How to hunt this time frame Oct 8-16

Majja

Ok guys for those of you that are a lot more knowledge able would you consider this time frame rut or post rut. I will be hunting the general season any bull and will be on the North Slope (unit in Utah's Uinta Mountains).

I get about 10 days so I am blessed as I have some time.

Majja

North Slope Uinta's Mountains Utah

Last edited:
My assumptions:
Alaska,
Moose,
I am always told the rut runs the middle of Sept as a norm. Since you are further North than where I have hunted I would guess the rut runs a few days ahead of that. I would hunt post rut with perhaps a few cows coming around the second time because they did not take the first mating.

Sorry I did not clarify the North Slope is the unit in Utah. I wish I could go to Alaska to hunt for 10 days.

Based on my experience in Idaho and Montana (having never hunted Utah) I would put this at the very tail end of the rut. I would not be shocked to find bugling and rutting activity, but would not expect a lot of it. I think larger bulls will be pulling away from cows and looking for resting cover and some younger bulls will still be hoping to get lucky with the cows. It's a beautiful time to be in the mountains, but can be a challenging time to find a bull. But I would be interested to hear what folks in Utah think...

I agree with Ben. I think for the most part the big bulls will be done and starting to find their reclusive sanctuaries. You'll mostly find raghorns and spikes with the cows. I've seen some very intense rutting activity that first week of October.

Lots of elk action the first two weeks of October here in SW Montana. We've seen our biggest bulls during that time. Still plenty active with cows too. They just don't really bugle here very much at all, anytime.

I hunted Oct 10-14 last fall in unit 45 of NM with Muzzleloader. Bulls were still bugling. We ran into some cowboys up herding cows in the wilderness and they said the bulls were bugling their heads off the 7-9. We had one bull bugling for 2 hours on the 10th and another bugled 4-5 times in 3 hours on the 11th. The bull I came walking fast into the cow call and after I shot, a bigger bull came down the mountain to investigate.

Thanks for all the info, and please keep it coming. Yes this is a rifle hunt. The crappy thing here in Utah is that the animals see pressure starting at the end of Aug and it does not let up until Nov. IT can either be a Archery Deer and Elk. followed my Muzzle Loader Deer and then into the general season rifle hunt, and last year the state had a high country buck deer rifle hunt open in a lot of elk units so that made it even that much more crowded.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back