How tall a boot?

Toofdoc

What height of boot do people like to use out west? Will be archery elk hunting in September and pronghorn gun hunting early October. Thinking non insulated. Lot of 10 inch boots seem to come up on sale searches.

6-8" early season gets my vote, once snow hits that changes
+1

8" un-insulated early on. Then I go to 14" pac boots when it gets cold and wet. I do not use gaitors.

Choose something soon and wear them as much as you can, as soon as you can. They need be totally broken in before you hit the trailhead.

For archery season I'll go with a mid height (6-7 inch) if not backpacking in, and bring taller ones in the truck that I can switch to on the first trip out if I end up with a hard pack out that's multiple trips. I like the lighter weight boots for stalking around without a heavy load.

I wear Cripsi Thor's and love them, they are 7" tall and uninsulated. I typically wear gaiters with them just to keep plant material out.

About 3"; salomon x ultra low, I also use some Oboz mids which are maybe 5-6".

Just picked up a set of x ultras for this year. Have been using Saucony ISO's the past couple years but feel they are a bit too flexible. Ever since I jumped off the whole high top ankle support idea my feet have been happy, happy, happy.

Anyone run something taller like the Schnee's Hunter II 13" or 16"? We have Timber Rattlesnakes in the Catskills - am I nuts for thinkin a taller boot might offer some protection?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back