Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Question on proper layering

wade0731

Hello all!

I am hunting in the midwest (Northern Missouri). You never know what the temps will be here it could be 50 in November or 10...
Last year it was pretty cold so I am preparing for the cold. Here is what I have so far and looking for some recommendations.

Base layer: Lightweight Merino boxers, lightweight merino long johns and lightweight merino long sleeve-should I get synthetic polyester instead?
Mid layer: Heavyweight Merino zip up for a shirt and 600 fill weight scent lock pants.
Insulation layer: Cabela's 600 fill weight Puffy jacket
Socks: Midweight merino socks-Should I go polyester instead?
Boots: Mucks Wetland
Hat: Merino beanie

Looking to add some good bibs and a shell possibly. What would you add or take away from this?

Next to skin I’m a pretty big fan of military “waffles” when it gets cold. I’d probably suggest a warmer hat too, unless you have a hood at your disposal.

Hunting in Michigan years ago, I would hike in with very little, cool down then put on my warmer pants and jacket. If your moving, I personally would be to hot.

I prefer to separate the outer layer and the insulating layer since I’m hot way more than I’m cold. Something like the Sitka Jetstream or Mountain is a great outer layer - Light, durable, wind proof, water proof and breathable. That with a good merino base and mid layer keeps me comfortable down into the teens. If it’s colder than that or I’m sitting for a long time, then I’ll add a mid weight puffy vest under it.

Last edited:
Generally speaking synthetics are warmer than merino but they don’t get as stinky. I use merino base layers and then synthetic mid layers.

I like the thick smart wool socks for cold days when I’m not moving a ton.

I used to sit treestands in Wisconsin with 400 grams of wool till I invested some micro check fleece. Now I only use merino as a base layer and have 5 or 6 different fleece options. I've spent a lot more than I ought to on clothes and gear in the past decade. Don't tell my wife, please.

If you are tree stand sitting, don't forget bringing in a pair of boot blankets ( can't remember what mine are called).... Get to the stand, strap in, put on the boot blankets and your feet will stay warm for most of the day if doing an all day sit.

I lived in Kansas City for almost 4 years and I think every rifle opener I was in a t shirt by 10am it was so dang hot.

Boots: Mucks Wetland

Build a fire and burn those boots unless you hunt swamps. Rubber boots are not your friend as can’t be snugged to your feet when are walking. Do you get blisters or hot spots on hunts? Rubber is also not as warm as leather. Leather can stay dry if properly waterproof a quality boot. Look at upland-style hunting boots. I wear mountain boots out West and in the Midwest but upland boots are better for mild terrain.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back