Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

HOWA 270 Win Replacement - Ugh!

I have always been intrigued by those MDT stocks. I almost put my 6.5 CTR in one before I sold it. If I come into another CTR in 308 I most likely will. Good choices.

I have always been intrigued by those MDT stocks. I almost put my 6.5 CTR in one before I sold it. If I come into another CTR in 308 I most likely will. Good choices.
The thing I like about the stock the most is the adjust-ability. Although I have not shot it, just pulling it up into a shooting position just feels like it is an extension of your body. I also love my Magpul Hunter stock. Makes shooting more comfortable and makes me much more accurate.

Oh, and have decided just to shoot the 6.5 PRC and not sell it immediately. Just to see if I like it. Been a month now and they are still "building" it. Even with their products being good, from feedback, the customer service has been absolutely horrible.

That's how my M70 7mm Rem Mag earned first position in the safe. It was supposed to be a donor action for a project.
I had never wanted a 7 Mag.
It is a debate I am having with myself to just try it or not. I need to get with the gun dealer I am selling it to and see what the delta is between a new and used rifle. But, the way HOWA is going, I may not get the rifle until next year.

Well, the rifle replacement saga continued this week. I have not heard anything in over a month. I called and Legacy said they had e-mailed me twice for my FFL, which was already provided. The e-mail address they used was missing a character, so I never received them. Sent the rifle to them in January, so it has been over 6 months.
I was told they no longer had any 6.5 PRCs in stock and they would be "checking into it." I e-mailed the VP again along with customer service. I got a call back about 30 min later and they are sending me a 6.5 PRC carbon barrel 1500 as a replacement. They sent me the ticket showing the VP got involved. This could have been an option from the beginning to make sure customers are taken care of without having to complain to management.
Still can't use the stock or the custom muzzle brake I bought as it was for a sporter, but I reckon I am coming out a little better off. I will see if I can sell those to someone else who wants a stock upgrade for a HOWA long action sporter. Or, maybe buy a long action from Brownells and drop it into the stock. IDK.

Is that a heavy barrel T3?
I do understand your love for the ol' 270 Winchester, it was my first deer rifle (Ruger M77) and I still have a warm spot in my heart for it. Enjoy.

Last edited:
It was a standard barrel. Rifle ended up being too heavy to hunt with. I sold it. I am staying with the 308 and lower calibers. My condition has worsened since this post and I cannot shoot anything with significant recoil. I just bought a 20 gauge Beretta A300 to bird and duck hunt with and it's about my limit to comfortably shoot. I have several 12 gauge shotguns in the safe that have never even had a shot fired through them.

Sorry to hear that Sir, keep well and keep shooting.
BTW the 7mm-08 is a gentle one to shoot. The most overlooked cause of perceived recoil is the LOP (length of pull) in most cases it is a little short and that amplifies the felt recoil.
(y)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back