How not to cape a deer

mtmiller said:
'Course it you don't buy into that, quit killing critters you don't enjoy eating.

My decoys haven't been wet in probably 4 years. When I had to put my lab down I just sort of lost interest in shooting birds that I really didn't care to eat.

BTW, that lab of yours sure is a stud. Congrats on the book cover.

I usually bone-out all my ducks, dove & quail & than when I get a big game animal, (Javelina, deer or elk), I make the best cuts into steaks & take the rest in to a sausage maker here in AZ. I get brats, kielbasa, polish, itialian, slim jims & summer sausage made. It's a great way to use up a season worth of birds.
For a long time I did like MTmiller did & made jerky out of them too, they were good that way as well, but honestly, everyone likes summer sausage, Take Care, JLG.

How is this any diff. then a guy bringing in a elk that had to be cut in half to get out. I get deer in every year that I cape out. I tell my customers that I would rather do the caping then let them do it. less time on the fleshing beam for me because I take my time. If you let them do it you are going to get a cape back with more fat and meat on it then hide.
And PS I dont charge to cape out anything because it makes less work for me.
As long as he gets his meat back I dont think he did anything wrong...

My taxidermist has finished the caping for me on several occassions, but that means, to me, that the straps, front quarters and 90% of the neck meat has been removed by me. It ain't brain surgery.

Cathunt, you mention as long as he gets his meat you see no problem. Sounds good, but my taxidermist doesn't have a freezer to store my "1/2 deer" until he can get to it and I don't expect him to do the caping as soon as I show up. Guess that is not the case for everyone.

'Course it you don't buy into that, quit killing critters you don't enjoy eating.

I enjoy hunting. Being forced to eat what I kill should be a part of that. I agree that removing the edible portins from the field should be a law, but what I do with them when I get home is my business.

Have to go with miller on this one, I've taken big game to my taxi to "finish" caping on many occassions but whats left is basically just skinning out the skull as everything from there back (of the very base of the neck) has been done. With the kind of volume brought to him each season my taxi would need a half dozen full time guys caping and fleshing and a freezer the size of his entire building to "keep meat"....plus I can imagine how lovely that meat is going to taste :eek:

Miller I think you are right but some guys just do not know how to do it. You know how long it takes to cape out a deer to the ears, Why cant your taxidermist do it when you bring it in.
I just think you all think this guy is not taking care of the meat maybe he is cutting up the back end to get in the freezer and he is coming back to get the rest from the taxidermist later that day. not that big of a deal

If I shoot a deer that I want mounted, I take it straight to my friendly taxidermist. Sandy Sylvester, she helps me skin it. That way she knows it was done right, no knife cuts in the hide, or excess meat and fat. Then I take the carcass home and butcher it. She doesn't charge any extra, but I think ol Rich the guy that sent me that pic does.

Cathunt MT said:
Miller I think you are right but some guys just do not know how to do it. You know how long it takes to cape out a deer to the ears, Why cant your taxidermist do it when you bring it in.

Fair enough, I don't know my taxidermist well enought to ask him to walk away from a project to complete something I can do on my own. I will respect your opinion on the subject, since it is something you do for a living.

and as for the duck thing...deep fried, wing sauce, many beers, ranch dressing...you can serve ANYTHING that way, even VEGETABLES

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
See65
Back