How Much Is To Much ?

Bill M

Where do you draw a line on guided hunt prices ? For me it's always been around the six grand figure.

Never had to draw that line. There is just to many good places that a guy can go on his own for free.

Depending on references, services, area, I'd guess 3.5-5 grand for me. Realizing hunt guiding is a business...subject to inflation and (the ultimate value guage) demand, I'm sure I'll stay behind the rate curve.

Have only been on a few and that's usually been in conjuction/started with some sort of fundraiser that has had ample cold beer. Depends of the species for me and how premium the area is but I'd have a hard time shelling out much more the $500/day all in...so a 6 day hunt w/ half days in&out would be $4k max.

Good point... I was under the impression that he was talking about an elk/deer hunt. $6k is about what a good one goes for. What I meant was for any critter I can hunt with out a guide I'd rather go that route. I guess my limit would be about $25k +/- otherwise... or what ever an elephant hunt is going for these days. I'd also say for a white sheep hunt the price would be $10k or what ever it takes to go on the hunt.

For an elk/deer/bear/swan/goose/etc... no thanks on a guided hunt if I can go for free.

For an elk/deer/bear/swan/goose/etc... no thanks on a guided hunt if I can go for free.
Gotcha, and I agree...sorta...hypocracy on my part since I could pay to hunt bears, deer and goose.:D

Payed $3k to hunt bear in BC this year. It was a heck of a lot cheaper DIY in MT, but I had to pay to play in BC. I don't think I would pay much more than $3,000 to do it again.

Goats can be done here DIY for a cheap price, but my odds of ever drawing again are slim, so I pay to play on Kodiak. I went $5K. I would probably pay a little more to do it again, but not much.

I would love to chase mule deer in Canada, but I would have to pay. How much would I be willing to pay? Not sure, but probably no more than $4k. Too much good deer hunting in the lower-48, but Canada still gives me a chub.

I have been on 2 guided hunts (my third will be Kodiak). Not a big fan of going with a guide, but gotta play by the rules to hunt some places or critters as an alien or NR.

Can't say I would never hunt waterfowl with a guide. I think it would be pretty cool to hunt Canada with a couple hundred decoys and thousands of geese piling in. Too many other hunting opps that time of year, but maybe when I get too old to climb the mountain. Kinda like Africa....;) :D ;)

never been on a guided hunt. Can't see a reason to get a guide for the lower 48. I like the DIY approach.

I'll be going in '08 on a full guided dall hunt. My expectations are high that my guide be a hard hunting fool. Hopefully hard hunting and some luck will provide opportunity at a good ram. $10k is the price tag. Hopefully It'll leave a good aftertaste.

I guess I'm a hypocryt as well... there is a fine line between paying to hunt and paying for a hunt. :)

For me, it's always been about zero dollars. I couldn't afford or justify a guided hunt when for the same price as a cheap guided hunt, I could probably hunt for a dozen good big game animals on my own.

Gone the guided hunt routine twice -and if I have any say in the matter- I might not again. But, the first one was great!!
The first hunt was a steal -$500 (!!!) to hunt private property on my cousin's in-law's ranch in Montana near Big Timber by the Crazy Mountains for mulies. Drew a tag simply by applying for it, no paying for a sky-high landowner tag. The hunt was EVERYTHING I wanted and expected. Snow, freezing temps, hard hunting, beautiful country, lots of deer... and it was guided by two guys who really knew the area. We all got nice bucks and we tipped the rancher and his son handsomely for their honest, hard work.
The 2nd was the one I "won" by bidding $2,700 at a California Deer Association banquet for an Oregon muley hunt. A good thing to do for the deer, right? Yeah it is, and I shouldn't whine about... but the hunt -how can I put this nicely?- wasn't quite "as advertised." Don't get me wrong, the guides worked hard and we got along great, but they had nothing to work with. It simply wasn't a "quality area" and they were honest enough to admit that right off to me.
With very few deer anywhere, we split up... and after the guides later got a read on what little talent I may have as a hunter, they actually cut me loose and let me hunt entirely ON MY OWN! It nearly paid off and I got a quick offhand, close range shot off at a respectable 4X4 but missed. I still tipped the guides for their efforts -AND for allowing me to hunt on my own.
All in all, it still was a decent hunt, took my best shot and I hunted as hard as I could all day long. I don't have much to complain about, even though my crazy brother wanted me to sue the outfitter for supplying me with what he considered to be a substandard hunt. That's not the way I ride, but I definately can see that $2,700 being spent a little more wisely.

There's very few things in the NA that I would want to pay a guide for that didn't require it by law. Right now I'm guessing that about $5K is all that my finances and wife would allow. Anymore than that and I'd have to do some fast talking or get miller to move in... :D

Can't say I would never hunt waterfowl with a guide. I think it would be pretty cool to hunt Canada with a couple hundred decoys and thousands of geese piling in. Too many other hunting opps that time of year, but maybe when I get too old to climb the mountain. Kinda like Africa....;) :D ;)

Miller, if you want to hunt over a triple digit size goose spread, just come on over. Your blind will be stuffed and waiting...oh and if that dog of yours is any good you can bring it along as well;) I probably only had one hunt in a field that goose numbers were 1k+... however, duck hunts... :D

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back