Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

How not to cape a deer

Whiskers

A taxidermist frined of mine received a call from a potential client asking how he should go about caping a deer for a mount. Rich explained it, and the guy dropped this off.
hownot.jpg

hownot2.jpg

Better title...how to get a wanton waste ticket.

Surprised your buddy accepted something like that.

whats wasted? Its not in the trash. :D

So for you guys that have birds mounted. What happens to the meat off them? I take it you don't skin them out.

Goes to the taxidermist frozen I pick up the meat after the taxidermist has skinned the bird...well...as far as you know.:D Actually I don't have birds to the tax man, but I have wondered the same thing.

This deer situation appears to be an obvious violation, I think you would agree...yes?

Goes to the taxidermist frozen I pick up the meat after the taxidermist has skinned the bird
thats probably whats going on here also.
i just bring my taxidermist a bag of feathers. he attaches each one individually to the form...it's takes quite some time to get a mount back from him but its worth the wait.

Bambistew said:
So for you guys that have birds mounted. What happens to the meat off them? I take it you don't skin them out.

Actually Most of the Time my birds go in de-breasted. Thats all thats required on a duck anyways. nothing hard about making a 6" slit up the belly and pealing it out without disturbing any feathers. When I was up in AK, I actually took the breat meat off of the birds and we cooked them up to try. Eatible, but still was a duck :p

Usually the birds going into the taxidermist shouldn't be cut by the hunter. If you see how some people cape a Deer, (This post an example) you wouldn't let them close to a duck or goose that needs breasting :)

I found out from Fish and Game that as long as you utilize the Duck meat or bear meat, you don't have anythnig to worry about. One year we took a bear out, cooked it up, and brought it into a pig farmer. F&G gave us the Kudos. Their big stance is not shooting things and leaving it in the hills to keep lazy hunters from packing out the meat. You can feed it to the dogs too if ya like.

On Ducks the question is, what do people do with the meat when they don't take it in the Taxidermist ;)

Moosie said:
On Ducks the question is, what do people do with the meat when they don't take it in the Taxidermist ;)

Jerky...yem, yem. Actually this year I was given a recipe and after making a few minor adjustment, it was awesome. I have probably eaten 15 - 20 ducks with this recipe and loved them. 'course I ain't shooting coot and golden-eyes.;)

OMG!! I can only imagine what some of those taxi's see and go through every year. I can't believe he accepted that either. Amazing! |oo

Moosie said:
You can feed it to the dogs too if ya like.

It seems like that's what I did with the last few ducks I shot, which was several years ago. I tried cooking/eating it, took 1 bite, and immediately called the dog over. :D Probably just the way I cooked it though.

Muleyslyr said:
I can't believe he accepted that either. Amazing! |oo

I don't see why the Taxidermist wouldn't accept it ? He jsut needs to Cape it for the guy and Mount his deer. I don't think the Taxidermist should be held responsible on how a Guy takes care of his meat ?

You could take that "caped out deer" there and freeze dry it and just hang it up!

mtmiller said:
Jerky...yem, yem. Actually this year I was given a recipe and after making a few minor adjustment, it was awesome. I have probably eaten 15 - 20 ducks with this recipe and loved them. 'course I ain't shooting coot and golden-eyes.;)

AWESOME? Are you sure about that? I have noticed that for every 200 guys that care to comment on the taste of duck, at least 199 of them will declare it as all but inedible. But that last guy invariably tries to convince anyone who cares to listen that his recipe produces duck that tastes like veal cutlets.

I'm not buying it and you shouldn't be selling it because a duck is a duck is a duck and they all taste like chit!

Canoe said:
AWESOME? Are you sure about that? I have noticed that for every 200 guys that care to comment on the taste of duck, at least 199 of them will declare it as all but inedible. But that last guy invariably tries to convince anyone who cares to listen that his recipe produces duck that tastes like veal cutlets.

I'm not buying it and you shouldn't be selling it because a duck is a duck is a duck and they all taste like chit!

Fair enough. Come over here and I will cook you a ducky dinner...maybe even show you how to kill more than a "nasty" diver.

'Course it you don't buy into that, quit killing critters you don't enjoy eating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otto247
Back