Yeti GOBOX Collection

Hunt utah

Do you hunt upland/small game? They are a very good way for beginners to learn about hunting. Also, the Anterless Draw in UT is coming up!

PS- General season, especially elk, is tough.
Yeah it's turkey season right now so I'm pretty excited about that. Been out hunting jackrabbits and birds before too. Looking forward to the antlerless draw next month! Public land general season elk is definitely tough!

I think how hard it is depends on if you are hunting Spike Only Units or the Any Bull Units. I feel like the spike only units are very easy to hunt since you are hunting the limited entry units that hold lots and lots of elk but you are just limited to shooting a spike (or a cow if you are archery hunting.) It can be crowded but I feel like every hunt is unless you are willing to put in the miles and get away from the roads. The any bull units are a different story entirely, I have yet to even see an elk on the couple of different any bull units I've hunted and I have spent plenty of time looking! They are there though, I know some guys that have consistently killed elk up in the Uintas and other places and have seen some trail cam pics of bulls that are absolute giants but they usually spend months scouting, hanging cameras, tree stands and such. Randy seems like he doesn't have time to do that sort of scouting and so unless he got very lucky it would most likely be a very boring episode of him just wandering around trying just to find elk. Not going to lie though I would love to see him prove me wrong!
I've never tried the spike only units, might have to give that a shot this year. My general season any bull elk unit experience has been like yours though, never seen any up in the South slope/Yellowstone area, it's just lots of walking and glassing and always very crowded. Orange as far as the eye can see.

I've never tried the spike only units, might have to give that a shot this year. My general season any bull elk unit experience has been like yours though, never seen any up in the South slope/Yellowstone area, it's just lots of walking and glassing and always very crowded. Orange as far as the eye can see.

Yeah I would give it a try! I would recommend going to one of the units you've been putting in for limited entry and hunt that so when you do finally draw you are familiar with that unit and have much better chance of getting a big bull. It does kinda suck that you can only shoot a spike especially when you have encounters with big bulls but at the same time not really because you're still hunting elk and spikes/cows are delicious!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back