Caribou Gear

How long do I have? Head in garage!

Change of plans .... the garage has a funk this morning so I submerged the head in water and will take care of it first thing after work!

Attachments

• 033662D2-9BB8-4576-9C3F-3A1C1F8523FA.jpeg
    033662D2-9BB8-4576-9C3F-3A1C1F8523FA.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
My buddy played this game with a deer head a couple years ago. He shot it during early rifle season on the Saturday before Labor Day and wanted to get it tested for CWD. CPW didn't open until Tuesday so the head sat in his garage in 90+ temps for two days before he took it in, and it was getting ripe quickly. The rookies at the CPW office apparently were gagging while trying to learn how to take their first CWD test sample. Then he took it to the taxidermist for beetle cleaning and left it outside the shop. The taxi came home and took a whiff and told him to drive all the way back out and take it back because HE sure as heck wasn't going to touch it! So my buddy had to take home the rotting head and clean/boil it himself after 3 1/2 days, I stopped by to say hello but couldn't get within 10 feet of that sucker. He had a mask and all on but was still having a rough time, I thought it was great. The best part was, two months later my dad took the head of a deer I shot into CPW for a mandatory CWD test, and while he was there the supervisor was telling someone else about how a guy with a little blonde kid brought in a rotten deer head back in September, and how he made the rookies take a sample out of it even though it was way too far gone.

Last edited:
Lol .. this isn’t ripe yet but just a funk ... cold water will keep the rot out until after work... a little chapstick on my upper lip and I’ll get it done ... I got half the meat processed last night with plenty of ice on the other half the meat so I will take care of the head and then the rest of that meat after.

You have time to be on here, you have time to skin it lol

Seriously though usually takes me 15 min to skin out an elk. I always do it in the field.

If you skin in out and then dump some salt on it, maybe a cup of mortons, and put it in a game bag you should be good to go for a week.

DO NOT PUT IT IN A TRASH BAG

^ this will become a bio weapon
For real, get that thing skinned and salted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back