How Long Meat in Freezer

I’m thought this has been discussed at least in part but I couldn’t find the threads anywhere.

My question is what is the oldest frozen meat you would make (or have made) Jerkey from? Meat is frozen and vacuum sealed with 3 mil bags in muscle groups. I thought I’d seen it discussed on here as to I how long meat is good in the freezer with most saying 1-2 years, however since it’s for jerkey does this extend the useable life of freezer stored meat?
Well....it varies wildly...my processor whos been at for a long time and a professional butcher has quit using pork fat for sausage and burger mix and he says pork fat will get rancid even in a freezer. My rule of thumb has always been 1 yr. Fish, 2 years any meat thats prepped as steak roast etc. And 3 yrs on any stew type meats. Jerky would fall into that catagory. The above all vac sealed and bags retaining integrity. I have as others tried meats that were older and they were fine. I think much has to do with handling after the kill...

Last edited:
If the bag doesn’t fail I don’t think there’s a time limit on lean meat. The fat can turn, but it takes a while. If the bag fails you can get freezer burn quite quickly. I’d rather turn freezer burned meat into ground meat than jerky, even after trimming.

Found a couple of packages of elk streak in my wife's freezer from when we first started dating. I think this elk was technically killed in Jan 2018. Grilled it up last night. Didn't see any freezer burn, but the flavor was slightly off. Not sure what it was from. Still got eaten though. 20220811_180016.jpg

Just pulled the last antelope steaks out of the freezer last week and they were great! This was from a 2019 harvest, so almost three years in the freezer in vacuum sealed bags.

According to the USDA, frozen beef will “keep indefinitely if it remains frozen.”

In short, frozen red meat never goes “bad.” I pulled a package of elk burger from 2017 out just this week. It had got mixed up with my 2020 bull somehow. It was in perfect condition with no freezer burn or discoloration. I double plastic wrap then wrap that in freezer paper. Never had that setup get freezer burn.

I’m working on 2020. If anyone wants some elk or moose meat I have some to spare in my freezer lol

My wife and I made a giant meat backlog 2019 and have been playing catch-up ever since. Who'd have known that it takes a long time for 2 people to eat a moose, elk, bear, mule deer, and 7 whitetails.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back