Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

How many rounds at the range?

That is a lot of gunfire. How is your hearing? I am almost completely deaf
WHAT???

Actually my hearing is good, especially for being 74 and all of the shooting that I've done in the last 60+ years. On the rifle and pistol ranges I always wear ear my Walker muffs, and whenever I'm outside on the shotgun ranges I wear molded plugs. I also have foam plugs with me when I'm hunting, and most of the time I'll put them in before I shoot.

Five 20 round sessions will likely be a lot more beneficial than two 50 round sessions.

Lot to be said for that when either earning to shoot or working on a new rifle. But for working up loads I use three shot group's and seldom shoot more than nine shots. Then like to cool the rifle down and if it's to warm waiting around for that drives me nuts. For sighting in after I've got the load I want, I'll shoot one five shot group and if it's good, call it a day. For practice I like to go somewhere I can shoot farther and plink and then I usually got through 20 rounds with a couple different rifles switching off every few rounds. I enjoy shooting from a bench and it tells me a lot about my rifle and less about me. Going out and plinking at target's at unknown ranges tell's me more about me and probably less about the rifle. Much better shooting field positions getting ready to hunt that shooting off a table!

I normally shoot between 10-20 rounds depending on the rifle. I don't own any "barrel burners" either, but on a range day for me, I normally bring about 3-4 rifles and rotate them after a 3 shot string.

I usually bring 3-4 rifles precisely so I may continue shooting while a barrel cools. Most of my centerfire rifles want to take a thermal break after 4 rounds. I always bring the .22 just to break the cycle. For some reason Savage likes to put heavy barrels on its .338 Federal rifles, so I can usually shoot two mags (8 rounds) before their first break. Daughter's Lightweight Storm can handle four rounds, but it heats up quickly so we usually let it cool down further before shooting again.

Each centerfire rifle in my rotation typically gets 10-20 rounds per session. Any more is a waste.

That is a lot of gunfire. How is your hearing? I am almost completely deaf
Hap,
My best moment was when my wife insisted I get my hearing checked after she needed hearing aids, you would have laughed at the look on her face when the Doc said my hearing was normal! With the exception of Cape Buffalo i have always used hearing protection even when hunting. I have a set of custom amplified in ear units i use and will add muffs when at the range with people shooting next to me particularly with muzzle breaks installed. The AR's I shoot are with cans, I know I have over 1.5 million 12ga shot in competition along with close to that with pistol and maybe a little less with rifle over the past 50 years. You know PH's usually insist on no breaks because being hit by the gasses standing next to a hunter is something they hate.

Back on this thread, usually bring 3-5 rifles to the range to develop loads, don't really care if the barrel heats up when checking velocity working up loads, but wait at least 5 minutes when shooting 3 shot groups. Big stuff I shoot with a "lead sled" so I avoid recoil fatigue and developing a flinch on the bench.

Mike

After site it it's usually field positions. Try to hit clay pigeons on the berms. I have always figured that was a good sized target.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back