How many rounds of steel shot?

The Greek

Can any one give me an idea of how many rounds of steel shot I can put through a choke before I should toss it?
I have a Rem. 870 express. I probily have 3500 rounds through it,With about 500 being steel. I was told thats about all those chokes will take. But I was trap shooting the other day and I dont notice any diffrence in my shooting or my score.

------------------
Good Luck
The Greek

popeye_brut.gif

WOW! Someone actually posted on the waterfowl page! God Bless You, Greek!

To answer your question: I have shot probably the same amount of steel rounds through my gun, too, with no noticable affect on pattern.

When shooting steel, the more open a choke is, the better the pattern.... so my guess is it shouldn't effect it too much. If it's still shooting where you like it, I wouldn't be too concerned.

You might wanna try patterning it at different ranges. Different brands of shotshells can also give markedly different patterns/performance, so try experimenting some until you get performance you like.

Yea I notice it's been a little dead around here lately. I will pimp it to some avid duck hunters I know and see if we can do some thing about it.

------------------
Good Luck
The Greek

popeye_brut.gif

John
It's a screw in. I buy good rifles but to be honest I get cheap shotguns so I can throw them away when I wear them out. I had a double barrel that I wore out 3 firing pins in and several other parts, Cost m more to keep it shooting than I spent on the 870 Rem.

------------------
Good Luck
The Greek

popeye_brut.gif

If it is still bringing down the birds keep shooting through it. I think they are $15 at walmart for a Rem choke.

I bought a 1100 2 years ago. It looks it had 20 years of hard life already. It rides on the tractor with me, in the bed of the pick up. I am not easy on it. I am alot more careful with my rifles.

John

------------------
"When a man lies he murders some part of the world"

Cliff Burton

Greek, I bought a Benelli SBE in '94 that gets about 500 rnds (Two cases) of 3 1/2" #2 steel, every year. 3500 rnds of steel so far. I use an I.C. factory choke and it still patterns great. As I see it, the plastic wad takes the abuse, not the choke.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back