How many points / applications

jt4

How many different states and species do you put in an application for or buy a point for each year?

What does it cost you a year for all the tags and points you put in for every year?

if you want to link previous threads on this topic that would be great. I have a tough time searching and finding what I’m looking for from just my phone

Last edited:
How many different states and species do you put in an application for or buy a point for each year?

What does it cost you a year for all the tags and points you put in for every year?
There are a couple of threads on this that you might want to checkout.

Most important thing is to have a plan for every point you buy.

I apply across the board in MT with the thought that I might move back in 6- 10 years.

In WY I apply for antelope and Elk. I’m going to hunt elk in the next 2 years with the general tag. Antelope I really want to hunt a red desert unit, any year that I think I could actually go I put in a app and hope for the random draw, if my schedule is crazy I buy a point.

I apply across the board in CO because it’s where I grew up so if I did draw a super crazy tag like a sheep I have family connections that would make it doable no matter what.
I apply similarly in UT and AK, I have connections and apply for hunts that I could make easier with help from friends.

I skip AZ, NV, WA, OR, because it would be difficult logistically.

Last every one in awhile I apply in NM or NH.

As far as cost it depends, some states like AK and UT you can apply 2 years on one base license if you play it right, so it varies. I’d say $1000 average... depending on what I draw, if it get a bunch of out of state tags that goes up.

The one thing that drives me crazy is when folks get on here with 15 points and have no idea what to do with them... like you’ve been applying for a decade and haven’t done any research...

Put in for WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, NV, UT, CO, AZ and NM out West plus TX and KS. 101 big game applications plus 3 turkey apps. Have not crunched the numbers recently but for required hunting licenses, conservation, card fees charged by F&G, application fees, yada yada to apply then am out about $2000. Add annual cost of Huntin' Fool, Epic Outdoors, GoHunt and OnX.

At times have more than $18,000 on deposit with F&G at one time. I apply for points for 22 of the 101 applications and many of the rest are 1 in 200 or tougher odds unless are where I have a dozen or more preference points for an "easy for an old guy" hunt where some are 50% to 100% odds but I am sitting on points risking the game changes before burn the points.

I usually draw 2 or 3 tags. The tags are anywhere from $300 to over $2000.

I also drop around $3000 on state-run super tag lotteries and WY Commissioner tag raffles.

For the tags I draw, if I can drive then is around $2500 door to door if go on my own on public land not counting the tag cost. If fly then closer to $5000. Those are rough numbers though includes fuel, food, lodging, vehicle rental, plane fare, special gear needed, sat phone activation and minutes, Euro mount, etc.

I spend less than $100 a year on booze, don't smoke, no drugs, etc. Hunting is my hobby and passion. We maintain two homes and travel some so is not a major sacrifice to fund my hunting though was in my 20s to 40s. Now, the legs and belly of an old guy are the limiting factors really.

I put in for WA moose/sheep only cuz I’m a resident
MT Deer/elk/antelope
UT moose/deer/elk/antelope
WY deer/elk/antelope
NM deer/elk/antelope
SD deer
CO deer/elk/antelope

Need to start putting in for AZ and NV.

With licenses and points before actually drawing anything I probably spend $300 a year on drawings. That doesn’t include the money up front for some of the tags

I apply every year, for just about everything in:

NV, WY, MT, AZ, UT, CO, TX.

Off and on and in the past, maybe again, maybe not: NM, AK, ID.

Raffle sheep tags in a few others.

The only tags I count on drawing are 3 elk tags, 2 buck deer, 2 buck pronghorn in Wyoming and the NR MT native deer tag that is OTC.

Depending on the year, what I apply for, luck of the draw, maybe 1 or 2 additional to those.

Resident in Colorado so everything in CO. Try to hunt Antelope every year in wyoming, building up points for deer and elk in Wyoming. Keep it under $1000 a year.

Wyoming- Elk deer antelope

Montana- elk

Colorado- elk deer antelope

Utah - elk gen deer, limited deer, sheep, moose, Bison

Arizona- elk deer antelope

Kansas- deer

Iowa - deer

Kentucky- elk

South Dakota- deer

New Mexico- elk deer

Ohio- limited entry deer hunts

Not sure on the cost never really added it up lol

I apply or build points for myself in: MT, WY, CO, AZ, NV, UT, SD
I apply or build points for my boys in: MT, WY, CO, NM, OR

This year is going to be different, though. Nothing like a global pandemic to put the screws to my discretionary spending.

If you have Go hunt they have a good breakdown for all western states and for each species. It shows nonrefundable costs such as hunting license and application fees as well as the total upfront cost. I have just got into the point game and have been applying for tags that I may have a slight chance of getting or just points. Also do sheep for most western states.

I apply for or get points for elk/deer in AZ, WY, CO, MT, NM, and PA. I have it planned out that hopefully I draw WY General next year and progress through my points year after year from then on. Then start the process over again. Obviously AZ and PA might take longer and NM is a crapshoot. I would have to check online receipts to get the total $ which I don’t want to do. It might discourage me.

As far as cost it depends, some states like AK and UT you can apply 2 years on one base license if you play it right, so it varies.
You can pull this off in AZ as well as long as the dates line up. I know it works for preference points, not sure I would take that approach if I knew I was going to draw.

Anything and everything in Wyoming and I’ve been thinking about starting to apply for mule deer in Colorado and moose in Idaho. Bought a few Colorado sheep and goat raffle chances from the RMBS. After much debate I gave up on my Montana points this year, but I’m in the lucky position of being a NR native with over the counter deer and elk opportunities when I go home to hunt with family.

AZ- Deer, Elk, Antelope, Sheep, Turkey, Sandhill Crane
UT- Elk, Mule Deer, Sheep, Goat
NM- Elk, Coues Deer
WY- Antelope, Elk
NV- Mule deer, Elk, Sheep
Haven't tallied it all up as far as costs. Don't really want to look... :LOL:
NM and WY are the only states I apply for that require up front costs so I am strategic there and don't apply for more than 2 species each.

I’ve changed a little over the years, but:

CO: everything. Psyched to get an archery deer tag this year after throwing my 16 point collar last year
WY: Elk, Antelope, deer, Goat. Gave up on Moose and Sheep when they jacked the mandatory point fees. Usually just points, but this year I put in for the GEN elk tag and will continue to until I draw it.
NM: Elk, Sheep, Oryx, Ibex, Turkey - none have greater than 2.5% odds.
AZ: Elk, Sheep, Antelope, Turkey (Gould’s). Like a 6-10 year plan
MT: Sheep, Goat
WI: Turkey (family place)
VT: Moose when they have NR open
FL: Occasionally for Osceolas when I remember and feel like being frustrated by a game and fish dept/draw process

Plus a handful of raffle tickets I buy in CO and elsewhere.

I have a massive spreadsheet with all kinds of data and macros in it, but I no longer look at the non refundable costs of the above.

I apply in AZ, NM, UT, and points only in WY. Because I work it around to all but guarantee one elk and one deer tag, it runs me roughly $1400 total for two tags plus those apps, licenses and points depending on where the tags came from. Thinking of dropping UT with their massive fee increases.

Pretty much everything across the board except the three west coast states
ID, NM, UT, NV, CO,WY, MT, IA,ME, NB, TX, AK, NH all get my money

I apply as many places as I can afford (and then some), but I can’t apply everywhere I would like to!

For myself I apply:
CO – elk, deer, pronghorn, bear, desert bighorn, moose
WY – elk, deer, pronghorn, moose
UT – elk, deer, deer general, pronghorn, desert bighorn, rocky mountain bighorn
NH – moose
AZ – elk, pronghorn
WI – elk
MT – elk point only
Usually do a couple raffle tags in CO

Been hesitant on AZ since I have to buy the license to apply, and it's expensive. I’ve done it the past two years, however, and will likely continue with the hope that eventually I'll be able to draw an elk tag and transfer it to one of my sons. I only do elk/pronghorn here so I can avoid buying the license every year. I do it for the elk tag and pronghorn just gets added on because it only costs and additional $15.

Utah also allows me to only buy a hunting license every other year.

With that in mind, for the average year, I spend about $850 for myself.

For my wife I apply:
CO – elk, deer, pronghorn
WY – elk, deer, pronghorn

For my sons I do elk points in MT since they are too young for anything else

I also want to take my dad on a cow moose hunt, so I put him in for points in CO.

For all of us, it costs me a bit over $1200.

If I get a tag, it’s on top of that.

I currently have points or tags for elk, pronghorn, and deer in MT, WY, and CO. I am thinking about adding Utah to the mix.

So far this year I've done or will do for sure
Montana: Deer, Elk, Mountain Goat, Moose, also supertag raffle tickets
Colorado: Deer and Sheep
Arizona: elk, deer, desert sheep, turkey, javelina, also statewide raffles
New Mexico: deer and sheep
Idaho: sheep

Huntin Fool: a bunch of raffles
Epic outdoors: a few raffles
various state WSF chapters: more Sheep raffles
RMBS Colorado: Sheep and goat raffles

Last edited:
Back