How many rounds do you carry?

A couple in each pocket, yeah they rattle if I am moving fast but not when stalking-3 in rifle, total about 10.

I carry 3 in the magazine and 10 in the uncle mikes butt stock thing. I used to carry a extra box in my pack when I was younger but after I started carring 15's a spotting scope and a tripod I started paying alot of attention to the weight I carry.

4 or 5 in my rifle and 3 extra. Sometimes I load a round in the chamber but that is usually when I am stalking an animal otherwise I carry the gun without a round in the chamber. I always use the safety when needed.

Load the gun (usually 3-5) and 8 in the cartridge holder. I had a friend, like you Spitz, who just carried what was in his gun and always gave me shit for having carrying extra. Let's just say that if you hunt long enough, shit happens and after watching a wounded critter limp off over the hill while his gun was empty, he now carries as much as I do.

Things can go from fine to hell in a matter of seconds, and carrying more than what my gun will hold has allowed me to correct things from hell back to fine more than once.

A magazine full, and a leather cartritge carrier on my belt, for magnums thats usually 10, for non mags its usually 14.

4 in the magazine. Rarely do I hunt with a round in the chamber until I'm ready to shoot. I also carry 10 rounds in one of those wallet sized holders in my pocket. Backpack hunt......generally 10 more in case scope gets whacked and I need to adjust it. Hasn't happened yet, but never know.

I had a friend, like you Spitz, who just carried what was in his gun and always gave me shit for having carrying extra.

I carry 8. Have said it more than once in this thread.

Let's just say that if you hunt long enough, shit happens and after watching a wounded critter limp off over the hill while his gun was empty, he now carries as much as I do.

Things can go from fine to hell in a matter of seconds, and carrying more than what my gun will hold has allowed me to correct things from hell back to fine more than once.

Dude, aren't you like 23 and a student? :D

While running brush and I have people around me, I NEVER have a bullet in the chamber. When I'm spotting & stalking, I'll put one in the pipe.
The guys I hunt with call me (among other things) the "Walking Arsenal" because I always carry a 20 round pouch and two clips totalling anywhere from 24-26 rounds. At LEAST a half dozen times I've gotten called for to do a bit of long distance lobbing at deer when other guys ran out of ammo. If it's too far I'll hand over my rifle and ammo and wish the shooter good luck.
Yeah, I could travel lighter and have one of those 5-round streachy things that slip over my gunstock, but I like having the extra firepower on hand.
I know that I really should need only one bullet, but I find there are times I've got to back up my hunting partners. (Yeah right -I never miss!! LOL!!)

While running brush and I have people around me, I NEVER have a bullet in the chamber. When I'm spotting & stalking, I'll put one in the pipe.
The guys I hunt with call me (among other things) the "Walking Arsenal" because I always carry a 20 round pouch and two clips totalling anywhere from 24-26 rounds. At LEAST a half dozen times I've gotten called for to do a bit of long distance lobbing at deer when other guys ran out of ammo. If it's too far I'll hand over my rifle and ammo and wish the shooter good luck.
Yeah, I could travel lighter and have one of those 5-round streachy things that slip over my gunstock, but I like having the extra firepower on hand.
I know that I really should need only one bullet, but I find there are times I've got to back up my hunting partners. (Yeah right -I never miss!! LOL!!)

you change your name from Dangerouse Dave to Rambo!!:eek:

I carry what's in the rifle and at least another magazine full.
Once, when I was much younger, I emptied the gun on an antelope, and it was still up (550 yards). I was able to reload and finish it with one more round. Some animals take a lot of killing.
Ammo dosn't weigh much.

Usually one in the chamber, three in the magazine, and nine in the Uncle Mikes wallet-style cartridge carrier on my belt. That has proven sufficient over the years.

Schmalts, really -I can't remember the last time I fired more than one shot at a deer I was zeroed in on. I learned a long time ago that blazing away and lighting the hillside up doesn't kill deer. I don't carry that many rounds thinking I need to shoot them all at one time. I carry them for when something goes wrong. I'll stick with the moniker I got saddled with... it's bad enough. LOL!
Not knocking the other guys who only carry what's in their magazines and a few extras either. It's their choice, and it's smart to pack light. I'm the goofy walking ammo dump that backs up the other guys I hunt with if they run out. DD

I usually carry 5 - 10 rounds. Either fill the rifle and put one in each front pocket, or fill the rifle from one of the plastic 10-round strips and put the rest in my day pack or fanny pack, still in the strip. At camp I will have the rest of the 20 rounds.

I picked up a couple of the stretchy-thingys that go on the rifle stock for my last hunt because I was warned that there might be long-range shooting involved, but did not get a chance to use them.

3 in the clip, couple in each pocket. When I was younger and first hunting I used to borrow my grandfathers old savage 99 he would give me 3 bullets. You had to come home with 1 animal per shell or you couldn't borrow the rifle again. Little did he know there was always an extra box in the glove box.

I usually have a gun full of course, and two or three in everypocket. That way in the heat of the moment whatever pocket I reach for has a few rounds in it. I usually have a few in my pack as well. I would say 15 total.

Usually one in the chamber, three in the magazine, and nine in the Uncle Mikes wallet-style cartridge carrier on my belt. That has proven sufficient over the years.

3 in the rifle and 10 in the belt carrier.

You guys both carry 13 rounds....have ya ever thought about carrying one more, or one less? I'm really not superstitious, but I don't like to take any unnecessary chances. ;)

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back