MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

How should I layer?

wade0731

Hello all!

I am hunting in the midwest (Northern Missouri). You never know what the temps will be here it could be 50 in November or 10...
Last year it was pretty cold so I am preparing for the cold. Here is what I have so far and looking for some recommendations.

Base layer: Lightweight Merino boxers, lightweight merino long johns and lightweight merino long sleeve-should I get synthetic polyester instead?
Mid layer: Heavyweight Merino zip up for a shirt and 600 fill weight scent lock pants.
Insulation layer: Cabela's 600 fill weight Puffy jacket
Socks: Midweight merino socks-Should I go polyester instead?
Boots: Mucks Wetland
Hat: Merino beanie

Looking to add some good bibs and a shell possibly. What would you add or take away from this?

Report Edit

I think all that would be fine. I am assuming this is mainly for treestand style hunting.

Mainly, you just want to avoid sweating on the way in, and then have enough layers to keep warm once you get there. Walk in in your base layers if you need to, and put the other layers on in the tree as you need them. High quality clothing might mean less bulk, but you can achieve the same comfort with cotton and carhartt when you're just sitting still.

I have merino wool base layers and a few other higher end clothing pieces for my more active hunts, but the majority of the time here in the midwest I wear old hand-me-downs and Wal-Mart specials.

I'm in New England, in a tree, hanging from a saddle. I just posted this in another thread. I think of layering for hunting just like skiing. I almost wear your exact setup. I walk in with just my base layers most of the time because I am hiking in a mile or so. I think layering is the best, especially when the morning starts at 25, and in three hours it can be 50. Better yet, it is a nice afternoon 50 degree hunt then the wind kicks in and the sun begins to set. Sitting in a tree can get rough :)

I agree about the shell and Bibs(also a shell). That is my camo.

Pete

Light, moisture wicking body protection
Standard wool
Basic wind protection
Heavy outer shell

I think about layer based on activity. Also I might be an extra sweaty guy or get cold easy but if I plan on a dark to dark sit i'll hike in, in plain cotton socks then a grocery bag for a liner. Plus just a t-shirt. That all comes off when finally on location. Put on my good layers then. If I still get a chill, then my Sitka Kelvin set goes on an use hotfeet/hand pacs. Stalking an hiking I may still bring my puffys but light weight unders. I like to use packable shells for rain or wind.
Million options out there. Good luck.

Depends on the person. I don't get cold that easy so I can usually wear a base layer top and a thin base layer bottom merino wool set and be in good shape while moving to where I need to go. Then I throw my outer layer jacket over top that and don't put anything else on unless I'm getting cold. I also have a thick cabelas 3-1 coat and bibs for stationary hunting out of a tree stand or along a field. I used to always wear under armour cold gear and I would be roasting by the time I got to my hunting spot which was usually on a hill at the base of the mountain. I use merino wool now and it is night and day difference between being sweaty and freezing to damp and warming up as the sweat evaporates. I would like to purchase the sitka base layers for a next to skin light layer option. Grant it all of this gear is expensive and my money tree I planted hasn't seemed to sprout yet, so it's taking a little bit to obtain new gear. :( Get what you can afford or want to set aside money for to save up.

Base layers: First lite kiln top/bottom
Mid layer: Badlands Drive jacket/Ion Pants
Insulation: North Face tka 100 (would like to purchase a puffy or the sitka traverse hoody)
Socks: Merino wool (smartwool, Costco, etc)

Back