Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

How many pairs of boots

fattybinz

I started hunting last year so I had to accumulate a lot of gear very quickly. I went with a cheap pair of Lacrosse 600g insulated boots. For being a cheap pair, these have been great. Got maybe 100+ miles on them and they fit me well and with a good pair of socks keep me reasonably warm in the late season. My one complaint is that once I get tired, it feels like they are very heavy. They mysteriously become heavier and heavier as the day goes on and the more I hike. Scheel's page says they weigh in at 4 lbs. I'm wondering if I should get a second pair of lighter boots for the early season when insulation isn't necessary. Wondering if having two boots, one insulated and one not, is common. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Very common to have insulated and uninsulated boots. Early season hear in Washington (Sept) can be in the 80's during the day (normal day temps in the mountains of Washington during early season is in the mid 60's to low 70's, nights in the 40's) so having a pair of insulated boots is overkill unless you have poor circulation in your limbs. Like most places in the West winters/late season can get as cold as the teens or negative temps in the mountains depending on where you hunt. Scouting and spring time can also be cold in the mountains of Washington (Having multiple pairs of both you will find very helpful (It's almost inevitable you will need your back up pair at some point during season). Its not a must but having a 2nd pair of boots for both seasons is nice (2 pair of early season and 2 pair of late season). It's not always cost effective and as your gear supply grows, consider a 2nd pair of boots.

I find that I can regulate my foot temps in the early season with wool socks (light to medium density wools depending on temps). If your packing loads (backpacking gear or meat) consider a boot with mid height ankle support (All it takes is one twisted ankle using low ankle support boots will teach you all the lessons you need to consider a good mid to high ankle boot). Boots themselves are very subjective so you won't get any suggestions from me. Boot choice really is all about what works for you and your feet and everyone is different.

I would recommend that you don't pigeon hole yourself on just "hunting" boots either. Use what makes sense and fits your foot. I've got a fair pile of 100+ lb backpacking miles on glorified running shoes and wouldn't do it any differently. There might be hikers, running shoes, or mountaineering boots that fit your needs just right. Keep an open mind.

I have to admit I have a few...
Low un insulated Kenetrek, High 400 gr Kenetrek, Heavy 1200 gr Kenetrek , -100* Soral, and artic Muck boots.

Best boots I have are 150 buck Keen hiking boots I bought from REI. Doesn't have to be a camo "hunting" boot to use it for hunting. When we ain't shooting or sitting, we're just hiking with a weapon. Funny story. I have a pair of Red Wing pull on boots I wear for work. Left for deer camp right after work last year. Got up in the morning, hiked a good 5 or 6 miles during the day, looked down, and I noticed I had accidentally put on my work boots when I woke up instead of my hiking boots. My feet were comfortable all day. Never would have thought a pair of safety toes would work so good in the hills of Colorado.

Probably 6 is the right number. Need insulated mountain boots, non-insulated mountain boots, desert mountain boots, pac boots, rubber boots, and maybe some low top boots or trail shoes. Not sure you can hunt without all 6...

If I'm backpacking or hiking in the mountains, I wear running shoes or trail runners. Lightweight synthetic boots have no application for me, although if you have weak ankles they could replace the running shoes. Off trail I wear 4 lb all leather 9" boots for almost all hunting. These are good down to about -5 degrees if I'm moving, and 20 degrees if I'm sitting. I have 6 lb boots with liners that I use for colder applications, mostly deer hunting from a stand in Dec/Jan, or ice fishing. Muck boots for waterfowl and wetlands.

I have crappy ankles, so I need the support. I have uninsulated Pronghorns and Irish Setter Elk Hunter’s and insulated Kenetreks. The Elk Hunters are my go to boot.

I wear Kenetrek mountain extremes 400's all year, although a light weight pair for light hiking might be great. You may also think about upgrading your insoles. I changed out my Kenetrek insoles to superfeet insole.

I typically hunt in November here in the Rockies so I have two pair of Danner Canadians which are 600 gram insulation. I walk a lot so I alternate a pair everyday to let the previous days pair dry out. I also have a uninsulated pair of Danner Pronghorns for the rare times I don't hunt when it's so cold.

I bought two different pair of Asolo boots on Sierra Trading Post this winter and have loved them both so far, not to mention the price tag. I like being able to rotate, hopefully they'll last longer that way.

Probably 6 is the right number. Need insulated mountain boots, non-insulated mountain boots, desert mountain boots, pac boots, rubber boots, and maybe some low top boots or trail shoes. Not sure you can hunt without all 6...
I was going to say 7, all of the ones you have mentioned plus a pair of crocs for camp shoes.

I have 3 currently, un-insulated leather schnee's 9in, trail runner's, insulated pair of xtratufs.

Wow...okay I thought I was being over-the-top wanting a second pair. Anyone have any suggestions for a cheaper (<$100) brand/pair of lightweight boots with good ankle support?

I always take 3 and sometimes 4 pair of boots hunting CO second season. Some years it may be warm and dry when lightweight hikers are the ticket. Then the temps might dive and snow a foot or more when the insulated Pronghorns or Sorel pac boots are important. Gotta be prepared.

Btw, my Sorels are good ones made in Canada with Vibram soles. Still in decent shape after 34 years of winter use. I have some Cabela's speed hunters that I've used for ~15 years, but only wear them for hunting. I wish I could buy a quality insulated hunting/mountaineering boot like a Kenetrek but they don't make them in XX-wide sizes. I need a 10.5 4E.

Last edited:
I always take 3 and sometimes 4 pair of boots hunting CO second season. Some years it may be warm and dry when lightweight hikers are the ticket. Then the temps might dive and snow a foot or more when the insulated Pronghorns or Sorel pac boots are important. Gotta be prepared.

Btw, my Sorels are good ones made in Canada with Vibram soles. Still in decent shape after 34 years of winter use. I wish I could buy a quality insulated hunting/mountaineering boot like a Kenetrek but they don't make them in XX-wide sizes. I need a 10.5 4E.

Not a light packer I take it ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back