Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Hunt Talker 2023 Fitness Goals

I’ve been to that mountain. It’s a good sight, and a good time. I’ve aged since and have paid closer attention. Hunting at 54 is quite a bit different than it was at 40. I’m not any less successful, but I have all of that plus the knowledge it only goes so far. I’d gladly take my 40 year old legs back though.

I freakin did it! Tonight was the night rowed 14k in an hour. Avg 1,170/5min split and grabbed water at 30min, again at 10k. MPH was consistent close to 9mph, stroke rate increased. Arm endurance has noticeably improved. I’ve been doing cover to cover albums for rowing tunes because it’s easier than stopping to flip through music. Tonight was brought to us by the Real McKenzies.

Attachments

• IMG_1262.jpeg
    IMG_1262.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1259.jpeg
    IMG_1259.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1258.jpeg
    IMG_1258.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
Luckily, I’ve done a few endurance events like this before that I 100% did not train enough for so around mile 40 when the cramps started, I knew how to work through them.
Like all the ligaments and tendons in my legs might be torn right now and I can’t get out of the car and I’m not really sure how I’m gonna shower, but I got through the cramps.
8BDA476C-FAD5-4B8C-942A-12CF2A78C6C4.png

I try to do this hike at least once a year - just to remind myself how out of shape I really am. 4100’ vertical in 3.5 miles. Last mile and a half is constant 25-30% pitch almost straight up a narrow ravine. Then last quarter mile is rock scramble on all fours. Going back down is what sucks the worst.

IMG_0699.png

My PSA is now down to .12..................from 420 a year ago.
170-174 lbs.
Been walking around good and able to do some work again. I get sore muscles,so I am gaining muscles to be sore.

Went wood cutting with the MT guys and I tried lifting an 8 ft, 8 inch oak log. Not yet, but I lifted it. They told me to chill. LOL

Yesterday Michael & Kristy, HTers, came by with a new used freezer for me and they said chill. Kristy took the dogs down to the tank and back.They moved it into my house for me. Up ramps and all.
I had cleared out the kitchen some. And I will get it into the corner after I get the gasket glued back on the bottom today and check how it works.
Michael refused payment. So I gave Kristy some bison burger and a fresh elk tender.

I have video chat with my oncologist Mon. & with Pallitive nurse.
Bones were not too sore after wood and 5 days with the guys. Not sore after yesterday either. All the running around.

I have my cow hunt next month, a extra freezer for more meat and plenty of room for bison & cooling down another elk.
New left eye lens coming the 31st.
WI buddy coming in Dec for cow and the last hunt on the ranch for the year.

What a year.
Thanks HT.
I figure I have 19 more left in me.
Bring it on.

I am a dummy, my video chat lacked audio...Dr. mimicked I'll call...PSA numbers continue to drop, overall health excellent.
I am clear to go about daily life and work some, within reason. Don't over do it.
"Nice yard" he said. I was in front in the shade of a pinion.
I answered my own ? about what is going on with tumor. It is sore when I put weight on it and it goes away after I move around ,some. Not when I turn on the hip... Don't turn on the hip.
He said stay positive and I'm on my way to 19 more. I told him my take, the 20 years.
We'll talk again in 3 months. Do not hesitate to call if I have any issues or questions. Anytime.
"Very nice yard,enjoy it" he said.

Waited half hour after time for pallitive nurse and called clinic. Oh. your now scheduled to visit her in Dec.
Training wheels are off.
Up to Rio and I. We had bison burger and watched 1st episode of "American Buffalo" by Ken Burns.
Keep em rollin. The story is not finished.
Either am I.

I try to do this hike at least once a year - just to remind myself how out of shape I really am. 4100’ vertical in 3.5 miles. Last mile and a half is constant 25-30% pitch almost straight up a narrow ravine. Then last quarter mile is rock scramble on all fours. Going back down is what sucks the worst.

View attachment 294680
That is some steep stuff!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back