Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

How Many Years......

Chambo

I am curious as to how many years a dog usually lasts when hunting lions.
Would it be 5 or 6 years or more than that?

On average, I do realize that there are a lot of things that could be a factor,eg,eaten by a lion or hit on the road or maybe take a fall.

------------------
Chambo

gunslinger.gif

IF IT WAS EASY EVERYBODY WOULD BE DOING IT !!!

http://www.hunttalk.com

Chambo, Funny you should ask, In an earlier post engmann99 said "a good coonhound is a death magnet" That is about the best way I have ever herd it put!! Coonhounds, for some reason hardly ever get old enough to retire! I t would be interesting to know what the average age of a hunting hound is?

Chambo-Dont know anybody elses luck with dogs but I have only had two that died of old age as a lion dog. Several have got twisted guts for whatever reason, one was killed by a lion, one had a heat stroke. When they get to about7 years of age or so I usually sell them , unless i have become permanently attached to them. Good trained dogs this age bring about 2500 bucks. I would say the average age or lifespan of a lion dog is about 8 or so! Just guessing! Maybe 9 or ten!bcat

------------------
If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes
bcatrunningcat.gif
Logoboy.jpg

Chambo Most of my hounds live to dye of old age.By the time there 2 they learn witch end of a bear to tangle with and get smart.I consider a hound to be in his prime from 5 to 9 yrs old around 10 they start to slow down.I had a walker Jip I put down last spring that was 14 she hunted till she was 12 and could still carry the pack.I had a walker male that this fall at 10 was as good and fast as a 5 yr old but found him dead in his house 2 weeks after bear season.No bloat or apparent problems just dyed in his sleep.
I had a Black and tan that died in the woods with a coon in his mouth at 13 he had a hart attack,But you couldn't leave him home.I had a redbone that dyed of cancer at 11 and till the cancer got her she was one of my best.I have only lost one dog to a bear a 2 yr old that got under a bear bailing out of a tree.
I have had some very high vet bills over the years,But if they work for me I will supply the health inc.LOL

------------------
We having fun yet//Tobey

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back