Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

How to Carry Camera in Back Country

JFish

I recently acquired a Sony A6000, and was wondering what the best way to carry and protect it would be while backpack hunting. I looked at the Outdoor Research padded cells, but from the picture they looked like an old school lunch bag that kids use and didn’t look that protective for the money. Anyone have a preferred method for storing and carrying a digital camera while on a trip? Maybe a tube sock will suffice?

I use LensCoat neoprene covers for my camera body and lenses when I can’t take a whole camera bag. Have used those to take my gear in my backpack through all kinds of day trips plus two trips through Central America without any trouble.

I use LensCoat neoprene covers for my camera body and lenses when I can’t take a whole camera bag. Have used those to take my gear in my backpack through all kinds of day trips plus two trips through Central America without any trouble.
what camera do you use? your pics always turn out so well.
I am looking to upgrade

what camera do you use? your pics always turn out so well.
I am looking to upgrade

Better question for @mtmiller. Honestly, almost everything I post here is on my phone these days. Fine for little prints and online but not taking any wall hangers with it. I can’t lug my camera around when I’m working, and I just don’t lug it around when I’m hunting. Too lazy 😊

I keep telling myself sometime I should leave the gun and just take the camera when I go with other people. But that leaving the gun part is hard!

I just use a neoprene cover as well but I would like to try one of the backpack clip designs

I've tried the peak design clip. It worked good for carrying my DSLR, but I just didn't like having my camera being constantly pulled through the brush. I did end up losing a lens cap, but the lens wasn't scratched. If you're in more open country without the brush to worry about, I think it's great. I had it on my pack hip. If I would've had it on the shoulder strap, that would've mitigated some of the brush concern, but it wasn't as comfortable for me there. All that said, I've just determined that the DSLR is too big for me to be lugging around while hunting, and I've since bought a better point-and-shoot (Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70) that I take along on my hunts. For this, I just use a little pelican case that fits in a hip pocket on my pack.

I have been using a RUC PAC 2 cameral sling. It's probably not as good as Cotton Carrier but it was on sale at B&H during a daily deal.
Better question for @mtmiller. Honestly, almost everything I post here is on my phone these days. Fine for little prints and online but not taking any wall hangers with it. I can’t lug my camera around when I’m working, and I just don’t lug it around when I’m hunting. Too lazy 😊

I keep telling myself sometime I should leave the gun and just take the camera when I go with other people. But that leaving the gun part is hard!
IIRC, @mtmiller uses a Nikon D850/500 f/4 combo often.

I've looked for a camera for years to carry along bird hunting. Film SLR's and DSLR's are all just to bulky. Most the poit and shoot's I'v tried have been either to bulky or fragile. Got a Nikon a few years ago that worked very nice but the zoom fell apart, couldn't zoom it. Recently I got a Canon that feel's like it was made to haul around with me. SX730HS is the model number. Metal case and take's awful good photo's and rides in a pouch on my belt. Got some of one of my dog's pointing yesterday and ran them into my printer. It tells me if the photo is any good at the point I try to blow it up. according to the printr making a 13x19 was gonna get me a really good photo, even cropped out as I did. Got it cropped out and enlarged it 100% and got a clear eye on the dog, I was impressed. here's the photo.

zI7yy5Dl.jpg

I need a camera that will let me blow up photo's pretty good as I like doing that. Not a lot of room on the walls of my house!

For those of you who use either the Cotton Carrier or the Peak Design for carrying cameras what is the pros and cons of what you are using?

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back