How do you pick what size of a mule deer to shoot?

I dont believe in trophy hunting, not that shooting a giant wouldnt be cool. I hunt whitetails and the way I see it is that if I can put steaks on the grill and maybe grind up some sausage that sucker is goin down.

I tend to agree with you, but with a little twist.

I spent years hunting in Az and NM and was more than happy to just put meat in the freezer. I was not about to eat a tag if I could help it because we have always basically lived on wild meat. Here in Nebraska, there has been so much opportunity to fill the freezer with wt does, that I really have no reason to shoot a small buck anymore. I shoot mainly does and rarely see a buck worth shooting in my opinion.

However, if I have a buck-only tag, that tag is going to get filled if at all possible. It is all about the meat with me and a full freezer equals a successful hunt. I can't justify the expense of going out-of-state to hunt deer, as we have so many here, but if I went to all the expense and time to go to Wyoming or wherever to hunt deer, I am going to bring some meat home.

If you are into the antler thing, that is great and I would sure enough take a big deer if at all possible and the area was known to produce them. In the end, I'll take the meat and run, though.

Like most everyone else I try to kill bucks wider than their ears. If the season is winding down and I'm not seeing anything wider than a 24" 4 point. I will try and shoot something I don't wana see breeding in the area. In nevada it seems you get a buck tag every 4-5 years. So I haven't had many tags since leaving the youth hunts. I get to go hunting every year with someone just don't get to shoot often.

My Question to myself is "am I ready to be done hunting this year?"

I have yet to have a mule deer in my sights with an opportunity to really dissect his score. It just comes down to "big enuf? BANG"

There are a couple of Mule deer I had at full draw in the archery season that can thank there lucky stars I wasn't ready to be done yet...

That said, I've managed to shoot the biggest deer I've seen in range each time I've hunted mule deer. Nothing book size yet but I've never felt like the buck wasn't worth ending my hunt.

I also put in for extra doe tags every year and count on filling the freezer with deer from that hunt. Now that my wife and daughter hunt, I am more engaged in finding them deer and having them shoot one. They both like hunting and don't care if its a forky or a mature deer, they want to shoot the first legal deer that offers them a shot. I let them know that if we are hunting together and we find a big buck, they get the opportunity. I have done this with many friends and know eventually, I will get a shot at one.

I spoke with a biologist today and was told the area I am hunting produces quite a few deer that are 3-4 years old. Deer that live longer than that in my area, seem to be about 1 in 500 bucks. The biologist informed me that the aerial counting and winter range areas of my unit produced 2 bucks that were 30" or bigger out of approx. 20,000 deer. There could be one or two others, but not likely. 23-26' deer are more likely and even those are going to be hard to find because of the long hunting seasons with multiple game opportunities.

Thanks for all the advice and comments guys. Everyone has personal goals and sets their own hunts in accordance with those goals. I don't think there is ever a be all standard for any animal that is hunted, unless put on by the state game department, but as individual hunters we all have our personal standards.

I hope 2014 brings HuntTalkers with filled deer tags, with the chosen "size" of deer up to the individual hunter.

I try to set the bar a little higher every year. Don't always turn out that way but that is my thoughts going into it. That is if your hunting the same place every year though because you have to be realistic about the size depending on where your hunting.

I Will shoot alot smaller buck if its a special hunt or trip such as last year i shot the first buck that i had been able to shoot with my grandpa, it could have been a 2 point and i would have been just as happy, however.... If im out by myself or close to home i look for a good 3 point or bigger that i dont mind carrying the distance back to the truck i usually shoot it if i know i want to, if you have to think too long dont shoot it. but im also a poor college student who cant afford the luxury of time and excessive gas money spent.

Growing up, my family lived off of venison and elk, so we shot the first legal animal we saw and then filled our doe tags, and we could all do so in our back yard, so essentially 6 deer only cost us about 120$ as a family...we couldnt afford beef from the store. Now as I have moved into my own accord and to a new state, i fill my 3 doe tags for meat, and shoot the first buck i see that looks "decent". ill pass on forkies and small 2x3's but if its bigger than that, It's venison tenderloin for dinner! I have begun to do more pre-season scouting and trying to pattern "decent" bucks...but out here, its only a matter of getting away from the truck and actually hiking andduring the rut you will find just about any deer you want.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back