Caribou Gear

How many quarts of ice chest for mature bull?

I fill my yeti with frozen jugs of water and then ~10lbs of dry ice and keep it in the shade. It will stay frosty... like the jugs are frozen solid with 0 condensation for a week. Had this set up on POW last week on the when I cracked open the cooler to put in my bear there was still 1/3 a bag of dry ice left... this was 3 days after I put it in.

Also... technically dry ice doesn't melt it sublimates, Solid-> gas rather than solid-> liquid... and yes I know I'm a pedantic POS

I would suggest frozen gallon jugs of water I fill a 150 qt cooler with them and they are usually still rock solid or close to it 6 to 7 days later. I get the cooler cold the night before I leave and don’t open it till I need to. Usually keep it tucked in the shade and it works great. Much cheaper and you will have extra water that can be thawed out and used. My last bull boned out filled a 150 qt and two 60 qt cooler with a row of frozen bottles on the bottom. If weather permits I’d hang the meat overnight let it get cool before putting it on your ice.

Back