PEAX Equipment

How much gun is too much?

Yep. Weapons restriction on a Montana B tag. On my property. They like to eat my trees. I like to eat elk. Recovered both slugs. They do the job nicely. Kinda derailing here, sorry op. I used an 870 pump. No rifling. 50 yards is absolute max. mtmuley
That is awesome, haha

Yep. Weapons restriction on a Montana B tag. On my property. They like to eat my trees. I like to eat elk. Recovered both slugs. They do the job nicely. Kinda derailing here, sorry op. I used an 870 pump. No rifling. 50 yards is absolute max. mtmuley

Got a whitetail with buckshot, that stuff is disturbingly effective at 30 yards.

Are you going to bone out or put quarters in the coolers?

I could do either. But one boned out antelope might fit in my current cooler. Don't think I could fit full quarters, though.

I could do either. But one boned out antelope might fit in my current cooler. Don't think I could fit full quarters, though.
I can fit a doe in quarters in my 100qt cooler. A good sized buck would need to be boned to fit in there. Hope that helps

A friend was unsure how bad his .338LM would tear up an antelope this year. He shot one in the ribs with a 300gr Berger and the bullet dropped it without tearing up the meat. We were able to fit 2 does and a fawn in my 140qt cooler with tons of room for ice.

My wife and I both wound up with the Sierra 180-grain GameKing as the do-it-all load in our .30-06s simply because we both got MUCH tighter groups with the 180s over the 150s and especially the 125s. I've read many times that such a load is "too much bullet" for pronghorn, but I can't recall either of us ever failing to drop ours in their tracks with the usual double-lunger from the side.

Of course it's getting hard to remember since it's been so long since either one of us drew a tag for our district....

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back