Hunt Talker 2023 Fitness Goals

Fun experiment I've been running.

For years I used a fitbit, and I feel it greatly overcounted my steps, and thus my calories. For a couple years I've been using a Garmin Instinct, and it counts steps, and gives you a calorie estimate for your day. I wanted to put that to the test...

A tactic I use to stay on the rails is documenting everything I eat. In fact most of the time, planning the whole day's nutrition out. I track my daily caloric intake, and have been juxtaposing it against my theoretic burn as calculated by the Garmin.Calories Consumed and Calories Burned (-10550 Net).png
Since October 2, when I started this, I have averaged 3,034 calories a day in consumption.I have averaged burning 3,280. Over that span, that is a -10550 net.

There are 3,500 calories in a pound, and thus I should have lost 3.08 pounds over that span. But, I weighed myself on October 2, and also today, and I have lost nearly 14 pounds. That's a delta of 38,000 calories, either overestimated in my consumption, undercounted by my watch, or both. That's an error of over -800 calories a day!

Of course there's water and natural variation that could account for some of this, but I weigh myself frequently enough to know that my watch is undercounting my caloric burn. I'm pretty dialed in on caloric intake documentation. So, if I continue to try to stay ahead of my watch, I should continue to lose body fat.

I'll continue to run the experiment. Maybe there was an initial drop or something, and it will even out. Either way, kind of interesting.

For years I used a fitbit, and I feel it greatly overcounted my steps, and thus my calories. For a couple years I've been using a Garmin Instinct, and it counts steps, and gives you a calorie estimate for your day. I wanted to put that to the test...

A tactic I use to stay on the rails is documenting everything I eat. In fact most of the time, planning the whole day's nutrition out. I track my daily caloric intake, and have been juxtaposing it against my theoretic burn as calculated by the Garmin.View attachment 301742
Since October 2, when I started this, I have averaged 3,034 calories a day in consumption.I have averaged burning 3,280. Over that span, that is a -10550 net.

There are 3,500 calories in a pound, and thus I should have lost 3.08 pounds over that span. But, I weighed myself on October 2, and also today, and I have lost nearly 14 pounds. That's a delta of 38,000 calories, either overestimated in my consumption, undercounted by my watch, or both. That's an error of over -800 calories a day!

Of course there's water and natural variation that could account for some oCAREFULLY TRACKf this, but I weigh myself frequently enough to know that my watch is undercounting my caloric burn. I'm pretty dialed in on caloric intake documentation. So, if I continue to try to stay ahead of my watch, I should continue to lose body fat.

I'll continue to run the experiment. Maybe there was an initial drop or something, and it will even out. Either way, kind of interesting.
When I carefully track, I find the 3500cal/# to not be accurate. I also find I need far fewer than 2000cal/day for maintenance unless I am working hard.

David
NM

There are 3,500 calories in a pound, and thus I should have lost 3.08 pounds over that span. But, I weighed myself on October 2, and also today, and I have lost nearly 14 pounds.

Is it possible that through increased fitness and/or other factors such as reduced stress, better sleep etc that your Basal Metabolic Rate has actually increased during this timeframe? That could be one possible explanation, other one like you said is that the watch just isn’t spot on to begin with in terms of calories burned.

Just thinking out loud, interesting.

A tactic I use to stay on the rails is documenting everything I eat. In fact most of the time, planning the whole day's nutrition out. I track my daily caloric intake, and have been juxtaposing it against my theoretic burn as calculated by the Garmin.View attachment 301742

Of course there's water and natural variation that could account for some of this, but I weigh myself frequently enough to know that my watch is undercounting my caloric burn. I'm pretty dialed in on caloric intake documentation. So, if I continue to try to stay ahead of my watch, I should continue to lose body fat.

I like the data. Any updates?

I like the data. Any updates?

Still chugging along. My adult life has been a series of ups and downs with my fitness and weight. It's a weakness. That said, I know what to do, and I know that if I plan and document my meals, it isn't hard for me to lose body fat. I've always lifted/worked out. Since Oct that is what I have been doing.

One month ago I was down 14 pounds, and I am currently down 19. I could stand to lose 50+, and admit that the fact that I will be 40 next year is a motivator. I do expect the rate to slow a bit now that hunting season is over but I am still crossfitting 3-4 times a week. I've come to think that the calculator I used for my resting metabolic rate, which was calculated at 2454 calories, was a bit low. I'd wager it to be closer to 2700 calories. I also may be overcounting my caloric intake, but only a tiny bit. At the end of every day I round up to the nearest hundred. Other than that, when my watch calculates the additional calories based on Activity, I think it is undercounting those additional calories a bit.
Screenshot 2023-12-13 at 9.07.57 AM.jpg

1702483999600.png

I don't know. It has been fun.

Attachments

• 1702483548390.png
    1702483548390.png
    103.9 KB · Views: 2
I see enthusiasm for this thread has waned. Got a wild hair and took the MTB for a 25 mile trip to Boulder City. I need a road bike.
My fitness goals for the year were modeled after someone else I saw in this thread. 20,000 pushups and body weight squats, hike 600 miles, and weigh 190 lbs. I passed the 20,000 mark for both pushups and squats at the end of November. The mileage goal I am nowhere near complete on, hopefully, get to 400 for the year. The weight goal, I am around 207, but my body fat % has gone down. I feel like if I turn my body just right, with light at just the perfect angle, I can almost see an ab.

I've been thinking about goals for 2024. I will be 40 in August. My goals are to switch from short-term success to things that will help me hunt and be active until I'm in my 70s. Flexibility is high on my list of things to improve in 2024.

If I could just lay off the sweets my weight would drop like a stone just by walking 3-5 miles/day. Down from 225 to 210. Breaking 200 is going to be huge for me. Big psychological boost there. Will get on the rower later it's always good, sort of NEPA, but not.

Broke my wrist end of July in 2022, so was not very active through the end of last year.

I decided I would start a new pushup regiment in 2023. Started with 100 pushups/day (average) in Jan, 125 Feb, 150 March, 175 April, and 200/month rest of year. I have been able to stay with it and 59,300 through November. A little ahead of schedule for December, so shouldn't be an issue. I will go for full 200 per day in 2024.

Lifted at the gym 189 days through November and even though Dec is difficult, shouldn't be an issue hitting 200 days. One of my side goals was to flat bench 315 on my 55th bday, but I was in AK. I did pull it off a week before I left, so officially at 54. Guess I still have to fulfill the 55yo goal.

Wish I could include running miles/year, but I think my knees and ankles wouldn't last very long. Just low impact cardio at the gym.

All-in-all, pretty happy about my physical shape for a 55 yo dude who still likes to have some pints and whisky.

I love all the fitness goals for 2024. Let's go!

At 41 I want to keep active for my wife and my boys (12 and 9). Got to set a good example right? I want to stay competitive with the young guns roping calves at the NRA rodeos. I am also going to try and get into a 100-miler in Colorado in July. Speed, power, and endurance will be my themes for 2024!

Keep charging ahead everyone!

Completed a half Iron Man last week so fitness is currently good. Been eating non stop for 5 days and resting but dropping weight which has been interesting.

I'll carry my current fitness through summer and fall hunting (its the beginning of summer here).

My 2024 goal is to keep active and complete a couple of trial running races and train for another Coast to Coast race which is run, bike and kayak across New Zealand.

resigned to running on the treadmill. 80's country has been a savior, I can at least make it into that 3-5 mile range before I mentally tap out. I stopped weighing myself, I think I was too focused on it. Plan is still first marathon at 40 this next fall.

This has been my most consistent year with staying on a training program. Dropped almost 6 inches in my waist, scale says 30-35lbs and have never been stronger. I have started doing 2 a days at the gym mon-friday. Mornings are 30 mins on the treadmill 18% incline and averaging 3.7-4.2 MPH. Every 5 minutes i stop do 35 pushups and continue on. Equates to 1,050 pushups a week and almost 10 miles. I weight train in the evenings 5-6 days a week. Slowly started getting back into heavier lifts would love to hit 405 on the bench press beginning of this year. Been tough to try and lose weight and go up in my lifts i may need to pick one or the other.

Last edited:
I dropped the running/hiking miles significantly after hunting season wrapped up, it looks like I'll wrap up the year with about 600 miles on foot and 165K of elevation gain in the woods, down a bit from my average since I've been tracking it, guess sitting out most of August waiting on plantar fasciitis to ease up took a toll...
I'm currently lifting weights 4X a week in an effort to improve my standings on the competitive ice climbing scene, have managed to gain close to 5 lbs, no easy task at 6' 160 lbs- still hilariously weak compared to some/most on here...

First, those monitors are abysmal at accurately estimating caloric expenditure from exercise. By abysmal, I mean 50-100% error or more. Second, 3500 cal/lb of body fat, that is fact. Weight loss is way more complicated because body water is so variable. Also remember that body water is going to fluctuate not only with hydration, but also with glycogen stores in muscle. Glycogen stores water at a ~ 3:1 rate, 3g of water per 1g of glycogen. So, heavily deplete glycogen (hard training, fasting, long term diet) you are going to lose a ton of water weight.

Smart weight loss is slow, like 1-2 lbs per month. And, IMO, you have got to be strength training while losing weight, or you will lose lean tissue, lowering your metabolic capabilities more.

First, those monitors are abysmal at accurately estimating caloric expenditure from exercise. By abysmal, I mean 50-100% error or more. Second, 3500 cal/lb of body fat, that is fact. Weight loss is way more complicated because body water is so variable. Also remember that body water is going to fluctuate not only with hydration, but also with glycogen stores in muscle. Glycogen stores water at a ~ 3:1 rate, 3g of water per 1g of glycogen. So, heavily deplete glycogen (hard training, fasting, long term diet) you are going to lose a ton of water weight.

Smart weight loss is slow, like 1-2 lbs per month. And, IMO, you have got to be strength training while losing weight, or you will lose lean tissue, lowering your metabolic capabilities more.
Some people like myself can’t lose an ounce of weight while weight training. Doesn’t matter if it’s high reps low weights, big weights, low reps, whatever. People like me just get hungry and stay hungry all the time which is not doable for the long-term. What I found that does work is if I do low impact low and slow things like walking, riding a bike hiking etc. Rowing works too. With these tools I can lose weight well not getting ravenously hungry.

missed my goals on peaks this summer (3/5). oh well.

time to start thinking about next years goals. next years primary goal is to really stick to my usual dietary plans - whole foods. pretty basic plan overall. generally we're good at that, but i do have a tendency to go off the rails.

i think my weight goal was to not breach 190? can't remember. that was met. for me gaining weight is only a function of whether or not i'm weight lifting, and i've done little of that this year, staying steady at 180, which is overall pretty skinny at my height.

end of hunting season means more weight lifting and less running and stair climbing. I do enjoy feeling strong, but hate the weight that comes with it. will taper off as spring rolls around, per usual and get back to cardio and squats only.

@Nameless Range love your data keeping. i've been keeping pretty close tabs on my weight for a few years now. just more as a scientific exercise, i really couldn't give two shits what i weigh, only that for running, hiking, backpacking, hunting, and so on, i don't like to put on too much muscle weight.

i was interested in seeing trends on what time of day i weighed most and least, curious if there would be trends on what day of the week i weighed most, and definitely curious about variability over the course of a day or two.

my variability over the course of a day, or even sometimes within one day, will be up to 10lbs. i often weighed myself twice a day, during covid i was weighing myself upwards of 4 times a day, simply for the for the sake of scientific curiousity. always naked, always writing down time and date, never after a shower. it's interesting data. i've not been keeping up in the past couple months.

interestingly, the lowest i've weighed in the last few years was several weeks after my baby was born, last october at 173.9.

overall, i was doing a lot more weight lifting right before covid hit and have been on a general down trend ever since. i was in the weight room a little more this spring too. the rhythmic weight gain in winter is mostly dominated by the weight lifting that occurs once hunting season ends, which didn't happen much with last year being the first winter with a newborn and a tag that extended to end of january.

1702497019924.png

Last edited:
Broke my wrist end of July in 2022, so was not very active through the end of last year.

I decided I would start a new pushup regiment in 2023. Started with 100 pushups/day (average) in Jan, 125 Feb, 150 March, 175 April, and 200/month rest of year. I have been able to stay with it and 59,300 through November. A little ahead of schedule for December, so shouldn't be an issue. I will go for full 200 per day in 2024.

Lifted at the gym 189 days through November and even though Dec is difficult, shouldn't be an issue hitting 200 days. One of my side goals was to flat bench 315 on my 55th bday, but I was in AK. I did pull it off a week before I left, so officially at 54. Guess I still have to fulfill the 55yo goal.

Wish I could include running miles/year, but I think my knees and ankles wouldn't last very long. Just low impact cardio at the gym.

All-in-all, pretty happy about my physical shape for a 55 yo dude who still likes to have some pints and whisky.
Could you make the rest of us mortals feel worse? Jeez Miller you're kicking old man time's ass.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back