Huge improvement to cooking ground meat (credit to MeatEater)

daltrix99

On a recent MeatEater podcast (episode 190), the crew discusses a better way to brown and cook burger. Give the episode a listen for yourself (it's all good), but I'll summarize what I took from it and how great it has worked out for me. I've done it now with Black Bear chorizo and Elk burger. In the pod they go into more detail!

1. Let the burger come to room temperature before cooking
2. Dry both sides of the meat with a paper towel
3. Put a decent amount of salt on both sides
4. Get your pan going to medium-high heat; not a searing temp. Once the pan is hot, add your cooking oil (I cook with olive oil)
5. Flatten your burger out into one large patty, not breaking it up
6. Cook both sides of the patty, getting a good crisp going on both sides
7. Break up the patty and move on with your recipe, whatever it is you're using the burger for.

I have noticed an immediate improvement to the texture and flavor of my burger. This process gives a wonderful subtle crisp to the burger meat, and seems to me to seal a lot of flavor in the meat.

Has anyone else been preparing burger like this? Thoughts/criticisms? I don't think I'll ever do it another way!

Sweet. I've occasionally kind of done that but will for sure give this a try just like you said. Thanks for posting.

Totally agree. I also like to add a few things to the burger (onion, spices, maybe an egg) prior to cooking as it really adds additional flavor, of which I have a real addiction.

On a recent MeatEater podcast (episode 190), the crew discusses a better way to brown and cook burger. Give the episode a listen for yourself (it's all good), but I'll summarize what I took from it and how great it has worked out for me. I've done it now with Black Bear chorizo and Elk burger. In the pod they go into more detail!

1. Let the burger come to room temperature before cooking
2. Dry both sides of the meat with a paper towel
3. Put a decent amount of salt on both sides
4. Get your pan going to medium-high heat; not a searing temp. Once the pan is hot, add your cooking oil (I cook with olive oil)
5. Flatten your burger out into one large patty, not breaking it up
6. Cook both sides of the patty, getting a good crisp going on both sides
7. Break up the patty and move on with your recipe, whatever it is you're using the burger for.

I have noticed an immediate improvement to the texture and flavor of my burger. This process gives a wonderful subtle crisp to the burger meat, and seems to me to seal a lot of flavor in the meat.

Has anyone else been preparing burger like this? Thoughts/criticisms? I don't think I'll ever do it another way!

I've always broken it up and stirred til brown right off the bat...I can see how this method could be better tasting, thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back