Hunter threatened after using onX

That would be scary! I'm glad he had the app and was able to prove that he was not on their land. Even if he would have been, it still doesn't warrant gunfire! It's a shame but fortunate that he had to have a dash cam to protect himself and prove his statements.

Holy shit! That’s absolutely meanwhile.... man some people, I just can’t understand their thought process, glad it diffused itself and those people were arrested.

Surveying public land boundaries I ran into probably a hundred landowners who insisted they owned land they didn't. The most common excuse was " The realtor told me my property went all the way up to the ridge." I was verbally threatened several times and threatened with a gun three times (never shot at.) Having a federal marshal pay them a visit always seemed to make them play nice. Most of the time it was people who honestly thought they owned the land. Some were doing something illegal on public land and didn't want anyone to find out. Some didn't really care, they just hated the government and wanted to cause trouble. They usually turned out to be real nice people. One lady who threatened me with a gun was just pissed because she was elk hunting on her land and thought I was on her land and had chased the elk away so that's was understandable. Fact was when we got there that morning we saw a group of hunters leaving her property after chasing the elk away. She was so mad she called my boss to complain that she didn't like my attitude. She threatened to shoot me with a .30-06 and I was the one with a bad attitude.

Totally unrelated, but I'm working on a water rights project where a farmer purchased a parcel of land, that both he and his realtor concluded was east of his house. He's in section 2. The property description was XXXX section 1. All the maps at the time showed it east of his house. He farmed the property for almost a generation. But he always thought it was weird the County had an open land designation for it come tax time. Turns out back in the 1800's a large land company filed some plats that got approved with sections that were 1.5 miles tall, this skewed the entire township. So section 1 was not east of section 2... but south south quite a ways, on a barren hillside. He's been farming a neighbors property. He's now having to go through adverse possession to get the land he thought he owned. It's a total mess

Just goes to show that it's not always as easy as it seems to actually know you're property boundaries.

None of that says anything about gittin' yur gun out and pretended yur Wyatt Earp

Totally unrelated, but I'm working on a water rights project where a farmer purchased a parcel of land, that both he and his realtor concluded was east of his house. He's in section 2. The property description was XXXX section 1. All the maps at the time showed it east of his house. He farmed the property for almost a generation. But he always thought it was weird the County had an open land designation for it come tax time. Turns out back in the 1800's a large land company filed some plats that got approved with sections that were 1.5 miles tall, this skewed the entire township. So section 1 was not east of section 2... but south south quite a ways, on a barren hillside. He's been farming a neighbors property. He's now having to go through adverse possession to get the land he thought he owned. It's a total mess

Just goes to show that it's not always as easy as it seems to actually know you're property boundaries.

None of that says anything about gittin' yur gun out and pretended yur Wyatt Earp

I've had to explain to a West Virginia landowner they own 280 acres not 500... the land was in their family for like 6 generations. I was very happy the conversation didn't occur in person.

My FIL's ranch was mapped incorrectly, after a lot of complaining the county fixed their layer... took almost 5 years for it to pull up correctly on the BLM parcel layer.

There is always the possibility that OnXmaps/the county etc is wrong. Stick to your guns, but always be respectful.

Know this, if someone confronts me and pulls out a knife and points it at me within striking distance, and then I draw my gun to protect myself, and then their partner in the assault pulls out a derringer and points it at me, things are going to get real VERY quickly.

People are out of their minds these days. Holy smokes.

What choice would a person have at that point? 2 I recon.

I think those knuckleheads are lucky to be in jail and not in the morgue. Pointing a gun at someone is an invitation to take the room temperature challenge.

I have seen some strange things on OnX. I was hunting elk in the late season in a new area and on OnX it showed blue (state land here) and I clicked on to see what agency managed it and it had DNR and someone else’s name. Ok. Hunted on a DNR piece across the valley and come upon a house with a shop and other out buildings, what the heck.
I contacted OnX, they said it was correct and maybe someone was leasing it. I didn’t know the leasee would have their name on the legal property owner listing.
I contacted DNR about the house, “Oh yeah, that house was there when DNR bought the property and they rent it.”
Didn’t know they owned rental housing.
They do do a lot of grazing leases and what not in this state though but still legal to hunt, FYI.

OnX disclaimer...

(c) ALL CONTENT MADE AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SERVICE IS MADE AVAILABLE FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. YOU ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR CONFIRMING THE ACCURACY OF ALL INFORMATION BEFORE TAKING OR OMITTING ANY ACTION. ALWAYS OBEY PROPERTY LINE POSTINGS AND USE COMMON SENSE IN VISUALLY VERIFYING BOUNDARIES, ROADS AND PATHS. DO NOT USE THE SERVICE FOR ANY PURPOSE REQUIRING PRECISE DIRECTION, DISTANCE OR LOCATION

Interesting enough, we had a surveyor come out and mark our boundries when we purchased the property... Found our neighbor's road (easement on our property) bordering fence approx 10' onto our property. We signed an agreement with them permitting the fence to remain during our ownership. Big or little deal? Meh, just shows, property lines are intended to be as good as modern knowledge permits.

Last edited:
I had to contact onX yesterday about 4 houses built on public according to onX but on private according to the Forest Service. One has a trail head in its front yard. OnX is only as good as the information they pull from their sources.

Back