How's your fire season going?

Being a San Diego native I grew up watching fire eat the hills of Southern California. Here in South Carolina fire is mostly a non-event. The Forest Service does a good job with planned burns, and our rainy season corresponds with summer.

I feel for my California brothers and sisters. Forest service hampered by green idiots who don't seem to be able to comprehend that forests either burn regularly or explode into a conflagration if let go too long. Also health of trees suffers terribly, with rampant disease and beetle infestation.
Screenshot_20200822-163924_Chrome.jpg

It's definitely a bad year here in California. It seems like every year is followed by a worse one. I've spent the last month going from fire to fire... and there is currently no end in sight. I'll be lucky if I could still get away for a few weeks in September for my CO and MT elk hunt.
As for my local deer hunt, I spent 2 weeks on a fire in the very area I hunt every October. It was kind of bittersweet. The area has (had) no recorded burn history, and the forest really needed to be cleaned up. The brush was just insane. The growth added to the beauty of the area though.. and it kept most people from trying to get into it to hunt. It's all burned up now, so I'm not sure what the future holds?

We don't have fires in Vegas, but the smoke from CA? Wow, driving through the valley the other day I was thinking the scene looked pretty apocalyptic. What with the smoke and all the other BS going right now it was creepy.

I feel for the areas dealing with fires. Somehow Montana is relatively quiet this year. mtmuley

I just spoke to an old friend who just lost there family ranch/ vineyard main house built in the 1930’s and 5 other structures. Another friend running his fire Cat D6 got over run by fire had to drop his fire curtains to get back to his transport only to find it burned! Very sad

Lots of black dirt near the lower Flathead river but no smoke. Dug gold this weekend in a place that burned three years ago. The elk are really using my mine trail for water access. I'm guess I have 2-4 years before all the burned trees start to fall. Then it will be an extensive sawing project.

Butte is socked in with smoke. The hints are that it is California smoke.Lot's of Califonia plates on I-90 this weekend.

Got one going in the Bitterroot on the ridge north and west of Como Lake. Its warm and windy this afternoon and a number of helicopters and planes are working on it.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back