Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

How many rounds do you load at a time?

220yotekiller

So I just put a bunch of brass in the tumbler to clean up. I am going to build a load for my 270 Winchester, I have more cases than bullets so after I do my load development how many rounds should I load up? I'm thinking just biting the bullet and just loading 40 or 50 and be done with it for a while. What do you all do?

I do all the brass prep in a big lot to ensure they’re all the same. I usually go ahead and prime them as well. Most of the time consuming steps are done at this point so I’ll store them until I need loaded rounds.

Then I just load as many as I need in the near future. Before a match or before a hunt. If it’s a competition rifle that might mean 200 rounds. If it’s a big game hunting rifle that is usually 20 rounds.

It takes me many years to get through 100 rounds in a big game rifle. Usually so long that I move on to a different rifle or projectile choice before I’ve shot them all. Then you’ve got to pull the projectiles, dump the powder, resize the necks, etc. it’s just annoying.

For me it depends.
I load multiple weight bullets of different construction for each cartridge.
Example would be my 257 Roberts.
I had 115gr Ballistic Tips & Berger VLD loaded up for deer hunting. 10 each.
Now deer season being over, i've loaded up 75gr Sierra HP Varminter & 90gr BlitzKings for coyote.
5 each sight in rounds, 20 each for hunting.
Add to that the 10 rounds of 100gr Ballistic Tips that i always have if i'm carrying that rifle for the "just in case".

If i don't shoot all of a certain ammo, then there is always range trips, or saved for my next hunt.

That for my 8 hunting rifles.
My wife's range gun i keep at least 100 rounds ready to go.

200 rounds of plinking 9mm, 100 rounds of plinking 45 ACP, and at least 50 rounds of carry ammo for each. (No, i don't carry all that ammo! Just mag in the gun &1 extra mag)

I just came back from the range using 2400 w/110 hp in a 30/30. Five different loads of stepped powder charges. Now that I've decided which one seems best, I'll probably load 100 for silhouette off hand practice this summer. I usually load 50 rd batches or whatever size ammo case is on hand. Sometimes its 60 or 100. Load 'em up.

I will be load in caliber batches. .223 varmint will be as many as I have components for. .223 hunting will be whatever I think I have use for in the near future then double it. 6.5 hunting as many as I think I need doubled. .308 hunting, the same. .300 Weatherby only what I think I will need but minimum of 20. I'll load 9 mm until I'm bored.

I don't really load all that many at a time. I'm usually tweaking and testing things so I generally just load up what I need for testing, etc. When I have something settled that I want to hunt with, I'll load 30. Enough for a good sight in and to hunt with for a season.

I don't really load all that many at a time. I'm usually tweaking and testing things so I generally just load up what I need for testing, etc. When I have something settled that I want to hunt with, I'll load 30. Enough for a good sight in and to hunt with for a season.
Dang it, I used to be like you… I LOVE to tinker, but I just don’t have time for it anymore. Not to mention components availability and pricing. Hope to do it again someday, but “the good ole days” may be gone for good for me. At least until I near retirement

Once I start, I usually load 'em all. Everything I can until I run out of one component or another. Might be a couple hundred 45-70 or a couple thousand 45 acp.

For rifle I keep brass separated in groups of 50. I will try to do batches all at same time for consistency. Size 50 at a time then, load all same bullets/loads at same time. In general, I work brass one day and load bullets another, but not as a rule.

I'm going to qualify what I said before, actually I have probably 2, maybe 3, loads that I'd put together about 40 or 50. I have a couple in .308, 1 in .270, that I'm very satisfied with their velocity and accuracy, and I'm convinced there's nothing more I can do to improve them. But also keep in mind I only load for hunting rifles.

I guess there's one for my 7mm-08 as well, but I really haven't used that rifle in a couple years. Turning it over to my daughter this fall.

It also depends with me. For each of my hunting rifles I keep at least 3 or 4 20-round boxes of loaded ammo for each weight bullet and for each rifle. In addition, I keep at least another 2 or 3 50-round boxes of parctice ammo for each rifle.

For my shotguns, I keep a flat (10 boxes) of loaded target ammo for each guage (12, 20, 28, and .410), plus a flat each of Trap Singles and Handicap shells. That's way down from when I was competing in either Trap or Skeet where a weekend shoot where just to shoot each of the events you would need 400 to 700 shells. I remember one Trap shoot where the event one day was 500 singles targets. At another Trap shoot 5 of us tied with 100 straights in the 16 yard singles, and I went straight in the shoot off until I misses my 97th bird.

I don't compete in any pistol events, but I reload 6 different pistol cartridges and I keep at least 6 50-round boxes for each cartridge, plus additonal boxes for each cartridge with different weight or style bullets. For the pistols (and my .223) that I shoot almost every week, I also keep a quart jar bulk loaded with reloads for each of those pistols and my ,223.

after load development typically 50 or 60 it more or less depends on components on hand

Most of my brass comes with 50 or 100rd boxes so I usually load 50-100 rounds at a time for 6.5CM to 300Win. It's easiest to track number of loadings when the box is empty I check the box and start over.
Small caliber rifles are at least 100 but more likely 500 with a progressive press that really nice.
9mm and 40 I will load until I run out of something...with a progressive press it doesn't take long to crank out 1k which is nice because it zeros out a sleeve of primers and a pound of powder

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back