingshots. I listened.
Did 2 tours with a southern black logger,my Chief, and a Apache kid younger than me who had my back.
One of the few things we had in common and would talk on was we were middle class working kids,who fished & hunted. I listened.
My fondest memories of being a Park Ranger was the weekend fishing clinics for the kids @ Santa Margarita Lake. The nature walks. The best part was the Reverend who put them on.
Dr. Barry Bonds. Bobby's brother. The OG Barry.
He and his wife would work for weeks to get gear together and plan the BBQ. We would have BBQ's to plan,lol. I listened.
Every congregation and every organization worth a damn in the mostly white county would plan with us. Every LEO I knew,knew of the plan. I listened.

There was a local tough guy with some issues who would come to the park to fish with his family. Not a bad guy just lost. Several times I would see the Reverend talking to him, alone. One day I asked him about this tatted up ,sometimes drunk,sometimes doped up(in my mind), guy.
What's his deal?
"Well Hank, he's just a poor white kid who likes to fight" He had him going to a gym to train. "He's just like you", he would tell me. "But instead of walking into battle, his walk would be into a cage to fight".
A cage ?
Like me he needed direction. A calm voice in the madness. A task and purpose in life. Like me?
So I spent a few afternoons rigging poles with line and making leader/hook set ups for the kids with the Rev. & Mrs, and Chuck. I listened. We ate BBQ and talked. I listened.
The last time I saw Chuck was at the lake. Him and his family in the station wagon.
He asked me if he could help set up the kids cove and that the Rev & Mrs. would be along and he had a bus load of kids coming from the Rez. to help.
I told him I would show him the cove and what was needed by volunteers. And I told him I would not be helping nor be there that year. I was retiring and moving to NM. He frowned. He understood.

I spent the afternoon clearing out 20 years of stuff into my truck. Was going to leave early.
I get a radio call for possible EMS situation at the back launch ramp.

Well Chuck had gone around and talked to all the local folks at the lake fishing & such. BBQ. Folks I had worked with and such showed.
There with the Bonds and the Lopez family from the marina store and dozens of screaming kids was Chuck & family.
I never left early that day. The last one to come over and shake my hand was Chuck. He gave me a hug and said "Thanks for giving me a chance. For listening"
I just said, "Your a good man Chuck Liddell" .

I'm still listening.

Great podcast. Thanks for highlighting this issue. I'd add that it's hard to disconnect the issues with having minorities involved in woods with the history of (1) Lynching and (2) Sundown Towns. IMO, that's the big unsaid part that has created a multi-generational, relatively widespread belief that hunting is "unsafe" for some Americans.

I’ve shared these before but here is a better place.

Growing up in Eastern Va hunting was just something people did no matter what color you were. It seems like the younger generation is getting farther away hunting but growing up it seemed like every truck had a dog box and every male either hunted deer or rabbits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back