MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

How old is this headstamp?

I found this piece of .50 BMG brass while I sat down to pick out cactus spines hunting antelope this year. It’s scratched from being in a belt. According to a local landowner, this area was used for fighter training during WW2, and it likely came out of a P-51.

ACA3014D-6E21-4CE1-9A92-A03CA37BB352.jpeg

I have a .25-35 case I found on top of the mountain between Kootenai and Bass Creek in the Root. I'll try to find it and post a pic. mtmuley

Found a 30-40 Krag in some rocks in Colorado one time. Thought looked like a good place to see an elk. Got to looking around and seen it. It was really tarnished and I wonder how long it was there and if who ever fired it if they took an elk or mule deer. Hopefully it’s still up there that’s been 23 years ago

View attachment 171331
Found it on the mountain where I elk hunt. mtmuley
Did you clean it up? It doesn't look too weathered.

No idea how old it is, but I love finding old bullet casings like that. I play a game where I try to guess the cartridge before I look at the head stamp. Also fun to wonder what they may have been shooting at, and did they kill anything.

Great finds , it makes you wonder if the hunter who fired the shot was successful?

Did you clean it up? It doesn't look too weathered.

No idea how old it is, but I love finding old bullet casings like that. I play a game where I try to guess the cartridge before I look at the head stamp. Also fun to wonder what they may have been shooting at, and did they kill anything.
I had it in my stainless tumbler for a couple hours. mtmuley

My dad had a 1895 Winchester rifle that was stamped 30 US Govt. I never saw that head stamp though. Google says super x came out in 1922.

I am gonna say that its older than my Winchester Super Grade Model 70 stamped 30-GOVT-06? I think the rifle was made in 1936 or 37

Back