Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

How long do I have? Head in garage!

wolfpup

So I finally connected on a bull elk on Saturday. I am going to Euro Mount him but won't have time to actually skin the head and remove brain matter, etc. for a few days. So realistically.... how long do I have before it starts to stink my garage up? Temps in the garage will reach 80 - 85 degrees this week during the day.

You should be smelling it by now, hide will keep it contained a bit. But time is a ticking. And maggots be starting. All in your tolerance for "how much smell" On one of my last elk, a guy in town was doing them decent and fairly cheap, so I took it to his house 3-4 days after I killed (skinned out head and lower jaw removed). And it was smelly to me in garage...but I brought it to his garage and he had plenty laying around that were "riper" and he wasn't going to get to it for awhile. His tolerance was definitely higher!

You have time to be on here, you have time to skin it lol

Seriously though usually takes me 15 min to skin out an elk. I always do it in the field.

If you skin in out and then dump some salt on it, maybe a cup of mortons, and put it in a game bag you should be good to go for a week.

DO NOT PUT IT IN A TRASH BAG

^ this will become a bio weapon

You have time to be on here, you have time to skin it lol

Seriously though usually takes me 15 min to skin out an elk. I always do it in the field.

If you skin in out and then dump some salt on it, maybe a cup of mortons, and put it in a game bag you should be good to go for a week.

DO NOT PUT IT IN A TRASH BAG

^ this will become a bio weapon

This is sound advice.

The trash bag part is spot on. I did this one time and my taxidermist threatened to hang me by my toes if I ever pulled a stunt like that again!

Skin the head ASAP and find time to take care of it. Even if it involves some late nights.

You did a great looking euro last year if I recall so you know your way around the process shouldn't take that long.

Elk are way easier and quicker to euro than deer. Everything is a bit more sturdy and you can put a lot more force into the process without having to worry about damaging anything.

15 minutes? I usually count my time in beers skinning elk and deer out. Elk are usually 4 16oz. Coors lights sometimes 5 if the lower jaw is being a pain and deer usually about 3 16oz. Coors light so either way about 20 to 30 min and then I got a buzz on so it's a win win deal. 🍺🍻

At minimum you have to get the hide off of it! If you REALLY don't have time for the rest you should fully submerge the skull in a tub of water (maceration). Keep it in the shade. This will also help with cleaning the rest of it when you can get around to doing it. Changing the water out every couple days is best, but I've gone about a week in the same bath with cooler temps (60's). I don't recommend that long though.

Skin it and throw it in a tub with baking soda, change it every few days.
Just let the hose run in the tub until it runs clear then add more baking soda. 💥

15 minutes? I usually count my time in beers skinning elk and deer out. Elk are usually 4 16oz. Coors lights sometimes 5 if the lower jaw is being a pain and deer usually about 3 16oz. Coors light so either way about 20 to 30 min and then I got a buzz on so it's a win win deal. 🍺🍻

mmmm yes this is a good way to measure time.

Also the lower jaw doesn't need to be frustrating on big critter. I think most people are use to doing deer where you can basically just rip it off so they aren't in the practice of removing everything properly.
If you spend 10 min making on the necessary cuts it should come off with very little force.

Skinning out a bears skull and turning the ears takes 2 Rainer's and a dogfish sour

Thanks fellas ... I got home yesterday and took care of all the camper stuff and then had to work today and got half of the meat processed tonight so I should be good until Wednesday night ... no smell yet and no complaints so should be good to go .

Back